Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket feeding how many?

Options
I have been having an urge to cook a full packer brisket for the first time. I do have a question for the group though. I see so many people cooking 16 - 18 lb full packer briskets and I was wondering how many people are being served when cooking one of these. I can invite a few couples over for dinner but I do not want to be eating brisket for weeks. It is usually just SWMBO and my three year old daughter for dinner.
Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg

Comments

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I guess it depends on how you plan to serve the brisket, I have done a 12 lb for a group of 10, but in this case the client wanted the brisket for sandwiches, I sliced it thin and they had buns and other items to snack on as well.  My most recent brisket this past weekend was a 9.5 lb and it was enjoyed by five people with minor leftovers for my lunch the next day.  If you do them right, it seems to disappear pretty quickly!  Nothing wrong with leftover brisket, so good the next day!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    The big packers cook better.  I have to drive a long way to get them.  So shortly after getting the egg I felt a strong urge to get a deep freezer and a food saver.  Much of my meat goes into food saver bags and gets frozen before I cook it, and when I finally cook it much of the meat is bagged and frozen again. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Last one I cooked was about 12-13 pounds for a group of about 14.....a few kids, but some REALLY big eaters too.  There was more than enough and actually had leftovers that lasted a few days.  Of course we had plenty of sides, beans, mac and cheese, rolls, buns for chopped beef sandwiches, tortillas for brisket tacos, etc. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Options
    I am just horrible about eating leftovers. I am always ready for the next new meal. I need to be more creative about repurposing my leftovers with new meals. The board has provided me with many alternatives for the leftovers and now I just need to start trying them.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Well don't I feel like a gluten. I made a 18#er packer for 7. Had enough for dinner and one leftover dinner the next day. Just an idea but, for leftovers why not give this recipe from @EggObsessed‌ a whirl. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163323/award-winning-smoked-brisket-chili-served-at-salado-after-party-2014
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Options
    Never feel like a gluten just take it as a compliment to your cooking.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Auburntgr‌...oops I was supposed to share? =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL