Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked peppers dehydrating

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy! Just smoked some red bell peppers, hungaarian peppers, jalapenos and vidalia onions for about an hour indirect over pecan and hickory. Sliced them up and put them on the new dehydrator I picked up. The thing is humming away.[p]BTW, American Harvest/Nesco has a new dehydrator that comes with 5 trays, and has a blow dryer type attachment that goes on top. I heard the new design works very well. Target has them for $21...on sale from $30. [p]Brisket for chili goes on the egg tonight. Per Gfw...Life is good.[p]NB
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Let me know how that dehydrator works out, I've been eyeing one of those things for quite some time now. Would be interested in some practical experience in how yours works. For 21 bucks its almost worth it sight unseen.[p]I'm getting ready to smoke some peppers on the egg this weekend, going to try and do some tomato also. The wife loves sun dried tomato, I'll see what I can do in the egg. It may keep them too moist, we'll see though.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Seems to be working great !! The whole house smells like smoked peppers and onions.
    The book that came with it says if you do tomatoes on it, they are better than sundried tomatoes.
    Once we get our veggie garden going (maybe when the twins are grown up) I will probably buy a couple more.
    Dry peppers and make your own chili powder. Fruit roll-ups for the kids. Like you say 21 bucks is nuthin.[p]Pair it up with a vacuum sealer, and you are a mini food processing plant.[p]Love that smell.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Can you tell me what model number that unit is? That is a pretty good deal with the fan. I want the wife to pick one up when she goes to town. I have learned the hard way, the more information given, the better the results. :~)[p]$21.00 - What a deal.[p]ashley
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Zip,
    That thang is amazing! Being new to dehydration, it is wild to see what happens. The 4 hungarian peppers, 8-10 Jalepenos, 2 fat bell peppers and one HUGE vidalia onion are now tiny-winy. It appears all of that will fit in a snack sized ziplock. Can't wait to see what happens with 6 pound of chunk-o-chest.[p]It is a Model # FD-27. The target receipt has a #072040027.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks![p]Z

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]"Pair it up with a vacuum sealer, and you are a mini food processing plant"[p]Stop it now, you're just teasing me. hehehe[p]I think I may go get one of those dehydrators. We'll be in
    St. Louis this weekend (no target here in boonland S. IL) For 20 bucks at Target its well worth the cost, especially for all of that garden stuff coming in lately. I can't can it fast enough to stay on top of the bounty. And if what they say about the sun dried tomato is true, my wife will want 7 of them to dry every tomato that we bring in. Thanks for the update on how it works.[p]Troy