Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-732

Hi fellow Eggheads,

Got a problem w/my Maverick ET-732 today.  Registers wacky temperatures.  It started OK however I noticed the fire getting up there fast w/ my new HQFGBGEL Stainless High Heat Charcoal Fire Grate Upgrade for Large Big Green Egg Grill frm. High Que.  Hope I didn't make a mistake on getting that upgrade?  I had the plate setter in place but noticed some flames hitting the wire of the probes.  That's when the crazy temperatures started showing up. 

1. do you think I fried the wires in that short time?

2. if so where can I get the replacement probes?

3. should I get rid of the High Que upgrade?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mbcjr/God Bless

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I fried one of my wires early on when I got my Maverick and I called the company and they sent me a replacement for free (but I think they're 8-10 bucks or so if you have to buy one).  Now I wrap my wires in foil and only use the Maverick for low and slows anyway.  Also make sure you run the wires over one of the legs of the PS.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• mbcjr
    mbcjr Posts: 14
    Thanks for the info KennyLee.  I was cooking a sitting chicken between 325-350 and done it many times before w/o any issues.  I guess there's always a first :(  I did see the flame however this time. (It was only a short time)  I'm going to keep a close eye on that new High Que high heat grate I just started using. I did notice some lump going through it as well,  we'll see!

Also do you foil the whole wire that's in the egg?  I had my foiled a few inches from the probes.

mbcjr/God Bless
    mbcjr/God Bless
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @mbcjr - foil from the probe cable junction, overlap at least 3/4", all the way through the base/dome junction. 
    Rethink your vent settings, the High-Q will let the egg breathe much better. 
    More air = more heat+more lump. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I have half of a 732 that a customer brought back......he melted the transmitter on the second use, but the receiver and probes are still good.  He chose to upgrade to a 733, and I bought the parts off him. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    @mbcjr Yes, I wrapped all of the portion of the wires that are in the Egg.  Haven't had a  problem since and that was about a year and a half ago. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• boostfed
    boostfed Posts: 63
    edited May 2014
    Did you wash the probes? the manual says only to wipe the probes down and don't wash with water.... Thats what I accidentally did and my probes are reading all willy nilly now. Called Maverick and told them what happened, they're sending out a new set of probes for me, so from now on i'll just be wiping them clean :) I'll probably end up wrapping them too.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    boostfed said:
    Did you wash the probes? the manual says only to wipe the probes down and don't wash with water.... Thats what I accidentally did and my probes are reading all willy nilly now. Called Maverick and told them what happened, they're sending out a new set of probes for me, so from now on i'll just be wiping them clean :) I'll probably end up wrapping them too.
    Ideal solution for clean freaks is to wipe with a damp cloth then finish with an alcohol swap. You can get 100 of them for less than $2. have just enough strength to wipe of the crud and leave you with a clean probe.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mbcjr
    Thanks for the tip Skiddymarker,  Maverick is sending a pair of new ones also.  However in my case I did see a flame hit the unprotected wire. So it's costing me for the replacement.  The Maverick people suggested I cover the wires exposed in the BGE w/heavy duty foil.

Also I'm going to be very cautious using my new upgrade from High Que (the steel grate replacement) I'm sure if I had the BGE's original grate this could have been  avoided.
    mbcjr/God Bless
  • mbcjr
    I want to THANK all you Egger's for your help.  It's a blessing to have this kind of support when a issue arises. And so fast too!!!!

Again thanks much and I'll keep you updated.

mbcjr/God Bless
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I really don't think it has anything to do with the high-q grate.  Perhaps a bit of a learning curve with the new grate, but you shouldn't have any problem keeping the flames under control with the high-q.  You just had the vents open too far.  

I always wash my food probe under running water.  I am careful not to submerge it and I don't put the "wire side" under the running water, but I like to clean the part that has been stuck in the meat.   I could be wrong but I think the probe is pretty well sealed.  As long as you don't get water in the side where the wire goes into the SS casing I think you are okay.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mbcjr
    I believe your right SmokeyPitt!  I just completed a slow and low cook and the high-q grate reacts to very small adjustments indeed.

I also talked w/the people that sells high-q and took their advise and don't rake the lump anymore. Seems to be working OK so far.

Later and this is an awesome forum :)

mbcjr/God Bless