Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Choices

I'm in the Atlanta area, and just recently found out that Browns Pools will no longer be carrying Wicked Good charcoal. I really like the charcoal alot, but I've noticed the quality going down recently. Busted bags, tons of dust and small pieces and even lump with nails still stuck in the wood. Emailed Wicked about it, and got an "oh well, it happens sometimes" answer when I asked if the wood was second use scrap type stuff, or even a blend.

So my local Browns apparently thought the same thing, and when I went in to get more, they said they are done with them, in all their stores around Atlanta.

They offered up Carbon del Sol, as their new charcoal they are carrying. It comes in a really nice woven/plastic type bag that keeps the dust and debris and holes down, but I was hesistant as it's $24 for 18# bag.

Small, but mixed pieces in the bag I got, lights fast as heck, no sparking, tons of smoke while it's getting lit up and burning, and burns pretty dang hot. But, it smells good, works well for the 1 cook I've used it.

Any other options out there? I got through a fair bit of lump, and I'd like to avoid buying online and paying for shipping, although, I could see about getting another guy together to buy with to cut the costs for both of us.

Any good options out there if you can't get Wicked? Jury is still out on the Carbon Del Sol stuff.
-FATC1TY
Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
LBGE
MiniMax

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited May 2014
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    http://www.firecraft.com/category/hardwood-charcoal

Do yourself a favor and just order $100 worth of Rockwood or Ozark Oak. Its free shipping on all orders over $99 and they have super fast shipping.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    +1 on the firecraft. I live in Atl area also and have gone this route. Great products and great service.

If you don't want to do this just run to wallyworld and get some royal oak.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I can't edit it, but the charcoal is Carbon del Sur..

I'm firing up a cook at the moment for some filet's and in looking in the bag.. The pieces aren't any larger at their biggest more than 2 inches or so. Rather shoddy, IMO.

I'd rather use the junky ol BGE stuff.

Thanks for the link, I've been there a hundred times just about- was looking to see if anyone had used this stuff, and if anyone had some good leads on other brands locally/regionally.

Jeff- thanks for the link. Might be worth just a bulk buy of something, since we cook 4x a week on the egg's.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY

Do yourself a favor and just order $100 worth of Rockwood or Ozark Oak. Its free shipping on all orders over $99 and they have super fast shipping.

Thanks for the link there.. Which do you prefer? I've always heard Rockwood was pretty decent stuff with good sized pieces of lump in there. 100 pounds for 99$ shipped isn't bad.

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2014
    Check your local Costco and see if they have Basques Nature's Own. Pure sugar maple from Quebec. A friend of mine got it in north Atlanta. The Naked Whiz probably would diss it but his ratings are something less than empirical.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    According to my local BBQ dealer, Wicked Good and Kamado Joe are now sourced from the same place. I have purchased the KJ lump from my local Ace and I noticed even before my dealer told me that they were very similar. I have cooked a low and slow with the KJ and it was fine.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Jeffroe189
    FATC1TY said:
    I can't edit it, but the charcoal is Carbon del Sur..

I'm firing up a cook at the moment for some filet's and in looking in the bag.. The pieces aren't any larger at their biggest more than 2 inches or so. Rather shoddy, IMO.

I'd rather use the junky ol BGE stuff.

Thanks for the link, I've been there a hundred times just about- was looking to see if anyone had used this stuff, and if anyone had some good leads on other brands locally/regionally.

Jeff- thanks for the link. Might be worth just a bulk buy of something, since we cook 4x a week on the egg's.
    Thats what I do I just bought 10 bags of Rockwood. It should last at least 6 to 8 months.
  • dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    The Johns Creek Ace was pushing me to try Carbon Del Sol stuff but I chose Rockwood. I prefer Rockwood but now Ace won't carry it. I found it at another Ace on Holcomb bridge that carries it. It's good stuff plus the owner is on this board and they have other egg stuff they sell on eBay. May two cents.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • +1 on Rockwood.  Go to their website.  I'm pretty sure there are dealers in the Atlanta area.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Jeffroe189
    FATC1TY said:

Thanks for the link there.. Which do you prefer? I've always heard Rockwood was pretty decent stuff with good sized pieces of lump in there. 100 pounds for 99$ shipped isn't bad.
    I think I like the Rockwood the best. I have used Ozark Oak also. They are both great but I think I like the Rockwood a little bit better plus its a $1.00 cheaper. LOL
  • FATC1TY
    Check your local Costco and see if they have Basques Nature's Own. Pure sugar maple from Quebec. A friend of mine got it in north Atlanta. The Naked Whiz probably would diss it but his ratings are something less than empirical.

My local pool/grill supplier carries the Natures Own sugar maple.. I haven't tried it yet, but doesn't seem to move real well.

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    According to my local BBQ dealer, Wicked Good and Kamado Joe are now sourced from the same place. I have purchased the KJ lump from my local Ace and I noticed even before my dealer told me that they were very similar. I have cooked a low and slow with the KJ and it was fine.

Might have to see if someone carrys the KJ stuff. BGE had all their local accounts oust KJ from their inventories or risk being removed as an authorized dealer.

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Ya, my local ACE is not a BGE dealer, hence the availability of KJ.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    dagriller said:
    The Johns Creek Ace was pushing me to try Carbon Del Sol stuff but I chose Rockwood. I prefer Rockwood but now Ace won't carry it. I found it at another Ace on Holcomb bridge that carries it. It's good stuff plus the owner is on this board and they have other egg stuff they sell on eBay. May two cents.

Who told you this?????  They're full of it.  We're an Ace vendor and have shipped over 100 pallets to Ace's SE warehouses in just the last 3 weeks--will have even more going out in two weeks. 

Any Ace Hardware from Louisiana to South Carolina can order it if they do not already have it in stock (SKU: 8400772).   If you go to our Facebook page and scroll down a few posts you'll see the coverage map.  In a few months we'll be able to see which Ace stores are consistently stocking/selling, and those will be added to our website.

• dagriller

dagriller said:

Who told you this?????  They're full of it.  We're an Ace vendor and have shipped over 100 pallets to Ace's SE warehouses in just the last 3 weeks--will have even more going out in two weeks. 

Any Ace Hardware from Louisiana to South Carolina can order it if they do not already have it in stock (SKU: 8400772).   If you go to our Facebook page and scroll down a few posts you'll see the coverage map.  In a few months we'll be able to see which Ace stores are consistently stocking/selling, and those will be added to our website.

The manager at Johns Creek Ace, when I went in to purchase, stated they wouldn't be handling it any longer, I found another Ace a few miles away based on your web site.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • stlcharcoal
    dagriller said:
    dagriller said:

The manager at Johns Creek Ace, when I went in to purchase, stated they wouldn't be handling it any longer, I found another Ace a few miles away based on your web site.
    Ok, I thought you meant Ace in general.  Either way, those guys at John's Creek can order it for you even if they're not going to stock it.  I can call Rich down there and ask what's up if you want me to.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    SunDeviledEgg Posts: 132
    Not true any more.  
  • stlcharcoal
    dagriller said:
    dagriller said:

Ok, I thought you meant Ace in general.  Either way, those guys at John's Creek can order it for you even if they're not going to stock it.  I can call Rich down there and ask what's up if you want me to.
    John's Creek ordered four pallets in the last week from the Ace warehouse--if they're not there already, they should be soon.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I use Royal Oak from Walmart. I pay $8.00 and I think it's a 17lb. bag. Seems to work good. Other than BGE and Cowboy, it's the only lump I've tried. Cowboy was definitely not for me. To smokey no matter how long I let the VOC's burn off.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • dagriller
    @stlcharcoal, Thanks! I will have to stop by there. Apparently they gave me the wrong information. No very good customer service or they hadn't plan on getting more in.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • FATC1TY
    dagriller said:

Interesting to know. I'll have to check the Ace down the street from me. Country style ACE, perhaps they could order some for me going forward! Not crazy about this Carbon Del Sur stuff at all. Very ashy
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • stlcharcoal
    FATC1TY said:

Interesting to know. I'll have to check the Ace down the street from me. Country style ACE, perhaps they could order some for me going forward!
    I don't see a "Country Style Ace" on my list......can you give me the city or ZIP?  I'll find the nearest one on the ship list.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @FATC1TY‌ I have not had said issues with WGWW lump.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY said:

Interesting to know. I'll have to check the Ace down the street from me. Country style ACE, perhaps they could order some for me going forward!
    I don't see a "Country Style Ace" on my list......can you give me the city or ZIP?  I'll find the nearest one on the ship list.

Ace Hardware in Newnan, GA. Turkey Creek Rd I believe it where it's located.

Thanks!

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    @FATC1TY‌ I have not had said issues with WGWW lump.

I wasn't overly upset with the quality as of late, as I was still seeking it out. I had noticed the bags being beaten up really bad, a good 3 inches of the bottom of the bag was nothing but dust and debris, and then the last bag had nails still attached to wood.

Regardless, I hate having to look for a new lump!

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • stlcharcoal
    FATC1TY said:

Thanks!

They're not on the last list I received showing the orders--but they can still get it (SKU: 8400772).  The next nearest store on my list is Southern Home & Ranch in Carrollton. 
  • FATC1TY

FATC1TY said:

Thanks!

They're not on the last list I received showing the orders--but they can still get it (SKU: 8400772).  The next nearest store on my list is Southern Home & Ranch in Carrollton. 
    So I can ask them to order it and they will be able to carry it?

Any idea on pricing, or is that dependent on each store?
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • stlcharcoal
    They should be able to order it for retail, or just for you in any quantity as I understand it. I have no idea how the pricing works......the whole system is still an enigma to me.
  • FATC1TY
    Thanks for the info- I was able to get my local Ace to order some. Perhaps he will start to carry it if I can get others to buy it up as well. Only carried Kingsford and Cowboy, as of now.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax