Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ice Cream Maker

Options
tarheelmatt
tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
Making ice cream is something we do often among my group of friends.  This one frined is usually the one that makes the ice cream.  It dawned on my the other day "I don't have an ice cream maker".  I told the wife my reflection and she said that would be a good thing to get!  So I looked around and came on the Cuisinart ice cream maker.  I ended up buying it and look forward to using it.  The ones I am used to are the old hand crank or the set top motor model where you have to add ice and salt.  This does not need any of that apparently. 

Also ordered another freezer bowl to make two batches back-to-back for two flavors or 4 quarts of one flavor. 

Anyone else have one of these?  Any recipes you would like to share would be awesome too! 

https://www.cuisinart.com/products/ice_cream/ice-30bc.html

------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    We have one and enjoy it.  My wife does the ice cream so I can't give you any particular tips except that Ben and Jerry's has a recipe book that works out well for us.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @Foghorn, I was going to get that recipe book but wasn't sure of it.  Maybe I should look into that too. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    Yes, I have one and bought an extra bowl just like you. I don't have recipes handy, but some general tips: 

don't overfill the bowl; use real vanilla - buy a large bottle on Amazon Prime; use whole milk, cream, half and half - none of the skim milk stuff; the best recipes are custard based so a double boiler is a good accessory; cinnamon clove ice cream goes well with Indian (or any spicy) food and is much better than traditional Indian desserts; keep the bowl paddles in the freezer too - you want everything cold; learn to make a good custard based vanilla before you branch out as that is a good base.
  • Foghorn
    Options

We're obligated to use Ben and Jerry's.  My wife was an undergrad at UVM in Burlington when they only had one store - in an old gas station.  She's been loyal ever since.  With that being said, there is a reason they are so successful and the recipes aren't particularly difficult.  To me, the biggest challange is being patient enough to wait for it to thicken...

It's nice that this board can bring a Tar Heel and a Blue Devil together... but then again, it's not basketball season.

:)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    The custard base sounds nice and rich.  I have made a custard before for a base for a triffel dessert.  I will look into that.  Thanks, @jeroldharter

@Foghorn, I will have Mercer on you for being a dook fan... Whoops... I meant Mercy... My apologies. 
    :D
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    local place makes a chocolate cayenne gelato that is killer but doesnt have it all the time, been thinking about getting one of these just for that. since they opened i havent had icecream anymore, their gelato is intense , one scoop very berry, and one scoop chocolate cayenne
    :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • LincolnPark_Egghead
    Options
    I've got that model and one with a built in compressor so I can make multiple batches in a day. 

Get the ice cream cookbook by david lebovitz, its a fantastic explanation of the science and technique of making ice cream as well as a fantastic collection of recipes. Once you get the hang of the technique, the sky is the limit. 

If you really want to challenge yourself, Jeni Bauer's book on ice cream is incredible. Her technique is a bit different and more challenging, but the results are out of this world. 
    Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • Foghorn
    Options

"@Foghorn, I will have Mercer on you for being a dook fan... Whoops... I meant Mercy... My apologies.
    :D

DOH! erty...

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Basil ice cream.  I have made this many times and it is awesome.  Great for when your basil plants are going nuts.  The more basil, the better.

http://jwsfarm.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/by-special-request-basil-ice-cream-recipe/
    NOLA
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @buzd504, would never think basil ice cream to be good.  I may try it as the basil plants usually do get rather large at times.  Usually I give away herbs.  I would be willing to give it a try though.  I never thought a watermelon milk shake from CookOut would be good, but is my favorite. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @buzd504, would never think basil ice cream to be good.  I may try it as the basil plants usually do get rather large at times.  Usually I give away herbs.  I would be willing to give it a try though.  I never thought a watermelon milk shake from CookOut would be good, but is my favorite. 
    Add some blueberries. I make smoothies like that and it is awesome.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    It's amazing.  I wouldn't have thought it was good, either, but if you think about it, basil is pretty close to mint in flavor profile (particularly when it's concentrated).  You can sub basil into a mojito with good results, too.

We first had basil ice cream at Chateau Souvrein in Sonoma on the tail end of their basil festival.  We were hooked, and when I ran across this recipe, I had to try it.  It's easy and it comes out great.

NOLA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    It's amazing.  I wouldn't have thought it was good, either, but if you think about it, basil is pretty close to mint in flavor profile (particularly when it's concentrated).  You can sub basil into a mojito with good results, too.

We first had basil ice cream at Chateau Souvrein in Sonoma on the tail end of their basil festival.  We were hooked, and when I ran across this recipe, I had to try it.  It's easy and it comes out great.

Add it to many fruits and it's great. Strawberries, peaches...yum.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Got my wife the Kitchenaid Mixer attachment and we love it. In fact, we are making a batch or two this weekend!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options

buzd504 said:

Is that a typo? Were you saying "RUM"?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Is that a typo? Were you saying "RUM"?
    Nope but basil in drinks is delicious too. 
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    The worst ice cream I ever made was mint using mint leaves. There must be a better trick for using herbs. Basil does not sound good to me. Not doubting the basil, but my own failed experiment has put me off.

As for fruit, sometimes adding fresh fruit is disappointing because it is relatively warm and tries to melt the ice cream. Try adding some of the frozen fruit from the grocery like cherry, raspberry, strawberry, mango. Large fruit pieces can freeze solid and are not so good.

I have heard of the chocolate cayenne ice cream and tried to buy some online but they were out.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Went by a local strawberry farm and picked up four quarts of these beauties for my first batch of ice cream! 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I have the ka mixer attach.
    I've done egg based but now stick to this

2 cups whipping cream
    2 cups half and half
    1 cup sugar
    Salt, dash
    Vanilla, I pour a bit to taste.

Done, add flavors etc after the base is mixed.
    Seattle, WA