Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have the Sansaire sous vide circulator

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
I'm thinking of buying the Sansaire sous vide circulator because it seems like a great value and is a very attractive unit. Just wondered if anybody else has one and can offer both good and bad experiences with it. Or any of the other self contained units that are similar. Thanks.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The Anova is an another option at that price point. I pre-ordered the Sansaire during the Kickstarter campaign but canceled it after it was repeatedly delayed. I cannot comment on it's function.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    I have a buddy that just got the Sansaire but is returning it in favor of the new bluetooth enabled Anova.
    Pentwater, MI
  • SenorHuevo
    SenorHuevo Posts: 40
    Options
    Bummer about the new Anova is that it's due in October at the earliest.  Long time to wait.  I'm hoping for a price drop on the old Anova -- I don't see why I need my phone to control a hot tub.  Sous vide is time and temperature, but whatever, people really like gizmos.
    I will never cook inside again.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here's a review of the new Anova model... http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/new-anova-precision-cooker-best-cheapest-sous-vide-circulator-on-the-market.html?ref=title ... with a link to an earlier comparison of Anove, Sansaire and Nomiku units As for bluetooth, I don't see any benefit.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SenorHuevo The Bluetooth on the new Anova had zero impact for me. It was the improved clamp design and lower price. But yeah, the wait til Oct is going to be a long one.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    Just got my Anova. Bluetooth not relevant to me although the new clamp design is intriguing. Love it.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Yeah, I don't feel like bluetooth is truly relavant either, but was just tossing it out there.
    Pentwater, MI
  • SenorHuevo
    Options
    The improved clamp design is interesting.  I almost jumped in at the $129 price yesterday but it was the wait that seemed unpalatable.  I was all set to go on the old Anova too...  Now I'm just perplexed -- do I want instant gratification? (YES) or do I want the best product on the market (YES).  Sadly, those objectives are incompatible. 
  • SenorHuevo
    Options
    It's a truly eggsistential quandry!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I agree the BT might not be that handy in practice since all you have to do is set a temperature.  However, one cool thing is you can look up the time and temp and set it all in one step.  If it works like it claims, you just click "chicken breast" and then it sets it.  Saves the step of googling "sous vide chicken breast time and temperature" :)

I definitely wouldn't pay more for it, but since they added BT+ an app and lowered the cost that is pretty sweet. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Owner of the original ANOVA, so take this for what it is worth. The display on the original is touch screen LCD, like a smart phone, the version 2 appears to be LED with actual buttons. The bluetooth feature allows extra features like setting for specific foods as noted by @SmokeyPitt, but the display is much less costly than the original, IMO. Not better or worse just different. 
    The clamp adjustment is the same, but on the original you cannot change the orientation of the unit to the clamp axis. The output port for water flow is 360º adjustable, but the display is always over (facing) the pot/cambro. I'm not so sure you will see a price drop on the original version. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The bleeding/fleecing does not stop..my first kickstarter support.  
    Thanks for the link Q.  

Even at $150, it will pay for itself in a few home cooked meals.  
    My only concern is using plastic bags?  Seems like a useful tool to accompany paleo/primal.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Focker said:
    The bleeding/fleecing does not stop..my first kickstarter support.  
    Thanks for the link Q.  

Even at $150, it will pay for itself in a few home cooked meals.  
    My only concern is using plastic bags?  Seems like a useful tool to accompany paleo/primal.  
    Good buy. Foodsaver products are safe up to about 195ºF. Still trying to find that document. I prefer foodsaver over Zip-Locks and they are just a few cents more. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    Options

@Skiddymarker,

Please excuse my overthinking. hahaha

Thanks for the tip.  Foodsaver it will be.  Will be seeking your help come October. ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Welcome to the madness @Focker, where were you yesterday? I dragged Little Steve, TexanOfTheNorth and pantsypants into it with me at $129. My first KS support too.  I was tempted to get the Hacker Special. 

With free shipping, it's a no brainer for canucks, if I order the Anova v1 now, shipping alone is $44.99 
    :D
    canuckland
  • Focker
    edited May 2014
    Options

@Canugghead,

I always arrive a few minutes late to a party. ;)

Even the $150s will be gone in a day, maybe two.

Giving the SDK away is awesome.  Will be interesting to see what is done with it this fall, part of the reason why I want to support them.  Their (Anova) video was nicely done. 

Free shipping up north is sweet! 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Canugghead
    Options
    Free shipping worldwide!
    canuckland
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    The Anova is an another option at that price point. I pre-ordered the Sansaire during the Kickstarter campaign but canceled it after it was repeatedly delayed. I cannot comment on it's function.
    How did you cancel the Kickstarter purchase/support?  I thought that was the basis of Kickstarter - you got some advantage (earlier or cheaper product, extra goodies, etc.) in exchange for putting your money at risk that the company might go tits up and you end up with nothing.  Is there a way to pull out?

I'm asking because I ponied up a year ago for the ZPM espresso machine that is now a good 2 years behind scheduled delivery and I'm not sure I even want it now.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Focker - check your INBOX.
    canuckland
  • Focker
    Options

Ok, thanks for the heads up.  Was out of town over the weekend.  Drove through some nasty storms, and it is headed my way.  Super cells, a confirmed tornado is now on the ground in our area. 

Will check my mail and get back to ya in the AM.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    OP, I have a Sansaire and it works great. It... just works. Not much to say. If I was buying again today, I'd happily get another Sansaire. 

I did order the fancy new Anova, got a Kickstarter price... But I will probably give it away as a Christmas gift.