Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber Q light #6503

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364

Thanks to whoever posted this!  Got lucky with the fit. 

Going forward, the Stanley tripod flashlight will stay home.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looking good Focker!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Focker
    Thanks caz.  Will likely get another for my large to help with the shorter days of fall and winter. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    It was a cool light idea. However, couldn't help but notice you have a Rutland on the dome and Nomex on the base. Why? :-?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker

@NPHuskerFL,

The Rutland is on the dome with a completely stripped base.  This was by choice, considering that eggs crack.  Fire box, fire ring, or base.  Also it keeps the gasket away from the heat.  Looks almost like new with it on the dome.  Not that grease or sauce in the Fibers would hurt.  If a base does crack, I just strip the new base's gasket and carry on.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• NPHuskerFL
    @Focker‌ I only ask because ya mainly see Rutland installed to the base. I would venture to say because there's less of an opportunity for fibers to fall into food (that would seem the logical reason). But, hey if it's working for you that's all that matters.
    Back to the light. Did you have to order it? & I'm wondering if it would fit LG or XL for eggers that would want that sort of setup? Pretty cool man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    @Focker‌ I only ask because ya mainly see Rutland installed to the base. I would venture to say because there's less of an opportunity for fibers to fall into food (that would seem the logical reason). But, hey if it's working for you that's all that matters.
    Assuming that any fibers did fall onto the food, there is no health risk there.  Sounds like a good idea to me.
    The Naked Whiz
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @NPHuskerFL-jumping in here as I have that light on the older style (narrow handle) LBGE.  I found the light at my local BGE dealer (who also sells webers).  Not sure about the XL fit but if you find it locally, I'm sure you can measure the distance between the bracket holes.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    edited May 2014

That crossed my mind for a second, but came to the conclusion that this will not happen, and so far, it hasn't.  Even if it does, I'm not concerned with the alleged health risks.

I have not witnessed falling fibers nor have I seen them in my food. 

Ordered it for around $24 on Amazon.  Make sure it is #6503 as there are at least two different Q light models out there.  I did have to bend it slightly to fit.  This light will work on the smaller wooden handle bands for either size.  Plan is to order another at some point for my large.  It is a nice bolt on accessory.  You can expect quality and durability from Weber as well.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2014
    Focker said:

Thanks caz.  Will likely get another for my large to help with the shorter days of fall and winter. 

I like mine...

photo 30b5903a-8c6c-45e9-9980-21de4d875a5a_zps70af3ae1.jpg

photo table_zpsd3dab84e.jpg
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Focker

@cazzy,

Thanks for the pic on how it lights up the large grid and surroundings.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Is it a push button/switch to turn them on? Do they turn on with movement? Might pick one up for camping in a few weeks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Yea, push button with sensor to light when open.  Push button to turn on when grilling, turn off when finished. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    Thanks Focker
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    No prob
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    @WeberWho?‌ Dan had one of those lights at his store but no price on it. Was going to go back and ask then forgot all about it until now.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• WeberWho
    Thanks Brisket_Fanatic‌ for the tip. Didn't even get into the store during the comp. Would have been nice with the discount

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2014
    @Focker‌ & @The Naked Whiz‌ The "alleged" health risks I've read about with Rutland on dome seemed like a reach to me. I don't see a difference on installing on dome vs base. On the base I see food etc getting on gasket (but, no biggie), on the dome gasket would likely stay cleaner. I can see it being easier to install on the base only if somebody didn't want to remove the dome to install it. Like I said was just curious. I still have original gasket (I think it's the nomex gasket) but, when it fails I go to the Rutland.
    I'm gonna go check at my BGE dealer today on the light as they also sell Webers. Thanks for the 411
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    The Rutland gaskets are much cheaper than Amazon if you buy from RRP.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.