Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Inch (2") Ceramic Ring For Large Egg Pictures Please

Hi

I am considering the 2" ceramic ring but is it really worth it. Does anyone out there use one and if so got any picture of it in use 

It seems to bring the grill closer to the coals but surely I could just use my normal ring and just put more charcoal in (this bring the coal to the grill)

Comments

• captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    You would be wise to grab one now if you're considering it...looks like it's being discontinued. It is used for getting more vertical space in the Egg, as opposed to getting closer to the coals. Think big Thanksgiving turkey ;)
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    My dealer had one and I bought it for $35. I started to use it one time and decided not to. I put it back in the box and it is now in my basement gathering dust for 5 years now...but maybe I'll use it one day...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I have one, used it one time, then I bought the A/R .

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    get a spider from the ceramic grill store and drop down a smaller grill, get a wok while your there to fit the spider
    :D  i dont see a real reason for the 2 inch ring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Stopped and picked up the two inch ring while they still had some. Now just need to get ready to cook a bunch where I need to extra room.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I never understood the reason for the 2"ring. Looks like something that sounded like a good idea to someone, but was not really that useful. Why would anyone bother with storing and occasionally swapping out the fire rings vs. filling up the charcoal more or less, or using a spider for more headroom??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hi Bud. What is an A/R?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Adjustable Rig
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    They also have a woo that will do the same thing, raise your grid higher.
    XL Owner
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2014
    caliking said:
    I never understood the reason for the 2"ring. Looks like something that sounded like a good idea to someone, but was not really that useful. Why would anyone bother with storing and occasionally swapping out the fire rings vs. filling up the charcoal more or less, or using a spider for more headroom??

Vaguely I recall it was created by BGE to solve a problem with a now discontinued raised grate contraption they created. It was only made for the large egg. Someone figured out that with the 2 incher in place you could shoehorn in yet a bigger turkey.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.