Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hmmm, Cast Iron grate or GRILL GRATES...

I'm trying to decide between a Cast Iron or the Grill Grates for my Medium egg. Let me hear it friends

Comments

• Man Grates!!!! JK

Cast Iron....seriously

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    cast iron is easier to clean but the GGs are nice. they both do work equally imo
    Beaufort, SC
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    I have the BGE cast iron grate for my medium and it's fine. I think if I wanted to do a comp and needed perfect grill marks, I would snag a grill grate.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have the BGE CI grid (three of them, actually). Small pieces broke off of two them, but both are still usable. Under warranty so I kept getting new ones. #3 is still in the plastic bag. Figured it was the nature of the brute so I gave up. It has been on my egg for almost all cooks. Not sure I'd want to mess with something like Grill Grates that I had to store and add to the grid when I wanted grill marks. But I guess some do that with the CI grid too.

If I had it to do again, I would just use the OEM grid.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    If all you are trying to do is get sear marks the stock grid works fine. This steak was cooked with it. Otherwise I'm not sure, haven't used either.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    MBGE with CI grid, I like it reversed, flat side up for reverse sear, but do admit, like@Carolina_Q said, the SS grid does it all. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    ... the SS grid does it all. 
    I wish I HAD a SS grid. When I bought my egg, they still came with porcelain. One of these days, when I get tired enough of messing with that heavy CI monster, I'll buy a stainless. Lately, I've been using the porcelain a bit more, but before long, it'll start chipping off and rusting.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Pure steel image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I like my CI grate, but I've noticed a crack appear in one spot recently. I don't know when I how that happened..

It's not even 6 months old, got it as a gift.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited May 2014
    FATC1TY said:
    I like my CI grate, but I've noticed a crack appear in one spot recently. I don't know when I how that happened..

It's not even 6 months old, got it as a gift.

Design flaw! The center gets hot and expands , but that continuous outer ring stays much cooler and eventually you have a stress crack! Some people just take a hack saw to a cast iron BGE grate and cut that ring in spots. OTOH that will void the warranty, but if it's out of warranty anyway then so what?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Yep, that's where both of mine cracked. Gotta remember to hack saw my new (third) one before I use it. Not convinced that will work, but Ron's right once in a while.  :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Grill Grates
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Thank you, Michael, I'm sure that was painful for you to say! ;) Point is the crack will occur at the weakest spot and though your picture makes a person question why back there the obvious answer is that was the weak spot! Most people don't realize how inferior and weak cast iron is let alone being cast poured then air and impurities can play havoc.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    I have the Ci grate for my medium and had the same stress crack issues after a few uses. It was replaced under warranty. I also have the grill grates. I've had them a couple of years and like them. My set though is three rectangle pieces and only one piece fits on my medium, two pieces on my large. My only gripe would be cleaning them since they are not specifically sized for my eggs. They move when I brush them.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Carolina Q
    Ha. Not painful at all, Ron. :) 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Mickey said:

Pure steel

... Still waiting to see a pic of a big hunk of meat with your entire name seared into it...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I have a ci for the mini, I personally wouldn't buy another.
    Seattle, WA
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited May 2014
    Foghorn said:
    Pure steel image
    ... Still waiting to see a pic of a big hunk of meat with your entire name seared into it...

You realize that his name will be spelled backwards when seared?

He would have to flip the grid over to get it right.

Judy in San Diego
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948

I don't have Man Grates but have someting similar....called GrillGrates (http://www.grillgrate.com/ ). The biggest benefit in addition to the nice grill marks I have found is, it really helps distribute the heat evenly.  I almost have no hot spots when grilling at say 450 - 500. Easy cleanup too and you can flip it over and use the smooth surface as well.  Highly recommend them.  

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830

Foghorn said:

Mickey said:

Pure steel

You realize that his name will be spelled backwards when seared?

He would have to flip the grid over to get it right.

I realize that. I was hoping he didn't.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RICHIED777
    RICHIED777 Posts: 91
    I was indeed looking for better heat distribution. Which is what they say you get with grill grates. I do get sear marks with my SS, if that's what I choose. How is heat distribution with the with CI...
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    I have both the CI Grate and Grill Grates…  Not Mangrates-

I think there are pros and cons of both.

The CI is HEAVY, rusts easily, and I feel does not make Sauver magazine quality grill marks when you want to impress the in-laws or some gasser friend of yours.

On the other hand CI provides more of an up-obstruced access to the heat of searing at high temps.  
    I find the grill grates to be extremely versatile, and often provide a best of both worlds scenario for me.  On my large, they come in 3 slats that easily fit together so I can break them down and store them inside my gasser where I store egg toys.  

The Grill Grate provides this harmonious heat effect but will protect from a glowing hot spot in the lump.  

I have never been much of a platesetter fan, and often choose to go raised direct instead.  Having both the CI & the GG I prefer the GG hands down.

Here is a 100 min no-fry egged chicken (on left) and an herbed chicken (on R) as an example:
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Blahahahahahahahaha

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    travisstrick - Are yours still all rusted :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    I have owened both for my weber grills, I much preferred the grill grates.