Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Guru and a Prime Rib

T-47T-47 Posts: 84
edited 2:33AM in EggHead Forum
I was looking for advice regarding a cook I am doing tomorrow. I am cooking a 14-pound boneless Prime Rib. I have a recipe that I did last Christmas on my WSM for a Herb Crusted Prime Rib. I would like to try it on my large BGE this time around.
My problem is that I have only used my BGE for Trex steaks and low temp (225) guru cooks. I have not had much practice with holding lower temps on it and don’t want to screw up this piece of meat. Can I use my Guru for a cook of 350 degrees? Or is that too high of temp for it to maintain? If so, do I just start it the same way, and wait until it hits that temp to put the meat on?
And would I use the plate setter? The Prime Rib I cooked last Christmas was bone in and smaller, but it came out just incredible.
As always, thanks for your help and advice.

The recipe is here if it makes any difference on the BGE. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast1.html
·

Comments

• The BBQ Guru can hold 350 degrees just fine. I would use a plate setter and be sure the probe wires are shielded by one of the legs. Treat it just like you do your low-n-slow cooks. Bring it up to temperature and toss the meat on.
    ·
  • T-47T-47 Posts: 84
    Anyone have an idea about how long a 14 pound prime rib will take?
    ·