Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time fresh whole red snapper. Very good

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
Just back from Galveston and stopped at the pier for fresh snapper and flounder. First time to cook whole fish. 400 direct half raised. Next time zero raised may be better? Just S&P and oil. imageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    By the looks of the final plate it seems you didn't care for it much. Great looking cook.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • Mickey
    Just noticed: forgot the slits.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Try them in your wok sometime Mick with deep cuts and seasoning.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Fresh Red Snapper is hard to beat.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nicely done. Love some good snapper!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    You tore that up. That's impressive at your age :))

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That looks great @Mickey. Love me some fresh seafood. That final picture reminds me of when cats eat fish in cartoons. Nothing left but the head and bones all still connected. Did you eat it like Tom from Tom and Jerry?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Looks great.  I'm going fishing in Pensacola FL next month for snapper.  Might have to leave some whole and give that a shot.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    edited May 2014
    looks great! did mahi we caught this week and was great. caught a few snapper but our season is only 3 days now... oh well

did you fill cavity with lemon and herbs or anything?
    Beaufort, SC
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662

Did you hear about the lady who went fishing with 5 guys?

She came back with a Red Snapper.

I still like jokes from the 5th grade.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2014
    @Mickey‌ you said you stopped at the pier in Galveston. Did you catch these or purchase at a market at the pier? If you caught them...whatcha using for bait? I like Flounder fishing with mud minnows. Occasionally we'll land some decent Vermilion snapper. My favorite is Pompano. Also really like Whiting, Flounder, Red fish (drum), Black drum, Sheepshead, Croaker, etc etc. Again looks awesome!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    that looks great
  • Mickey
    @Mickey‌ you said you stopped at the pier in Galveston. Did you catch these or purchase at a market at the pier? If you caught them...whatcha using for bait? I like Flounder fishing with mud minnows. Occasionally we'll land some decent Vermilion snapper. My favorite is Pompano. Also really like Whiting, Flounder, Red fish (drum), Black drum, Sheepshead, Croaker, etc etc. Again looks awesome!

Bought at pier. We also got flounder and they cut this from one flounder. image

• Mickey
    edited May 2014

We have a trip with a guide on the 21st to Rock Port to fish for trout and reds. Looking forward to that. Now the guides are using croakers for bait.

• NPHuskerFL
    @mickey nice! That sounds like a fun time. And with that bait you'll likely hit some Blues, Barracuda, sharks etc etc. Enjoy! Hope ya land some nice fish. Enjoy! :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Wow nice....looks good.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts