Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Difference between cooking on a BIG GREEN EGG and a gas grill- some thoughts

Options

Yesterday, I attended a party and was asked by the host to cook on his high-end gas grill. My assignment was to cook chicken breasts and Italian sausage.

The results were OK but compared to cooking the same items on the BGE, they were unsatisfactory to me.  Here are some thoughts:

Cooking on the gas grill involved hotspots.  So, a chicken breast that got burned and dried out was right next to one that was still raw. On the BGE, there is no such thing as a hotspot- unless of course, it's by design i.e. you contain the fire to one side.  

Flare ups- once the fat from the sausage and the chicken marinade would drip on to the burners, I couldn't contain flare ups on the gas grill. I was instinctively looking for a lower vent to close off so I could shut off air flow like I have on the BGE but no such lower vent existed, moreover, I don't think it would have been effective anyway because there were so many areas where air could enter into the grill and help fuel the grease fires that kept popping up.  So, I had to move the meat around a lot, and it was a pain trying to avoid the flare ups- I ended up shutting off one of the burners and moving most of the food to the unlit side.  It took me a LOT longer to cook this way compared to what it would have taken BGE. 

Fuel- my host informed me that he wasn't sure how much propane was left (no gauge) so I had to hope we didn't run out.  On the BGE, I've actually cut some mesquite branches off a tree in my yard and thrown them on the fire to let them burn down to a sear-friendly temp or a pizza making temperature if I was low on lump charcoal supply-but I always know how much fuel I have by looking at the bag and am never at the mercy of a propane filling place. 

Flavor- cooking over lump hardwood charcoal yields a more flavorful chicken breast or sausage than cooking over a propane burner.

Moisture- the first time I made sausages on the BGE (September of 2012) I thought they were undercooked because they were so moist.  I even considered the possibility that the meat thermometer somehow gave me a higher temperature reading than actual.  I discovered that the meat was cooked to the right temperature as I tested the meat with a second internal digital meat gauge.  On the gas grill, the chicken was rubbery and the sausage was OK but a little dried out-there was way too much loss of moisture.

Clean up- I get a hot fire in the BGE after a cook and all the stuff burns up.  the next day, I rake the ash out with the ash tool and we are as good  as new.  The gas grill didn't get hot enough to burn off the grease and the pan underneath filled with charred meat remnants and grease and it was such a mess, I had a hard time with it.  I will not be going back to a gas grill for my own uses. I used to have a Weber Summit Gold six-burner and after I got the BGE, I got rid of the gas grill.   

I've had several Weber kettle grills and a few other metal box wood burners, but the ceramics of the BIG GREEN EGG are superior to metal grills all day long for heat and moisture retention and temperature control.

Temperature Control- the gas grill never got above 350 yet the meat was too charred to eat (waste) and all the meat was too dry for what I like to have.  That being said, the temp control on BGE is so precise, I can't believe it. I  had forgotten about how important this is.

Yesterday's experience served as a reminder of things I take for granted.  I can't believe how much more enjoyable cooking on the BGE is over anything else.

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I think trying to control air flow on a bass bbq could have disastrous results, on an egg you have little burp but not sure what to expect with propane.

Gerhard
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It sounds like you have a greater appreciation for your egg than ever. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Totally agree with your synopsis, especially moisture and flavor.  The only thing one could control is the propane level.  When I had a gasser, I ALWAYS had a full backup bottle ready to hook up at a moment's notice.  Anything short of having at least two with a  full one waiting in the wings is poor planning.

My findings have been the same.....and not only is the Egg superior to gassers with longer "smoker" type cooks, but to me also beats even the best gassers at their bread and butter, the hot and fast cook, burgers, dogs, steaks, fajitas, etc.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I got rid of my fairly decent Broil King gas bbq last year after acquiring multiple eggs because it was used only about three times a year.

However, if I'm asked to cook on a high-end gas grill I would leave 1 or 2 burners off to create direct and indirect zones.
    canuckland
  • Tylerd76
    Tylerd76 Posts: 43
    Options
    Great insight. It's funny how all my friends with gas grills end up buying food and bringing it over to my house to cook on the egg. Time to buy a second egg, I'm becoming obsessed...
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Just a FYI for anyone else asked to cook on a gasser without a fuel gage: pour a cup of hot tap water down the side of the bottle, that'll let you know the gas level.  
    I'm not gonna bad-mouth my old Weber, I had many good meals off it.  But, I have many great meals off my Eggs.  
    :D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• CosmicVoyager
    Options
    This time of year, the hardware stores roll out the gassers. I feel like I should be outside with a sign like a crazy person, warning people away. 

BEWARE THE BLUE FLAMES OF HELL! 
    AVERT YOUR GAZE FROM THE STAINLESS HARLOT!
    REPENT AND BE SAVED
    YOUR CERAMIC SALVATION AWAITS!

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • CosmicVoyager
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @CosmicVoyager-for the record I find the above pic to be very offensive!  If you don't like it here, move on.

For the record, I do too. It was meant to be a funny. I'm very sorry that you didn't get the joke. Perhaps I should dumb it down a bit...

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I still use my gasser, but I use it to clean all of my AR grills!
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I think the choice of picture should have been better chosen. No dumbing down required. Thanking God anyone is dead is just wrong
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Agree with the gasser vs BGE. One thing, I still have hot spots on my Egg. I just jockey the meat around a bit. Seems to be worse at the 350 -500 range...if I'm low n slow or fast and hot I'm pretty even.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • CosmicVoyager
    Options
    I think the choice of picture should have been better chosen. No dumbing down required. Thanking God anyone is dead is just wrong

That's the point. Westboro Baptist Church is a bunch of crazy people. Yeah, you confirmed with me that dumbing down is required. No one here probably knows who Westboro Baptist Church is.

Horseflesh said:

This time of year, the hardware stores roll out the gassers. I feel like I should be outside with a sign like a crazy person, warning people away.

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • stevesails
    Options
    Well excuse me. Not paying attention and know who this Westbrook Baptist church does not make me dumb. Maybe smarter that I don't know these crazies
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I am willing to bet that most people here know who Westboro Baptist Church is. I understand what you were doing, and I didn't find it offensive because it was an actual pic of them picketing with an added gasser graphic. You were trying to show a graphic of crazy on display. I get it!

• johnkitchens
    Options
    It is all good Steve! You are among friends here.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Botch said:
    Just a FYI for anyone else asked to cook on a gasser without a fuel gage: pour a cup of hot tap water down the side of the bottle, that'll let you know the gas level.  
    I'm not gonna bad-mouth my old Weber, I had many good meals off it.  But, I have many great meals off my Eggs.  

Please elaborate. I have a gas grill, but it is tied to the house propane line, so I never have to worry, but my father has a tank - I would like to tell him this trick...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • stevesails
    Options
    I know. I am now addicted to pizza on my egg. Can't get enough
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Botch said:

Please elaborate. I have a gas grill, but it is tied to the house propane line, so I never have to worry, but my father has a tank - I would like to tell him this trick...
    Just tell him to get a backup bottle and refill the empty one to be the next backup.  Never run out of propane and no trick needed. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I remember back in my gasser days when I would run out of gas midway through the cook. Not a happy bride on many occasions.

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I remember back in my gasser days when I would run out of gas midway through the cook. Not a happy bride on many occasions.
    I don't miss those days either, happy wife = happy life!  My wife also doesn't mind the fact I do most of the cooking too cause I just like to have fun with my Egg
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• CosmicVoyager
    CosmicVoyager Posts: 81
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I am willing to bet that most people here know who Westboro Baptist Church is. I understand what you were doing, and I didn't find it offensive because it was an actual pic of them picketing with an added gasser graphic. You were trying to show a graphic of crazy on display. I get it!

I know. I am now addicted to pizza on my egg. Can't get enough

Well excuse me. Not paying attention and know who this Westbrook Baptist church does not make me dumb. Maybe smarter that I don't know these crazies

I really don't feel that I owe anyone an apology. We are all men here and yes, My pick obviously wasn't a hit, please feel free to grow a pair and get over it! Many comedians have gone through this and shouldn't expect 100% acceptance.

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Botch said:

Here's a video that shows it pretty well; most of the time you can just look at the wet area and tell.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌ ...been there done that. Then shut the lid in hopes the heat would stay in and then haul ass up the road for a refill cylinder (I always had 2 tanks), get back 20 minutes later to a cold grill. These days I don't have a gasser but, I still have my 2 LPG cylinders and a turkey fryer setup with several other pot size variations for use on that setup. I'll still occasionally will use for crab boils, fish fry, low country boil etc. My LBGE is the workhorse at our home.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I only got my egg a few months ago and figured I'd use it for low and slow cooks and the gas grill would be for most other things.  The cover hasn't been off it since I got the egg...I better check there isn't a mouse nest in there!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Thanks for the memory ... on a rare occasion when I was pre-heating my gaser I smelled fresh protein, yeeeeeeeeek  :-O
    canuckland
  • Drigler
    Drigler Posts: 25
    Options
    I was about ready to stop eating chicken all together because it always came out rubbery or tough on my gas grill. I went to a high end grocery store in my area (AJ's) for chicken, it helped... but now I will only do spatchcock on the BGE and buy cheaper chicken at the regular store. Even reheated in the microwave, the chicken comes out moist and tender! BGE is a game changer... wait, no... a life changer!
    XL - Chandler, AZ
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    westernbbq I'm not sure what you consider a "high end" gasser. If it was purchased at the depot it wouldn't be in the category of high end IMHO. Another thing is not all gassers run on propane tanks. Mine is hard lined into natural gas so I never run out and there is no propane taste. I've cooked on Kamados for over thirty years, and I currently have six, but my gasser still has its place in my arsenal of cooking. I SV'ed  chix brst tonight and if you think I was going to fire up one of my Kamados so I could sear one side for a total of three minutes it doesn't make sense. You are not going to impart any smoke flavor in that amount of time.  Saturday I had beef ribs going on my XL and I boiled the water for mac and cheese on one side burner while I sautéed bacon and onion on the other, I haven't seen anyone doing that on an egg. I know there's a lot of gasser bashing here but they do have their place in outdoor cooking.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser