Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time doing steaks on the egg

Options
So I did my first steak tonight and it was good. It was about an 1.5" ribeye. I cooked it at 650 degrees 2min a side, flip, 2min and one more flip for 2min with the egg shut down. The pics don't look near as good as what most of y'all post but hey it was my first time and I'm still learning! Any tips, thoughts or advice would be nice!
Durham, NC

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I advise you to invite me over the next time you cook that.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    HERE!! HERE!!!  I second that!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Looks pretty good, better than the nachos I had for dinner! 

Nicely done. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Pics look good to me! Great job.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• boostfed
    boostfed Posts: 63
    Options
    very nice! love the beer coozie too!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    jmarbs21 said: The pics don't look near as good as what most of y'all post
    They look mighty fine to me brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Nice crust! Just for kicks try a reverse sear with a cast iron plate at the end
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Welcome..Those steaks inspired me to make a note "Visit the Butcher"..I will be doing some steak this weekend..By the way pics look great..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    You did it right Jason!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NitsujNella
    NitsujNella Posts: 44
    Options
    Steak looks great!
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Be careful closing the egg after cooking that high. When u open the lid again, if u don't open the dampers first, you will shoot a fireball about 4-8ft into the air. I kept my eyebrows, but lost most of the hair on my forearm. That was my second cook. Search for my thread on the importance of burping your egg!

Nice looking steaks!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    Thanks for the comments!! I'm still learning but glad to know you all think it looked good! I was happy with the first time cook and it was good!
    Durham, NC
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    steak on egg is great. caveman drunk n hungry
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited May 2014
    Options
    They are perfect! You're a natural.

Besides the sear on a cast iron pan or plate (it chars the entire surface so evenly), I love what they call "caveman style." After the usual rubbing in the seasoning and patting it with olive oil, lay it on the bare glowing coals. To start with, I've arranged the coals to be level, and get them good and hot. 

Flip the steak on the other side. A coal or two might cling to the meat but just flick it off with your tongs.You can do this at the beginning or as a reverse sear at the end. I only bother with cooking it longer at lower temp if it's really thick. A nice char on the coals usually makes the center just pink enough for me.
    Judy in San Diego