Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bad day...

I was doing some burgers this weekend and all of a sudden I hear a "pop". After reading some other posts on here my fears were confirmed. It looks like a surface crack but nonetheless I am upset. I'm thinking I'll try some hi temp epoxy and see what happens. I bought this off of CL 2 years ago and I have a lot of extras for it, so I'm hoping this will delay the inevitable. image
LG BGE, plate setter, highQ grate, Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier rack, Smokeware SS vent cap, BBQ GURU Party Q, super fast Ravens purple Thermapen and Maverick ET-732
image.jpg 762.3K
·

Comments

• JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 2,500
    Ouch. I'd look into a replacement ASAP. $-)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    That isn't a surface crack. If you clean the egg out and vacuum it you will see it on the inside too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Monty77Monty77 Posts: 403
    That is a bad day, I feel for ya!  On another note, good looking dog in the background, is that a golden retriever?  
    Large BGE 2011, Mini Max 2015, Digi Q DX2, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from Delaware, Ontario, Canada 

·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,392
    Oh snap! Your right. That is a good lookin dog.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • CambenCamben Posts: 23
    Yep, that's a Golden. I'm trying to put off the cleaning because I'm afraid of what I might find. I guess I'll burn her till she breaks apart. Keep your eyes posted... Might be some eggcesories available real soon :(
    LG BGE, plate setter, highQ grate, Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier rack, Smokeware SS vent cap, BBQ GURU Party Q, super fast Ravens purple Thermapen and Maverick ET-732
    ·
  • Camben said:
    Yep, that's a Golden. I'm trying to put off the cleaning because I'm afraid of what I might find. I guess I'll burn her till she breaks apart. Keep your eyes posted... Might be some eggcesories available real soon :(
    This should be covered by the warranty.
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
    ·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,392
    There has to be a way to bond it some how. At least seal the crack right? Be careful
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,658
    edited May 2014
    This should be covered by the warranty. 
    unfortunately no warranty since he bought it off CL.
    canuckland
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,930
    I cooked with a crack like that for almost a year... Keep it under 500 and in the nest and just egg on. By a base at some point and change it out when you need a new gasket(something else I cooked lacking for almost a year LOL)

The base is probably equal or cheaper than all of your accessories.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,298
    Call about getting a base. It should be under 200. The other option is post on Craigslist that you need a new one, they tend to pop up all the time in certain areas.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    hapster said:
    I cooked with a crack like that for almost a year... Keep it under 500 and in the nest and just egg on. By a base at some point and change it out when you need a new gasket(something else I cooked lacking for almost a year LOL) The base is probably equal or cheaper than all of your accessories.
    And put a fire resistant mat under it if it's on a flammable surface. It looks like a mini and there have been a few instances of the whole bottom dropping out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,317
    The dog knows that you're upset.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
    The dog knows that you're upset.
    Lol, yeah I guess I checked out for second. Words were flying!

·
    Never thought about buying just the base. I will check into that since I really like my egg. In the mean time I will use the egg for smoking and my Weber for grilling. The only thing that I can think that might have caused this is that after I fired it up I moved it to a different spot on my patio. ????
    ·
  • plumbfir01plumbfir01 Posts: 679
    Where you live @Camben
    Beaufort, SC
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I've got a crack just like that in mine. I still have the replacement in my garage. Cracked base hasn't made a difference at all yet.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
    Where you live @Camben

I live in southern PA
    ·
    edited May 2014
    yzzi said:
    I've got a crack just like that in mine. I still have the replacement in my garage. Cracked base hasn't made a difference at all yet.
    </blockquote That's good to hear. I got some JB Weld and applied it to the egg today. I'm thinking of getting some PC 11 and covering a greater area underneath the egg for extra strength. I called the local dealer and he wanted around $500 for the bottom. At that price for a bottom I'll invest in something else or just try and get a used Smokey Mountain.
    ·
  • horsefleshhorseflesh Posts: 204
    yzzi said:
    I cooked with much worse cracks than that for a couple of years. I have the warranty parts, have not bothered to use them yet. I cook at any temperature I please including clean burns. 

·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I've had 2 bases crack like that over the years, which is why I think the warranty is worth something.....
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Miked125Miked125 Posts: 269
    Man that sucks.
    ·
    Since I spent less than $100 of Craigslist 2 years ago I can't complain. They want $500 for the base( insane). I still have my trusty Weber and I might look at a Humphrey's. In the mean time I have it epoxyed up and run her till she gives up.
    ·
  • misumisu Posts: 213
    buy one of these and put it under the fire box just in case

·
    misu said:
    buy one of these and put it under the fire box just in case

that's a great idea! Will look into it. Thanks
    ·