Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's time to do something - But what? I need to loose weight

Options

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I don't exercise and terrified of it. Then to find time. Work allot of hours and driving kids all over to sports/events takes up my time. Hence eating takeout or eating out which is the worst thing you can do if trying to be healthy. I have to try something again soon as I am not feeling well and exhausted all the time. I don't even use the egg much anymore as no time to use it. And cooking indoors equals fattening crap food
    @johnkitchens and @robnybbq - swimming is a great form of exercise that is not as hard on your body, like running. Also, a stationary bike (or regular bike) is another great way to exercise. 

I trained for a triathlon a few years ago and learned one major thing that I always knew was true, but didn't believe - diet AND exercise is the key to loosing weight - who knew, right?! I spent months training and continuing to eat "whatever I wanted". I lost a couple of pounds simply from the training, but not enough. About a month before the triathlon, I started watching what I was eating and did my best to cut out carbs and sugars. By the time the triathlon came I had dropped close to 8 pounds since switching my diet, nearly 10 pounds total.

I'm a firm believer that you have to be active to gain energy. The more stationary you are (sitting at a desk all day, then the couch when you get home, etc), the less energy you are going to have. Start exercising slowly and set some easy-to-reach weekly goals. I promise you will start to feel more energized and will probably sleep better at night too. Having a friend or relative participate with you will help and a good way to keep each other honest. I'd encourage you to look online for different exercise programs and piece them together to fit your lifestyle.

I'm not a fitness coach by any means, but if you need any help, I'd be happy to try.

A lot of great advice has been given here and I wish you the best of luck in your journey. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon (pun somewhat intended).  
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Thanks @fence0407. I have a pool and plan on swimming a lot this summer. 

I have been walking a lot more at work than usual. It has only been a week for me, but I feel better already!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @fence0407. I have a pool and plan on swimming a lot this summer. 

I have been walking a lot more at work than usual. It has only been a week for me, but I feel better already!
    That's great! I think you'll benefit greatly from the swimming this summer. Keep it up!
    Cumming, GA  

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

It sounds like all you do is come up with excuses not to do what you know you need to be doing. You need to pick some sort of diet/eat healthier and exercise. I did primal and lost a lot of weight last year (and lowered my A1C, my blood sugar, both cholesterols, triglycerides and about everything else you can name. Became lax over the holidays and started eating whatever I wanted (not to mention drinking) and all my levels went back up and the diabetes came back. So I got back with the plan, my levels are coming back down and since January of 2013, I went from 217 to 175 and am down 42 lbs. I have gone from a 38 waist to a 34 which is now starting to feel a bit big. I feel better and I have more energy and am not tired anymore, not to mention I sleep better. Its a lifestyle change that is worth it. I just keep telling myself that all that stuff I can't eat is poison to my body (and most other people's as well).

And you can eat healthy when you go out to eat. Don't be afraid to ask the waiter about subsitutions. Most restaurants understand about diets and dietary needs/wants. We went out to eat Friday and the side for what I wanted to order was French fries. I talked to the waitress and she said I could sub grilled in season veggies, grilled asparagus or a side salad at no charge.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Read this: http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Fix-Diets-Fail-Yours-ebook/dp/B00C8S9VYI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399385988&sr=8-2&keywords=why+diets+fail

It'll save you a lot of time and frustration trying stuff that's highly unlikely to work in the long term.  It's not a question of losing a bunch of weight quickly.  It's a matter of finding something that you can live with in the long term and adjusting your mindset so that it becomes your new normal.  You can still eat the stuff you want to eat for the most part.  Just understand what it is that you're eating and make a conscious decision about how much of it you really need and whether you think it's worth it.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Last year when I did low carb I dropped 30 lbs in 2.5 months.  Did I feel great - Nope, full of energy - nope, - more energy - nope.  Clothes were looser though.  When I was doing low-carb I was preparing my meals = never ate out so I knew EXACTLY what was in the meals.  Came the start of the school year is where I lost control as I lost the time I had to cook/prepare the meals.  Leaving the house at 6:00 AM to go to work then off to a hockey rink then after the kids practice at 8:30 at night I need to feed the kids and myself - fast food/dining out is the answer or we would not eat until after 9:30 by the time we get home and cook a meal and the kids need to go to bed. 

There are things I know could be done - I just dont know how to manage my time anymore with all this going on.  I cant stand leftovers so preparing meals on Sundays and eating them all week will not work.  I got allot of work to do.  I dont go out to eat during work.  Its the bad meals for dinner/weekends.  I dont drink beer nearly as much as I used to but do enjoy liquor more now so beer is not the cause either.  Pasta is my biggest killer I will say - I love it and love italian food - only way I will eat chicken now.  I hate grilled chicken.

just venting here as I am in a bad rut.  Too many things going on that are not good.

Garnerville, NY
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    Options
    I know you said no exercise but movement is important.  What a lot of people don't know is that jumping right into running a mile or two a day is TERRIBLE for someone who doesn't do it on the regular.  Over doing it can be worse than doing nothing.  In all seriousness I recommend stretching and walking.  Anything to increase your heart rate slightly.  Then you can assess what your body can handle. The key is to start slow!

Other than that, maybe try a fresh juice drink instead of an adult beverage when egging. (Blasphemy I know)  Try throwing a salad in the mix with your meals that is light on dressing. (Not light dressing that stuff is crap)   Getting your recommended daily intake of water will also slightly help with your portion control concerns.  I have a friend who is a touch thick and he lost a decent bit buy just drinking 8 oz of water before every meal
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    diets fail because they are bandaids....nothing more, nothing less.. you must make life changes and crash dieting is just as unhealthy as the junk food. subtle changes from portion, removing sodas and cutting dairy+ grains back to minimal levels. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited May 2014
    Options

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    rob, your just destined to fail
    :))  maybe you just need something simpler. just change mondays wednesdays, and fridays. on those days skip lunch and take a 25 minute fast walk and drink an ovaltine when you get back to the office. keep your other meals sized correctly. jump rope 5 minutes a day in your back yard when you feel up to it, 5 minutes you should be able to fit in, a full 5 minutes
    :D  its a start
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fence0407
    edited May 2014
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Last year when I did low carb I dropped 30 lbs in 2.5 months.  Did I feel great - Nope, full of energy - nope, - more energy - nope.  Clothes were looser though.  When I was doing low-carb I was preparing my meals = never ate out so I knew EXACTLY what was in the meals.  Came the start of the school year is where I lost control as I lost the time I had to cook/prepare the meals.  Leaving the house at 6:00 AM to go to work then off to a hockey rink then after the kids practice at 8:30 at night I need to feed the kids and myself - fast food/dining out is the answer or we would not eat until after 9:30 by the time we get home and cook a meal and the kids need to go to bed. 

There are things I know could be done - I just dont know how to manage my time anymore with all this going on.  I cant stand leftovers so preparing meals on Sundays and eating them all week will not work.  I got allot of work to do.  I dont go out to eat during work.  Its the bad meals for dinner/weekends.  I dont drink beer nearly as much as I used to but do enjoy liquor more now so beer is not the cause either.  Pasta is my biggest killer I will say - I love it and love italian food - only way I will eat chicken now.  I hate grilled chicken.

just venting here as I am in a bad rut.  Too many things going on that are not good.
    @robnybbq - the answer to your problems might be a crock pot. Attached is a menu of healthy meals that you can make during the day and have ready the second you walk in the door. A simple Google search will bring back 1000 more options for you. Give it a shot!

Also - If you aren't already, you should begin drinking more water. A glass before every meal will help you cut back on portions. Also, you should look in to quinoa as a substitute for your Italian meals. My wife loves making spaghetti squash and I've actually come to like it. Very easy stuff that can hopefully fit your busy schedule. 

EDIT: Speaking of drinking a lot of water. Buy a 52oz Bubba Keg and see how much water you can drink in it daily. Bought mine from WalMart, but they're everywhere. Keeps water cold all day!
    Close this window
    Cumming, GA  

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    First of all, 80% of weight loss comes from diet.  Exercise has a moderate (at best) impact on your waistline.  It comes down to what you put in your mouth.  Specifically, it comes down to avoiding foods that cause high insulin responses.  On a practical level, what this means is LIMIT YOUR CARBOHYDRATES.  And equally importantly INCREASE YOUR FATS!

Fat and carbs should be on a see-saw: when one goes up the other goes down.   Contrary to the admittedly intuitive opinion that fat makes you fat, it does not.  Carbs make you fat.  Dietary fat has pretty much nothing to do with your waistline.  That means you can eat fatty cuts of meat (great for egging), use oils like olive, avocado, macadamia and coconut liberally.  Use butter.  Fat makes you full.  It makes you satisfied.  Eating fat is the key to making a low (or low-ish) carb diet sustainable.  Anyone who says they tried a low carb diet and it wasn't sustainable didn't increase their fats enough.  Have a steak for dinner with some vegetables roasted in olive oil or butter.  Pair that with a wedge salad.  You will be full.  You'll feel satisfied.  But if you cut your carbs and try to stay low fat, you'll be miserable.  That's how people screw low carb diets up.  They try to do low carb and low fat at the same time.  That's an awful approach.
    Southern California
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    +1 to what bicktrav said.  If you space out reasonable portions of protein and/or fat throughout the day, you'll feel full and less likely to binge on crap.  Carbs aren't inherently bad.  They're just the most convenient way to mindlessly consume a bunch of calories.  If you skip the starchy sides, you can still have most of the entrees that you'd probably like to have.  A Big Mac isn't a horrendous dinner to have if you don't pound a large fry and supersized coke with it.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Thanks guys - Will work on it.  just need to clear my head.

Garnerville, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I don't exercise and terrified of it. Then to find time. Work allot of hours and driving kids all over to sports/events takes up my time. Hence eating takeout or eating out which is the worst thing you can do if trying to be healthy. I have to try something again soon as I am not feeling well and exhausted all the time. I don't even use the egg much anymore as no time to use it. And cooking indoors equals fattening crap food
    Frankly, I'm with Acn (and also afraid I'll be taken the wrong way). "...you solicit input and then have a litany of reasons why suggestions won't work."

Terrified of exercise? Walking is exercise. Climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator is exercise. You don't have to run a marathon! But in any case, "I have no time" is just an excuse. If I'm understanding you correctly, this is not an optional thing. You HAVE to do this. Right? FIND the time. Both to eat healthier and to exercise. And clean out the spare room so you can use the treadmill. Personally, I HATE stationary exercise machines and would much rather walk (or better yet, bicycle) outdoors. But when the weather's bad, having it available could be the difference.

The egg is a heat source for cooking food. So is your kitchen stove. Cooking indoors doesn't mean "fattening crap" any more than cooking outdoors does. It's what (and how much) you eat... not where you cooked it.

Have to eat out a lot? Try Subway or similar. Order a foot-long turkey or chicken, load it up with lettuce, pickles, onions, jalapenos, green peppers, etc. and some oil and vinegar instead of mayo... and tell them to hold the bread. Subway also has a variety of salads, most of which have meat, but they may be higher in calories. You can check their website for nutritional info. And watch the salad dressings.

I don't understand the hate of vegetables and chicken. I love 'em all. Sometimes, I have an entire evening meal of nothing BUT vegetables. Delicious! Perhaps, for you, it's a matter of adapting. I was recently told I had to cut down on sodium. If you think carbs are everywhere, try buying foods without sodium! Anyway, when I first started cooking with less (or none), I didn't care for many things. I didn't think I had used that much sodium in the past, but apparently I did. Food with little or no salt was BLAND. People kept telling me I would get used to it. They were right! And it didn't take long either. Now, I often add no salt to anything I cook. Or just a tiny pinch if I do use it. If I can adapt, so can you.

Also, I have to watch my saturated fat intake. I can only occasionally eat beef, pork, cheese, pizza among other things. That does not mean I can NEVER have them, just that I have to limit how much and how often I do. Perhaps that is a key for you. If you tell yourself you can never have another baked potato - ever - you will likely fail. Less frequent. Smaller portions. But don't try to quit anything completely and forever. Unless your doc says you have to... different story then.

Speaking of your doc, have you talked with a nutritionist or dietician? They should be able to offer healthy alternatives too.

Leftovers? No, they are not always as good as hot off the stove/egg. But some things are excellent. I love to spatch a chicken because it tastes great and I can get several meals out of it. Sometimes reheated, sometimes cold, always good. 

Same with veggies. Sauté some shallots, add a whole bag of frozen peas (thawed) to the pan with a little water. Season with s&p or maybe some creole or other favorite seasoning. Several meals from this too. Reheats well in the microwave (just for a minute or so).

Both are excellent and quick. The carrots are also great without any of the add ons in that recipe. Or with goat cheese only (a very little is all you need, I just crumble an ounce or so over the carrots).

Finally, IMO, you need your family. A support system is very important if you are to be able to stick with a lifestyle change such as this. This is not just your problem. 

Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Man oh man between @GA_Dawgs and @Carolina_Q's posts I am motivated as hell! 

You guys have given some great advice. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    @robnybbq - Last year when you cut carbs and lost weight, what was your fat intake like?  Describe a typical dinner during that period.  I may be able to help you tweak that diet so that it's more sustainable for you.
    Southern California
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I hear smoking crack is a quick way to lose weight.......

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Rob, Another thing you might want to consider is actually goin and getting a physical and some blood work done. The reason I say that is because of your"no I didn't feel better or have more energy" comment. You may have something off balance that a good supplemental vitamin would greatly help with. This happened with my wife(who I didn't think needed to lose weight) but she tried the exercise and the better healthier eating and it just wasn't doing the trick. She had something out of kilter and once we got it straightened out everything was more better. I used to not exercise at all, didn't really need to because my job keep me physically fit, 5 years ago I took a sales position in the same company and all I do is sit in my truck and visit clients. Didn't take long for the gut to explode. We (works better if you have someone pushing you) work out M-F for 30 mins on the treadmill or elliptical and 20 mins on the weight bench. I am not super fit now by any means but I can tell when I get lazy and skip the exercise. By adding eating better/smarter to the exercise I have lost 12lbs in the last 3 1/2wks. 3 more lbs and I will celebrate with a pork butt or brisket. Gotta reward yourself right??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited May 2014
    Options
    In addition to the cooking recommendations @GA_Dawgs‌ and @Carolina Q have mentioned I'll suggest Cooking Light magazine. Their current issue are all recipes that can be done in 25 minutes or less. I've always had pretty good luck with their recipes, and they're always offering subscription deals, you can probably get a year for around $10. Also, if you have a tablet, you can probably download old issues with your subscription.

Pasta/Italian isn't really that bad, as long as you're watching your portions. Try switching from white pasta to whole wheat and remember that the 1lb box is 8 servings, not 3 or 4. But a serving of that plus a sauce made quickly by sautéing ground turkey, onion, peppers, garlic, and canned tomatoes and topped with a couple of teaspoons of grated parm is not horrible on a diet. You just have to watch how much pasta you're eating, and how much meat and cheese you're adding.

How are you doing your leftovers? I always find that they are best repurposed into something else. This is one of our favorite recipes for leftovers, as long as you have 3 cups of meat it has worked with chicken, turkey, tri tip, brisket, or pulled pork.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/20-minute-chicken-enchiladas-50400000128800/

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    The Myfitnesspal app makes it easy.  You tell it how much you want to lose, when you want to lose it and it sets up a calorie profile for you.  The you just list what you're eating as you're eating it.   
    The fact that you're thinking about what you're eating makes the system work.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

+1 on Cooking Light.  This month's cover (just got it today) has summer pasta recipes on it.  I know you love your pasta and there were five or six different recipes under 500 calories.  As everybody mentions, portion size is key.

And +1 on a crockpot.  All kinds of food can be cooked in one. Mix up the night before so you can toss in in the AM and you're good to go.

+1 on moving more.  What do you do between periods at the hockey games?  Walk up and down stairs or around the building.  Do something to get you moving, but start slowly even if it is only a few minutes at first.

Stop with the excuses.

Good Luck.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    I didn't read through all these threads.

Can't help but wonder how many overweight and out of shape people chimed in to give you advice though.

I'll make my response short and sweet. All your excuses are BS. Suck it up, and make a change. Feelings hurt? Sorry, not sorry. Diet is 80% of your results. Start there. Exercise / weights / cardio are all secondary. Get your diet right first, then hit the gym. High protein, high fats, low (notice I didn't say no) carbs. Prep your food 4 days at a time. Too lazy to prep your own food? PM me and I'll send you to a company that will do it for you. Hire a trainer. Have some accountability. Find a workout partner. Join the gym with your wife or co-worker. An hour is 8% of your day. Suck it up and MAKE A CHANGE.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I suggest reading "Why We Get Fat and What to Do about it" by Gary Taubes. Very interesting read and talks about how the food pyramid is all wrong and how and why "diets" don't work and what you should be doing instead. Pair that with Mark Sisson's "Primal Diet" and you will have a whole new outlook on what you should eat and what you should avoid, exercise and life in general.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    rethink your italian food, pasta can be 5 or 6 lobster raviolis with sauce and a big side of broccoli fried in oil and garlic with salt, pepper, and redpepper flakes topped off with some fresh grated parmigiano. dont go ruining it with a box of wheat pasta, or just eating half a box of spaghetti. and if your wife doesnt like lobster its no big deal to boil two pots of water and cook her spaghetti. find an italian market and buy the raviolis frozen and look for other things there like butternut filled cappellacci and serve it with some asparagus, make sure to add some veggie sides with the pasta. i posted this on the other forum when i found a new italian market, notice the whole plate isnt mounded with pasta, infact its a small side plate but it covers that need for pasta and its quick simple and delicous from the frozen section

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokyArkie
    SmokyArkie Posts: 65
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    It's time.  I have been saying it for years but this is getting out of hand.  What is an easy way to get into loosing weight without starving myself or going crazy.  I do not like most veggies and I have a pasta issue (eat too much of it).  Not a huge fan of chicken either and especially plain grilled chicken - bleh.

Would like to cook some meats that can me reheated all week as well. 

Dont say exercise as that is mission impossible (for now).
    I live a very busy life and have to have something that can go with me anywhere and at anytime  so I chose Weight Watchers.  If I am cooking on my BGE, at a social function, in an airport or (shudder) a drive through I can still figure out something that will fit my plan.  The flexibility makes it my choice.  Good luck!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I just passed a half million meters on my rowing machine. One million here I come. I added a projector and chromecast and now I work out more.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @Lit so did you row around the world yet.
    lol
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa