Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi q wifi?

Options
I have a MBGE AND I'm looking to invest in a Digi Q type device to do some smoking along some other cooking. I see people mentioning Wifi... Do I need a Wifi signal OUTSIDE to monitor on my iPhone or ipad inside? Do I need to get the temp set BEFORE putting the Digi q in place? Thanks friends

Comments

• DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    I've got the Cyber WiFi.  It is VERY flaky, difficult to setup, etc.  I found the WiFi setup to be primitive compared to other household devices that can join WiFi.  On my iPhone/iPad, I had to install Google Chrome, as it doesn't refresh under Safari very well.  It finally died over the weekend at < 2 years old.  Warrantee is 1 year, but my AMEX card adds another year, so I'm OK.  Yes, you would need to have WiFi coverage at your egg for this to add any value.

Note that when it worked, it worked well :-)

My dad and some work buddies all have the DigIQ and love them.  Once I settle the warrantee claim, I'll "downgrade" to that model.

Good luck.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I have a MBGE AND I'm looking to invest in a Digi Q type device to do some smoking along some other cooking. I see people mentioning Wifi... Do I need a Wifi signal OUTSIDE to monitor on my iPhone or ipad inside? Do I need to get the temp set BEFORE putting the Digi q in place? Thanks friends
    Richie, I just typed a nice long informative post (well, I thought so,  :) ) but the forum is doing it's nasty thing again pretending that a post needs approval.  Basically, yes, you need to be able to connect wirelessly to your router from whereever your control device is.  Check out my website and you'll find a review of the CyberQ Wifi and The Stoker Wifi.  They are both good devices and both work well controlling temps.  Just look at the prices and features and make your choice.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    Richie, I agree - devour the info on the Naked Whiz site. While I have not used it on a cook yet, based on the reviews from the Naked Whiz, I purchased the Stoker. The Wi-Fi setup was easy bacause you plug it into your router to start and then just let it find it, enter in the ID and password and it's done. Easy peasy.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• RICHIED777
    RICHIED777 Posts: 91
    Options
    Unfortunately my wifi signal outside stinks, do I have other options?
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    I think you can set it up as an ad hoc network, but wouldn't be able to access the Stoker via the Internet - for example, to check on your brisket from work via your smart phone.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Honestly, I will never understand the need for wifi. My DigiQ holds temp for as long as I need and I rarely even check on it until I think it's getting close. I have no desire for graphs, charts or apps. I don't care what the meat temp was 3:12 into the cook! Just keep the temp where I set it until the meat is ready. No wifi needed or wanted.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    Richie, one thing you can do, buy a wifi extender, it will boost your signal. It plugs into the wall and is easy to set up if you have a newer router(mine is over three years old). I used Naked Wiz's site to do my setup on CyberQ wifi, which made it easy but I had a linksys router. I love the wifi , I can be inside working or prepping food and keep checking on the pit. The other part to be aware of is the probes are fragile and can't take heat, it will melt the casing. I bought a heat shield for my setup and route it through the top. It also gets stuck during the cook and you have to restart it a few times. I think I would try Stoker if I had to do over again.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    I can't say much about the Digi, but I've got the Stoker Wifi and I love knowing exactly what the pit and meat temps are while I'm kayaking 30 miles away. 
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    J_Que said:
    I can't say much about the Digi, but I've got the Stoker Wifi and I love knowing exactly what the pit and meat temps are while I'm kayaking 30 miles away. 
    But I DO know exactly what my pit is doing. Because it ALWAYS does exactly what I told it to do. Without wifi. And in any case, I would never leave my egg going while I was 30 miles away in a boat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    I have a cyber q wifi. Set up was fairly easy by following instructions that came with the unit.  It can run on your local network or through the web on wifi or cell in infrastructure mode. I agree that it is nice to be able to check in your cook remotely, especially those long cooks.  It maintains temps spot on for hours.  I love mine and have found BBQ Guru to have great customer service so far.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • Mr_Egg
    Mr_Egg Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi mate - I have a digi q and the instructions are dreadful. Took me a while to work out. I think the answer in terms of firing the egg and controlling the temp us don't over fire it before attaching as the digi q is good for getting the temp up but not getting it down. Best to get temp up to about 100f then plug it in. Be patient but eventually it sets itself. It's not been the answer to all my problems as is often quoted but I think doing this the last time cracked it
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I understand what Michael is saying.  The DigiQ will maintain the temp without any worries.  If you are newer to the Egg like me and like gadgets, you might enjoy the CyberQ Wifi or Stoker.  I have the CyberQ and appreciate the ability to watch the Egg stabilize, monitor how much the blower is going and review the temps of meat during a cook, from inside the house, or at the store..  I have learned a lot with this gadget and perhaps over time will not feel the need to monitor it this closely..  I also like that it texts any temp alarms to me...helps for a restful night on a long cook...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    @smbishop  I could not have said it better myself. 

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• smbishop
    Options
    Thanks @TheShaytoon What are:  A Flying Scot, A Melges 24, And An Olson30??  I get the rest.  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    I race sail boats...well I used to until I broke my foot a couple of months back.  Now I am just gaining weight.  hahaaa

This is my Olson

This is my Melges 24

and this is my Flying Scot that I keep at White Rock.

Dallas, TX

• smbishop
    Options

Awesome!  Back in the day, I entered a few windsurfer races, have a tattoo on my right foot to remind me when I had the right of way...  LOL

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited May 2014
    Options

@TheNakedWhiz totally rocks!!!  His instructions on the CyberQ make setup and configuration painless.  In fact, his web site is a treasure trove of Egg craft and lore.  But damn - no T Shirts...

Santa Paula, CA
  • smbishop
    Options
    tksmoke said:

@TheNakedWhiz totally rocks!!!  His instructions on the CyberQ make setup and configuration painless.  In fact, his web site is a treasure trove of Egg craft and lore.  But damn - no T Shirts...

Totally agree.  TheNakedWhiz, Thirdeye, and the Forum(s) sites are where I have learned 99% of my success over the past 3.5 years...
  • JamesM
    JamesM Posts: 13
    Options
    I use the digit wifi and find it to be excellent for controlling my cooks. I have both the digiq and the wifi version. I use the wifi version when I'm going to be away for a period of time or when I'm doing an overnight. Both are excellent.
  • RICHIED777
    RICHIED777 Posts: 91
    Options
    Thanks peeps, my Egg sits near my garage where my WIFI signal is lacking. Not sure if I can boost my signal at my garage?
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    I got this and it works pretty good.  You have to run a network wire, but once it is hooked up, I found that the signal being emitted from it is much stronger than the signal from the router.  And it is meant to mount outdoors.

Dallas, TX