Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever made Wild Boar Shoulder?

Options
Anyone ever smoked a wild boar shoulder and pulled it like you would a pork butt?  Thinking about giving it a try, but I know it's leaner than traditional pork.  Would it work that way?
Southern California

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

I did something like that a few weeks ago.  It wasn't my best cook due to time as I started from frozen and went straight to turbo.  I don't recommend that.  We salvaged it with a good sauce that my son thought up.  I only did it that way to make room for another one in the freezer that I knew was forthcoming.  I'll definitely thaw the next one and cook it slower.  It doesn't get as juicy as storebought butt (which I sometimes don't even sauce) because it is leaner so I think the sauce takes on more importance, but it was a fun cook and we had some good eats. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1164782/hog-ribs-and-pulled-hog-ham#latest

Good luck and let us know how it goes (with pics).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Options
    I did a couple the same as I'd do any other butt and they were awesome.  First one was a good sized sow and the next two were small young ones.  As you say, they were very lean but I didn't notice any difference in the outcome...did them all low and slow and cooked to IT of 195.  They were great.  Made the hams and everything else into sausage that was really good too.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    So they didn't turn out dry on account of the leaner makeup of the meat?
    Southern California
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    Anyone ever smoked a wild boar shoulder and pulled it.

Yes sir. I have on more than one occasion my friend. The meat will turn out fine but no matter what you do it will no doubt be a little drier. You will get all kind of opinions on this but on a wild hog I would recommend injecting to help retain moisture and also "tame" the taste down a little for those not accustom to wild game. I usually marinate and inject depending on the age, size, gender and breed of the hog in question as all these determine how "strong" the final product will be. Here is another tip if you are not dead set on pulling the meat. At about 160 start sampling the meat and either stop the cooking if its to your liking or continue to cook until it meets your taste requirements. I prefer not to cook it until it pulls but that's just my preference. At any rate fire that bad boy up and enjoy. Good luck my friend. If its a young small hog I usually stop some where between 165 and 190. I know that's a big window but like I said I stop when they are to my liking not a set temp.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    @SGH - Thanks for the advice!  May have to give this a try!
    Southern California
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You are more than welcome my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I did a couple not too long ago. One I tried low and slow to 200. The other I just roasted to 160. You most likely will not have a pull apart product taking it to 200 without it being pretty dry, depending on fat content. I suggest rubbing it down and just roasting it.
    Dunedin, FL