Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg carten

2»

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Focker‌...that bad boy has Beach written all over it ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    My guys going to make one for me with some scraps. A prototype per say. And we have thought of a few extra features. I'll post it when he's done. Wood is cheap and easy but I want something slimmer and sleeker.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    I don't mean the wood one looks bad focker, it looks awesome. I just want a clean metal finish.

XLBGE 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Thanks McStew
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    I don't mean the wood one looks bad focker, it looks awesome. I just want a clean metal finish.
    Thanks guys for the feedback.   Looking forward to the prototype.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    What ever gets ur egg to travel works fine, life is to short to eat home everyday
  • Focker
    edited May 2014
    JRWhitee said:
    Focker said:

No problem @JRWhitee.  You could go a bit higher with the studs.

I cut the top piece wider to allow for handles using a 1" spade bit and jigsaw.  Also used two studs at each corner.  The birch plywood and premium studs I culled when I worked in the lumberyard.  The Sam bottle opener was a gift from a friend who visited Boston.  Nomex was scrap.  The most expensive part was the Sherwin Williams Ext Primer and Paint.  It was a fun winter project here in the midwest.  

thanks again @focker my buddy has a wood shop in his basement he can do just about anything.

The nomex is not necessary by any means, it is there for cushion during shifting in the bed of the truck.  My truck is a 5 spd, drove through the Appalachians with it for the ultimate test, no problem.  I don't secure, just pull it out to the tailgate and light. 

Some wood shims inside of the egg keep things in place.  My buddy split a few split firebricks with his wetsaw for some added insulation.  A cheap pizza stone would not be a bad idea to absorb the brunt of the heat.  As we know, tables burn.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

•  
    The nomex is not necessary by any means, it is there for cushion during shifting in the bed of the truck.  My truck is a 5 spd, drove through the Appalachians with it for the ultimate test, no problem.  I don't secure, just pull it out to the tailgate and light. 

Some wood shims inside of the egg keep things in place.  My buddy split a few split firebricks with his wetsaw for some added insulation.  A cheap pizza stone would not be a bad idea to absorb the brunt of the heat.  As we know, tables burn.  

I like this and may try to replicate it.  I would think with the feet and firebrick you'd be fine.  What do you recon this whole thing weighs.  Thanks for sharing.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• MrCookingNurse
    I was told to expects prototype Monday 8-}

XLBGE 
  • Focker

I like this and may try to replicate it.  I would think with the feet and firebrick you'd be fine.  What do you recon this whole thing weighs.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks.  I agree, the air gap and ceramic are a nice buffer.

The table and firebrick weigh 10-15lbs approx.  The egg and innards, 60-75lbs approx. 

I load the table.  Then empty the small and place it in the table.  And last, replace the firebox and firering.  Then when I get to the site, slide the entire thing out and light.  If I have to move it all, then it is one person on each side.  Pre laminectomy and discectomy, I would grab the whole thing by myself.       

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    @MrCookingNurse any prototype pictures yet?

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• MrCookingNurse
    @Hic‌

I haven't heard from him and since it's kinda pro bono at this point I'm give him some time :-\"

XLBGE 
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350

@MrCookingNurse just sent you a pm.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @Focker - would you be willing to provide dimensions of your cool little nest? I'm curious about the diameter of the hole and the length of your uprights.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!