Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please check my math. PP for 150 people

I've been asked to make pulled pork for 150 mostly kids at a church camp later next month.  There will be more than ample sides.  My figuring is 1/3 lb per person or 50 lbs finished product.  If there is 50% loss I will need 100 lbs raw pork.  Sound right?  Thanks in advance.  Never cooked for this many before.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    the amount will depend on the age of the kids.  Teenager boys, 100lbs finished might not be enough :)

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I don't think there would be that much shrinkage, I'm no expert so wait for a few more voices to chime in. Also if there is going to be ample sides that helps fill up the hungry bellies. Are you doing this on just one egg? And what kind of time line for grilling are you thinking? Like onebqguru suggested, if there are teenagers involved that could change things.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I think that sounds about right actually, but depends on how much sides will be there. Most won't pig out on the main dish if there's sides and desserts afterwards.

I'd say the 1/3rd pound a person is plenty to account for. Some might not eat much, others will stuff their faces to make up for it.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Sounds a little stout to me if you have plenty of sides, but leftover pulled pork is never a bad thing.  Just make sure you use smaller size buns.  I've used the big ones before and the waste is unbelievable.  Even women and kids will fill them, guess it's just human nature.  I'd rather have them come back for a second or third then make a gigantic one and waste it.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I'm on BOWHUNR's side of this.
    Good wisdom there.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I cooked up ribs and chicken for 50 people once, I went with 14 racks of babybacks ~3.3 ribs per person and 75 drumsticks (1.5 drumsticks per person).  Mixture of 70% adults and 20% teenagers, 10% children.  After the picnic was over, most of the chicken was gone, but only about 1/2 of the ribs were.  I had sought advice from caterers and most felt I was under doing it, but my experience says I over did it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    I bet you could even get away with 1/4 lb per person, but it's better to have extra than the other way around.  BOWHUNR has a good point about the smaller roll size to cut own on waste.  Sounds like you've got quite a job ahead of you! 
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    The book of yields calls pork shoulder boston butt as an 81% yield after cook. I think this is fairly accurate. I would say that 100lbs would be a good figure but depending on the age of children and women eat less then men. You must account for that difference and i would say if the kids were 9-15 then you should consider 100-120lbs especially if they have been active all day and built up an appitite. Just my thoughts on that. I would say leftovers would be welcomed by camp counselers anyway  ;)
    Beaufort, SC
  • Drigler
    Drigler Posts: 25
    I did 40lbs raw last week that fed 60ish adults. Seems like 100lbs for kids would work as long as they are not a "kids" equaling teenage boys.
    XL - Chandler, AZ
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If they are young kids you may want to figure 1/4 pound. If your butts are well trimmed the loss should be 30 to 40%. That puts you at 81 pounds

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    The bone-in butts I cook are always about 50% loss.  I don't think I would trim them before hand--let the fat melt.  I'll trim a brisket for those big knots of fat, but that's it.
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    this sounds crazy but for catering we make pulled pork sliders and with one 8-9 pound butt (pre cooked) i can make about 80 sliders. it really goes a long way
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    we serve open face sliders. some with coleslaw and some without. always a big hit. but one butt can do about 80 of theseimage