Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

any use a BBG Guru control with Battery?

I'd like to take my BBQ Guru DigIQ DX2 camping with me...  Has anyone connected one of these to batteries?  How much battery did you need to survive a 12-hour cook?  Did you use an off the shelf battery, or build a battery pack?

Thanks!

--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
·

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 15,611
    edited May 2014
    I use one of those jumper battery packs and it works fine!

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,456
    I just went to Radio Shack and bought the proper size cannon plug, some wire and a couple alligator clips.  I  just clip it right to my truck battery.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • DaveMDaveM Posts: 90
    @RRP, where did you get the cord?  It looks pre made.  
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
    ·
    edited May 2014
    BOWHUNR said:
    I just went to Radio Shack and bought the proper size cannon plug, some wire and a couple alligator clips.  I  just clip it right to my truck battery.

Mike
    Good point, Mike. Buried somewhere in the Guru instructions there is an explanation of the polarity needed whether the +/- is inside or outside the male plug that goes into the Guru. The RS adapter I bought has alternative plug configurations. 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,456
    BBQ Guru also sells them in a couple different configurations.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
    DaveM said:
    @RRP, where did you get the cord?  It looks pre made.  

Radio Shack
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I too use a "car battery" thingy from Target that has clamps and sockets.  It will run a Guru for years, lol.  Think of it this way.  If four AA batteries will run a PartyQ for 48 hours, how long do you think a car battery will last?
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,848
    @RRP I see you got one of those new fangled Gurus with the cool retro knobs. :))

I like it actually. I'm a sucker for old school electronics.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA
    XL BGE - S BGE - Blackstone Pizza Oven - 30" Steel Fire Pit w/Cooking Grid - Hasty Bake Legacy - KJ Jr - Gasser
    ·