Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get my steaks right

I've had my BGE for 5 months now.  I've mastered pork and chicken, but I'm running into problems with steaks (mainly filets and rib-eyes).

At first I was over cooking, but now I've got that under control.  The issue I have is the taste.

On my old Weber Genesis 310, I cooked the best filet (according to the old lady).  EVOO, kosher salt, and pepper.

I use the same recipe on the BGE, but the steaks taste like the lump charcoal- not steak.  I cook them at 500-600 for a couple minutes each side until the internal temp hits 125 degrees.  I take them off and let them sit for a few minutes... by then the IT is 130 degrees.

My wife says they still taste awesome, but I'm my hardest critic.  

Any suggestions?

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    What kind of lump are you using?  How long are you letting the egg settle on temp before putting the meat on (do the VoC's burn off?) ?  Are you using any wood?
    NOLA
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186

LIke Buzd says. Let your egg temp stabilize. Make sure there is no smoke coming out of the dome. If not you will get a nasty charcoal taste. The exhaust coming out of the dome should be almost clear before starting to cook.

Don't use Kingsford briquettes. They have fillers and binders.Use lump charcoal like Green egg or Royal oak.

You can check out a ton of charcoal reviews at www.nakedwhiz.com

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Unless you are cooking w. some crazy expensive charcoal like Japanese binchotan, all lump will emit some wood smoke flavor. For myself, that taste is double plus better than just S & P.  But to me, having not cooked over propane for decades, a high temp sear doesn't add much flavor. High temp cooks should blow off as much smoke flavor as is depositied.

But, after 5 months, if you haven't done a cleansing burn, you are likely to be adding some smell from all of the last 5 months. If you have done some greasy cooks, such as skin on chicken, the Egg inside gets coated w.  grease and smoke. When you fire the Egg up, all that turns to vapor. And so onto whatever is being cooked.

Hope this helps.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Everyone is correct in letting the egg stabilize. I let mine go at least 20 to 30 minutes and I take my egg to 700 to cook my steaks. I sear 2 minutes a side, close the top and bottom and let it set for 2 minutes for rear and 4 for medium. They come out great every time. Know I like the y will will have a little taste of the lump, because that is your heat source. Propane doesn't have a taste and I had missed that tell I got the egg. I can still taste the flavor of the meat too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Did filets on the Egg last night so it's still fresh in my mind.  I light the lump and let it go for a good 15 minutes or so until it's burning clean and the fire is going good.  Then I throw a few chunks of mesquite on and let that go for another five minutes or so.  Did mine about 550* for 3-4 minutes a side, then shut the Egg most of the way down and leave them on for another 3 minutes.  The time varies, but these were really thick.  They turned out med rare with a hint of mesquite flavor and really no lump flavor.

I am using Rockwood currently too which doesn't have as much lump taste in my experience. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Everyone is correct in letting the egg stabilize. I let mine go at least 20 to 30 minutes and I take my egg to 700 to cook my steaks. I sear 2 minutes a side, close the top and bottom and let it set for 2 minutes for rear and 4 for medium. They come out great every time. Know I like the y will will have a little taste of the lump, because that is your heat source. Propane doesn't have a taste and I had missed that tell I got the egg. I can still taste the flavor of the meat too.
    @Ladeback69 thanks for the tip, going to try that next time.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2014
    Lose the EVOO. If you want to add fat to your steak, add butter after you pull them off .
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    cazzy said:
    Lose the EVOO. If you want to add fat to your steak, add butter after you pull them off .
    +1
    Yes, after I thought about it more, I realized that the EVOO would be likely to hold more smoke, and make the taste stronger.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Great topic. I have been cooking on my egg for 3 months now and have not tried steaks.But thanks  to the question and answers on here I am going to cook a nice ribeye today. I am going to try Ladeback69`s technique. Thanks!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    gdenby said:
    cazzy said:
    +1
    Yes, after I thought about it more, I realized that the EVOO would be likely to hold more smoke, and make the taste stronger.
    I'm not sure if EVOO will hold  more smoke or not, but I do know it has a low smoking temp.  You are burning the EVOO and that might be giving you the bad taste.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Usually for all grilling and cooking I use canola oil due to the higher smoke point over EVOO. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Definitely lose the oil ON the steak.  After you brush off your grill off, use a folded up paper towel with canola oil to wipe the grate down.  I do this 2-3 times if cooking something that is prone to stick (salmon, shrimp, etc.)  Either way, all that oil soaks in or burns off so it doesn't taint the meat.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    If you are cooking them on high heat, EVOO will burn and smoke. You should use another type of oil that is more tolerant of heat like canola. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    The smoke point comments are on point. I think refined Avocado Oil has the highest smoke point, but that is still only like 500-525 degrees. If you're going higher than that, do what cazzy mentioned and top with butter or use an APL board sauce, which is basically just EVOO and chopped fresh herbs on the board your steak rests and is sliced on.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    lose the oil and lose the pepper, burnt pepper taste like charcoal on the grill. salt only, then pepper after the sear. then try some different methods, trex, hot tub, reverse sear. trex is a high temp 750 degree sear with a 20 minute or more rest off the grill, and then back on at roasting temps below 400. hot tub is in a ziplock in the sink in hot water for an hour then a simple sear. thin steaks 1.25 inches and under i hot tub, thicker steaks i like trexed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Acn said:
    The smoke point comments are on point. I think refined Avocado Oil has the highest smoke point, but that is still only like 500-525 degrees.
    LOL.....I just saw that yesterday at Costco.  Never seen it before and thought, "what is so special about avocado oil?!?!?!?"
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    This chart might be helpfulimage
  • The only time to consider oil on a steak is when pan searing, becaus it will transfer heat by direct contact.

In open air (on a steak, and betwen the steak and the radiant energy of the coals) it becomes an insulator though.  It also burns, as others have said, and will become bitter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Try hemp oil.  It'll taste like crap but you won't care.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Was pondering this EVOO idea of causing poor flavor. But, I only use it all the time when I CI pan sear and then finish with a sliver of unsalted sweet cream butter. On a CI grid for reverse sear I've done naked, EVOO and a lite coat of unsalted cream butter. But, have never had a taste issue. And I always coat my Spatchcock with EVOO and then spice. I understand it's 2 completely different types of meat but, if it were the EVOO causing the taste issue I would think it would be a consistent fail. Steaks I CI pan sear somewhere around 650℉+ and same on CI grid reverse sear. Spatchcock is usually raised grid 375℉-425℉. Seems like this could be a creosote issue and/or the lump is just Smokey. OR perhaps it is low quality EVOO (there is such a thing). Just my 2¢ and only speaking for what has worked for me.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    cazzy said:

Guys...Don't over think it. You don't need any oil on your steak...canola, hemp, evoo or whatever.

Go without next time and you won't notice a difference. Add butter post or a board dressing like @ACN suggested and you will elevate your steak.

I completely agree @cazzy steak doesn't need to be complicated whatsoever. In fact I prefer naked with a little kosher salt and coarse black pepper and finish off with a touch of butter. But, the original post seemed to be saying his steaks were tasting like the lump and not steak. And to me that seems like a creosote and/or just smokey lump issue vs seasoning issue.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I think Cazzy's advice is solid. Your avatar makes me laugh! That SNL skit is hilarious!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    as another "angus" on the forum (also a Col)  :D

I agree, it's the EVOO adding to the nasty flavor...too much nasty smoke, not the good.
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Wife: "I've invited Col. Angus to supper."
    Husband: "I'll bet you have!"
    Flint, Michigan
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    So what do i use for blackening mahi? what kind of oil? 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482

From what I remember it was more about what seasonings you put on it to blacken it then to oil. Its been awhile since did anything blackened.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    ok i was just wondering.  used evoo light... seasonings came out great. it didnt go as perfect as the past. i didnt let skillet get hot enough.. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830

I use melted butter (not margarine). Works great on fish and blackened beef (tenderloin sliders)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited May 2014
    Butter if your are doing it authentically.  The flavor of browned butter is part of the recipe.