Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting egg ready; Is this normal

Options
I've had my BGLE for two weeks and using it quite a bit but seems like getting the egg to temp is taking a long time.

Please help with suggestions.

I fill with lump, a fire starter and leave lid open and bottom vent wide open.  After about 10 minutes I closed dome with no lid and bottom vent wide open.  Say I want to get to 400 cooking temp.  Once I get to temp I put on meat, adjustable vent on top and close half way and close bottom half way.  Temp drops and seems like forever to get back to temp.

Am I doing this correctly ??

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Stabilize temp on rise. Once temp is stable and creosote has cleared put on whatever your cooking. Temp will initially drop and could take 30-40min to come back up and you may have to make minor tweaks to fine tune adjust temp.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    you can also get it to 450-500 and add the product and it will usually level at 300-350 and shortly be back to 400 and you adjust vents accordingly. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Are you stirring the old lump to clear ash from it before adding new? Have you cleared the built up ash out through the vent? Sounds to me like the fire is starved for air. Know what a wiggle rod is to stir lump and clear grate holes?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

I keep seeing threads about folks having trouble properly lighting their lump using paraffin based fire starters.  While there are lots of ways to do almost anything with the egg, some are easy, and some require much more effort.  Here would be my advice: Lose the fire starting cubes!!!  With a Map torch, there is never any question.  It works 100% of the time, and getting the lump burning takes only moments.  It is repeatable on every cook!!  Buying the torch at Amazon is @$40.  A bottle of map gas costs $10 and I just went thru my first one after 4 months of lighting @4 times a week.image

You can substitute Propane and the cost goes down to about $3/bottle.  The torch has a long enuf handle that you can keep all your tender parts away from the fire.  It also has a second function - great for getting rid of weeds!  I'm sure we could start another thread on alternative uses.  Here's a link on Amazon - free shipping with Prime: http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399482334&sr=8-1&keywords=bernzomatic+weed+torch .  You can be using it tomorrow.  I also have a Looflighter, that works very well, and others use less expensive heat guns.  But once you use the Weed Torch, those electric devices will be deeply entrenched in the bottom of your storage area.  There is no comparison. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Not uncommon for temps to dive when you put meat on. When you open the lid, some of the heat escapes, then you place a relatively cold mass (the meat) on the grill, which usually also blocks the direct radiant heat from hitting the dome thermometer. Also, depending on size and placement of the meat, it may be pretty close to the tip of the thermometer.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    edited May 2014
    Options
    If I get in a hurry, I have a 4' piece of double-walled stove pipe that I put on the top vent (lid closed, of course). It drops the air pressure in the main chamber which forces more air in. I will then overshoot my temp by about 20%, remove the stovepipe and adjust vents accordingly. Short of using a fan/blower, this method works well for me. Although I use the paraffin starters 95% of the time, if you are in a REAL hurry: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+big+green+egg+light+coals+5+minutes&qpvt=youtube+big+green+egg+light+coals+5+minues&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=DD2E330721F0D3B052FCDD2E330721F0D3B052FC
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You should stabilize the egg before putting food on. If you insist on starters break them into two or three pieces and put them a few inches apart. A Map torch, weed burner or the wand type will get you there a lot quicker. The lump itself will have an effect too, whether it's large or small pieces, brand or country of origin.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

@RRP is also on the right track with his advice to stir the old lump to prevent blocking the air circulation thru the holes in the fire grate with small pieces.  Also, clean out the portion under the fire grate after every few cooks.  A fire requires 2 items - air flow and fuel.  If ash is blocking your vents, it ain't gonna happen.

Typically, with the weed torch, the process is to light a few areas (depending on type of cook more if hi temp, less if low and slow), leave vents wide open with lid open for @ 10 minutes to get fire established.  Then close lid and start adjusting vents as necessary. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • Chi6488
    Chi6488 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the info.  

Yes, I am stirring the lump charcoal.  I'll try to start using the torch b/c I have one to light my fireplace during the winter.  
  • Tbonez3858
    Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
    Options
    tksmoke said:

I keep seeing threads about folks having trouble properly lighting their lump using paraffin based fire starters.  While there are lots of ways to do almost anything with the egg, some are easy, and some require much more effort.  Here would be my advice: Lose the fire starting cubes!!!  With a Map torch, there is never any question.  It works 100% of the time, and getting the lump burning takes only moments.  It is repeatable on every cook!!  Buying the torch at Amazon is @$40.  A bottle of map gas costs $10 and I just went thru my first one after 4 months of lighting @4 times a week.image

You can substitute Propane and the cost goes down to about $3/bottle.  The torch has a long enuf handle that you can keep all your tender parts away from the fire.  It also has a second function - great for getting rid of weeds!  I'm sure we could start another thread on alternative uses.  Here's a link on Amazon - free shipping with Prime: http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399482334&sr=8-1&keywords=bernzomatic+weed+torch .  You can be using it tomorrow.  I also have a Looflighter, that works very well, and others use less expensive heat guns.  But once you use the Weed Torch, those electric devices will be deeply entrenched in the bottom of your storage area.  There is no comparison. 

This man speaks the truth..Once you go MAP you never go back. It cut my egg prep by a 1/3.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Agree with the others on the stability of the Egg. I've had problems getting up to temp due to airflow, but once stabilized it rocks steady. The drop from opening and adding meat recovers quickly with small to average size meats. Make sure you have a true temp and it's not the immediate heat that hits the thermo. Your egg should be very warm to the touch. The ceramic needs to be warm, not just the air in the grill.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    I've been starting my Egg with paraffin starter squares for a year.  I use 3 squares if I'm shooting for a temp above 275 and 2 square for 275 or less.  I've never had a problem and don't have to wait longer than 5 minutes to get up to 400 (without a platesetter).

I always move the lump to the edge of the Egg to create a pit in the middle.  Then I place the 3 squares equidistant around the edges of the pit.  After the squares have been burning for a minute I  pile on the lump from the edge back onto the lit squares.