Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here comes the hate

Options
124»

Comments

• Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    edited May 2014
    Options

By the way, just because a company -starts- with carbon copying another (which in the case of egg, there is really not much to carbon copy from), it doesn't mean they cannot innovate. If KJ has stolen something in "Divide and Conquer", it is from those people that made all those after market egg products (spider, etc.) -not- from BGE themselves.

And I really hope those people can get KJ to pay up for stealing their ideas.

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I don't know about that. BGE's look like they were very closely modeled after the Imperial kamado #5.
    Gittin' there...
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Gadfly said:

cazzy said:

Gadfly said:

mrdnks said:

I am not sure why you are on an EGG forum asking about other brands?
    Why dont you go to their forum and ask questions.
    If this offends you, oh well. Bye bye

Well, I have an egg and I consider it my right to post here.

BUT, my next ceramic cooker will not be an egg. The whole fiasco of shipping defective gasket -even after they knew the problem- was a such big turn off for me I lost my respect for this company.

And the OP is right about lack of innovation. They have this great community going for them and the brand name. But that's about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The KJ is a carbon copy of the egg, so who is lacking innovation? They have a lot going for them besides the community.

Sure, it would have been great to have a better gasket, but did they not make it right? Did they not fix the issue on the egg? You lost respect of a company for something they fixed for you and for future customers? I installed a Rutland when my non-nomex "defective" gasket fried after a year when I did a pizza cook.

Did I say I am going to buy a KJ?

Also, when I bought my egg I burned my gasket on third cook. I came to this forum and found out that the issue has been known for at least a couple of years if not more. I am not sure what you are blabbering about when you say they fixed it. why wasn't this fixed when I bought mine??

Drink the coolaid all you want. You know, it really gets me how religious people get on this forum about BGE. Go to -any- other forum of users of a product and you will see many posts on complains people have about the said product. Here in this forum it is not kosher to complain about how badly BGE is handling something. Are you paid by them to defend them or something?

And what the hell about moving this to OT?? I think they don't want negative impressions to be on the first page.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I only like grape Kool-Aid, not the green flavor that they're offering. Overall, I'm just not petty about some simple **** that can be fixed in 30 minutes. :P Really though, I don't think you hear a ton of complaints because there isn't a lot to complain about after the gasket. The fix was put into place within the last year or a lil less...which is them shipping the eggs with the Nomex gasket. That's not perfect either...install a Rutland and don't look back.

Im out of the honeymoon phase...the egg is another cooking tool for me. If it's the best man for the job, it suits up. Some peeps fire up their egg for something that could be done in their oven or stove top with identical results. I guess I'm not a die hard...

The next thing they'll do is stop bumping the thread for new posts. There is no moderation until someone thinks it's bad publicity. Their input is too inconsistent.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I heard that person went through gender transofmation and is now properly referred to as she.
    He/she still dresses like a he. But, then I don't know what goes on when the lights come on in the evening.

Now, I'll ask the question again, are you coming down for the NH fest?
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    @nolan8v you sure have a beautiful rig 
    Holy Mother of God, how long does that KK take to come to temp - and how many BAGS of lump do you need to get it going for a single cook?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    So most of you know I just sold my LBGE all because i wanted a nest setup and got rid of table and ended up getting more then i asked for for the egg and table. I have since kicked around the KJ BIG Joe or Classic with the new cool designs and divide and conquer system they have it seems like lots of innovation for tonight at least, I can get the Classic (LBGE Size) for 854 out the door with cart and side tables. the BIG joe is 1350 for same stuff. I am lookinh at about the same for the LBGE at egg fest after driving to get it.. and about 300 cheaper for the XLBGE but it appears the divide and conquer system offsets the need for Adj rig (at least for some applications) 

So here is the question and dont be hateful guys. I really love the family we have here......regardless of how dysfunctional it is. 
    I am looking at the steps kj is taking foward and the egg has not changed... ALSO##### the warranty issue is bothering me. I understand that if i crack my egg, i have to utilize dealer to get a replacement and its at their leisure because of shipping cost unless i want to pay them correct?  Well if you crack KJ, send a pic to warranty dept and they ship you one out directly no charge at all. This is a factor for me since my dealer is almost 2 hours away. 

help, ideas, pros/cons appriciated. 
    I was in a similar boat..already own a Mini BGE (rocks!) and wanted something larger..

Looked long and hard at LBGE, Primo (loved the oval design/split grid but hated the no spark screen which wound up to be "the" deal killer) and KJ Classic - and went with the KJ.

It's a very good quality grill, and I do like how they TRY (more on that below) to keep coming up with new improvements , BUT..

When I got my grill, it did come with the new Divide & Conquer system - but not the half moon deflectors or the X-Rack.  (Instead, I got a pizza stone as a deflector - which arrived broken - and no X-Rack). I thought there must be some mistake in shipping, so I emailed and called them..to make a long story short - they were advertising shipping things they did not yet have in stock, and hacked together "something" just so they could ship grills.

A bunch of the guys on the "other" forum seem OK with this, but it didn't set well with me whatsoever..they advertise "you get X" (and have videos up on their site showing all of the nifty accessories you get), and that was a HUGE part of my decision to go KJ over BGE.  Now, 2 months later, I'm STILL waiting for the X-Rack to arrive as it apparently isn't off the boat from China yet.  Not happy.

I will say that they did really make an effort to get to the bottom of it, and their Customer Service rep pulled some half moon deflectors from another grill and sent them to me.  One of the two owners also called and we had a good conversation..but I do think it's somewhat unethical for a company to promote that you get certain things when you buy the grill, only for the grill to show and be told that those things are something they're changing at some point later, and are not available yet.  That's pretty hokey.

I'm also not sure if it's just user error on my part (still learning the grill or what), but this thing CHEWS lump like nobody's business.  Maybe my perception is just skewed coming from the Mini, but it seems to take piles and piles of lump, and burns through it quickly.  (Of course, I'm using RO but it sure seems to last a heck of a lot longer in the Mini BGE than the KJ, where I burn through most of what I've put in there in a single cook..)

I like the D&C grid system but also wound up buying an AR from Tom and an Ash Dragon firebox divider (haven't tried either yet) as a possible solution to using less lump.  (Needed the AR as the Ash Dragon does not fit with the D&C - it's too wide.  Since the AR just sits on the fire ring, the Dragon will work with that OK.  But no joy with the D&C, so there's a big chunk of additional cost for long term lump savings..)

Bottom line is that I don't have any way to compare the KJ Classic to the LBGE, but am always wondering.."hmmm...maybe if it was a LBGE I wouldn't be having all these problems.."

I WILL say that the KJ wood handles, wood (vs plastic) side shelves and "nest" is a heck of a lot nicer than BGE's.  (PLASTIC..REALLY?!!)  And the new temp controller (wireless) they are coming out with (someday..they've also been promising that "soon" for quite a while now) looks pretty cool.  So, +1 to KJ for innovation/doing new things and -10 for not being entirely straight up in their marketing..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Also - another big difference is the community..while some may say it's a cult, coolaid drinkers, whatever, it's pretty nice to see the huge amount of participation here, while - as someone upthread said, the "other" forum is like a desert island.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I researched all of the ceramics before I purchased my XL last year, My main reason for purchasing the BGE was the quality of the ceramics and the longer cook times. Other grills like the Primo offer features such as being able to add charcoal in the middle of a cook, but by question is why should you have to?
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    KJ claims they have a thicker overall ceramic (which I believe has been proven to be the case) but I believe it's also less "dense".

No idea whatsoever what that does overall to cook times or lump consumption, but the general impression I've gotten from tons of reading is that both cookers "supposedly" work just about the same, and people can't tell the difference in food cooked on one vs. the other.

Now, lump consumption is a whole nother story..no idea on that.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I think the winner on lump consumption is the Big Steel Keg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    My first exposure to the Egg was several years ago on a fishing trip out of Alabama,  Before we left the dock, I noticed that every single one of the many charter boats had an Egg on it.  We caught 24 Red Snapper that day and cooked two of them up on the way back in.  Ever since then, I was the one who was hooked!  I am coming up on my one year Eggaversary, cook on the thing all the time, have zero complaints, and have become a much better cook because of this forum. Just get the Egg and be done with it.
    Milton, GA.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    edited May 2014
    Options

@SmokyBear,

Re: Holy Mother of God, how long does that KK take to come to temp - and how many BAGS of lump do you need to get it going for a single cook?

Surprisingly, it does not require as much lump as one would think it does. I must admit that this is a very fuel-efficient tool for all types of cooking.

It is relatively quick to get the KK up to desired temp. However, it can quickly get away from you if you are not paying attention. Once it gets above your desired temp, it takes a long time to get the temp back down. I normally let it get "heat soaked" before I start my low and slow cooks. This takes me on average 40 minutes since I am preparing the meat while the grill is getting soaked. It can probably soak quicker, but I always get distracted and forget to check it sooner. Once it is soaked, it is very easy to maintain low temps on it without the need for a DigiQ or similar device. However, every once in a while, I do use my DigiQ and Maverick 733 toys when I am doing overnight cooks just because I have them and I like using them from time to time. I do use the Maverick just about every cook because it is a handy toy that prevents the need for me to go outside to check the temps for grate and meat temps.

I have done multiple low and slow cooks for 18 hours ( at 200-250 degrees) and had ample fuel left over. Mind you that I did not use a lot to begin with.

If I remember, I will weigh the amount of lump that I use for my next low & slow, log the dome temp, grate temp, etc., the type & weight of meat that I am cooking as well as time it takes to reach the desired meat temp.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I have an XL and am intrigued by the KJ divide and conquer rack system. With all of the racks in place it would appear that one could cook a huge amount of protein at one time. I have looked at the adjustable system from CGS but it seems to waste a fair bunch of space by using somewhat smaller racks due to the way things are supported. I guess I am wondering if this system for the Big Joe might fit in my XL. I took some preliminary measurements of my XL and may visit the local KJ dealer. I am sure if it fits it will not be cheap but neither is the AR. I will not be leaving the BGE community just looking for options for huge cooks that happen once in awhile.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    FYI, I think they only ship parts if you are international.  If you are in the states, their warranty states you have to go through the dealer as well. 

Do you have a KJ dealer close to you?  If the closest egg dealer is 2 hours away then I think that is a valid concern.  I sure as hell don't want to drive 4 hours if I need a part or to deal with a warranty issue.  
    Driving four hours for me would be a lot cheaper than having to pay for the shipping for ceramic parts. 

"This warranty does not apply to labor, freight, or any other cost associated with the service, repair or operation of the grill."
    This is what is odd to me @Eggcelsior @SmokeyPitt
    its showing different from what you sent... smh
    Beaufort, SC
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2014
    Options

Did I say I am going to buy a KJ?

Also, when I bought my egg I burned my gasket on third cook. I came to this forum and found out that the issue has been known for at least a couple of years if not more. I am not sure what you are blabbering about when you say they fixed it. why wasn't this fixed when I bought mine??

Drink the coolaid all you want. You know, it really gets me how religious people get on this forum about BGE. Go to -any- other forum of users of a product and you will see many posts on complains people have about the said product. Here in this forum it is not kosher to complain about how badly BGE is handling something. Are you paid by them to defend them or something?

And what the hell about moving this to OT?? I think they don't want negative impressions to be on the first page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited May 2014
    Options

"This warranty does not apply to labor, freight, or any other cost associated with the service, repair or operation of the grill."
    This is what is odd to me @Eggcelsior @SmokeyPitt
    its showing different from what you sent... smh
    Not to be a name dropper, but I had dinner with the owner if KJ on Sunday.  They now pay shipping on parts replaced under warranty.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    This thread sux. Why some people get wound up about what somebody they've never met cooks with is beyond me. I don't care what somebody cooks on or if they eat hamburger tar-tar. Just don't invite me to your place for tar-tar. Let it go already.
    Flint, Michigan
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Ok so it's now covered. That is pretty important to me. Thanks Whiz
    Beaufort, SC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Here is a screenshot of where I pulled that quote from.

Look towards the bottom of the screenshot under "When does warranty coverage begin?"

More contradiction keeps me less than enthused with them as a company. @The_Naked_Whiz, if that is the case, they really need to update their website.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Well, what can I say. The owner of the company told me face to face they have changed their policy.  Based on their growth rate, I can see why they might have missed updating the web page.  But I wouldn't say that improving their warranty and forgetting to update the web page is a reason to be less than enthused.  I realize this is not the place, so if any one wants to discuss them as a company, feel free to visit my FB page.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

Well, what can I say. The owner of the company told me face to face they have changed their policy.  Based on their growth rate, I can see why they might have missed updating the web page.  But I wouldn't say that improving their warranty and forgetting to update the web page is a reason to be less than enthused.  I realize this is not the place, so if any one wants to discuss them as a company, feel free to visit my FB page.

The fact that they misrepresented themselves over the phone to me is the main reason I am less than enthused. That is also the reason they'll never get my money.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The fact that they misrepresented themselves over the phone to me is the main reason I am less than enthused. That is also the reason they'll never get my money.
    Was that in another thread?  I read back through this one and didn't see anything about them misrepresenting themselves.  Sorry.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    It happened last summer. It involved charcoal and who they said made theirs and what the owner of that company told me otherwise.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Not to muddy the waters even more but doesn't BGE misrepresent themselves all the time too?

Nothing beside small and mini? No new product? Eh...now, we have minimax? Coming out June 2014? Coming out 2015?

Point is any company have a tendency to mess it up along the way - have dealt with many companies where one rep could say one thing and another one says another (even where I worked - some people know, some people don't).

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• plumbfir01
    Options
    @mountaindewbass....they are slightly different with accessories and such but the end of the day i would buy the same aftermarket stuff for either that i buy so it comes down to cost as both have the same warranty. some people would chastise me for this but its my money and i know how hard i have worked for it. Therefore the cost is a deciding factor. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • mmundy81
    mmundy81 Posts: 36
    Options
    I own one of each (classic joe & XL egg). My father in law is an egg dealer, and before he was an egg dealer, he was a KJ dealer, so it's the product of a really lucky circumstance. I have had parts shipped from KJ. They did charge me for the shipping, but they also had a replacement fire box and fire ring on my doorstep the day after I spoke to their customer service rep for a grand total of like $20 (BTW, they are also lifetime on ceramics). FWIW, I probably do prefer the XL to the classic KJ, but in that case, we're not exactly comparing apples to apples. Also, I have purchased several eggcessories and egg brand replacement parts for my joe. This means that, despite the fact that some get there panties in a bunch over the mention of KJ on this forum, BGE has prospered as a result of me buying a KJ. As many have said, you will be very happy with either.