Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seen in South Philly

Options
Anyone know this place???image

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Is it a store front?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Yes, know it well.  It's on 9th Street in South Philly aka the "Italian Market".  They make phenomenal whole pigs, plain or stuffed.  They bake them to order in a very, very large vertical indoor oven.  They'll either deliver it along with or without a carver or you can pick it up yourself, just bring a large wooden plank to carry it on.  I've gotten whole pigs from Cannulis going back over 30 years ago, they're always fantastic. 

I assume you're looking for a fresh uncooked one however, to smoke yourself?  While they likely sell them that way too, there is no shortage of farms/other places to get that.  I'd lean towards Cannulis if you're looking for one to be cooked for you, and cooked extremely well.

Edit: keep in mind what they will cook to order will be a baked pig, served with probably a gallon of juice - in the style of porchetta as opposed to a smoky bbq'd pig.  I don't think they do a smoked version but I could be wrong about that, they may have that capability too
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    All of a sudden I want a cheese steak.   Just don't say you prefer Geno's....  
    :-t
    LBGE/Maryland
  • grege345
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    All of a sudden I want a cheese steak.   Just don't say you prefer Geno's....  
    :-t

uh oh. I'm a Geno's guy. :-\"

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    I've never had Pats's or Geno's. My FIL swears by mama's on Belmont ave. I don't have any thing to compare them to, so I like mama's also.
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    Tony Luke's on Oregon is the best
    Chester, MD
  • grege345
    Options
    Tony who? Geno's wiz wit. The end

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    John's Roast Pork in South Philly has a great cheese steak wit Provolone.
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Delesandro's has the best steaks.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Jim's on South. Mmmmmm... wiz-wit. 

Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Nicks roast beef. One word yummmmm
  • KiterTodd
    edited May 2014
    Options
    My word...doesn't anyone respect the classics!!!?!?

Whiz Wit at Pat's.   That's the only proper order...
    ...I will give you that Geno's makes a better french fry, though.  ;)

The few roast pork sandwiches I've had are awesome...more of an adult cheesesteak for me. But I haven't visited the legends yet like Tony Luke's or Tommy DiNic's.  I'm in Maryland now, though, and nobody makes a decent cheese steak, let alone a roast pork sandwich. And don't get me started on the pizza...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Delesandro's has the best steaks.
    I traveled to the Philly area for work often years ago and I found article on steak places recommended by locals and this was no 1.  I tried it and it was indeed great.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    John's Roast Pork for the cheesesteak and the roast pork sandwich.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Lived in Philly for years.  John's Roast Pork is hands down the best cheesesteak there.
    Southern California
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Ok. I've tried looking through my pictures so I guess I'll just ask y'all.

There's an Irish? Place in the historic distric? By the colleges. It's right beside a bbq place with this giant pinup girl painted on the wall. Any ideas??

Anyhow, they had a great cheesesteak.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    @jeremiah, the colleges aren't close to the historic district; they're across the river in a distinctly different area, West Philadelphia. I don't go to West Philadelphia outside of business, but I'm guessing Cavanaugh's. College bar atmosphere? Regular bar food? We have some legit Irish bars on the other side of town, but I can think of only one in the historic district proper, the Plough and Stars, though I would classify it more of a restaurant than bar. No pin-up girls but really good Irish food. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I was only there for the day and I'm pretty sure it was close to the colleges. The bbq place was beside it with the pinup painted in the wall. Now it's bothering me. It was a neat place.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    +1 for Dalesandro's.  Pat's wins the head to head battle against Geno's easily. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Timvanee
    Timvanee Posts: 43
    Options

Yes! My wife actually ordered a whole roasted pig there last year for my 30th.. Phenomenal taste, fully deboned and seasoned italian style...

And +1 on John's Roast Pork for cheesesteak

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Pat's is the original.   It's not necessarily the best - right now Tony Luke's probably is.    But roast pork sandwiches are THE sandwich in Philly.   Nick's is great but in the suburbs [where I live] you've got weekend porchetta at Luigi & Giovanni's in Newtown Square.  It's worth the trip.
    In Center City [that's "downtown" for anyone who isn't from filadelphya] there is a great roast pork sandwich at DiNic's in the Reading Terminal.  But remember,  you have to provolone and broccoli rabe on the sandwich.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    edited May 2014
    Options
    John's Roast Pork won a James Beard Award.  Pretty astonishing when you consider it's a dilapidated little sandwich shack beneath a freeway.  But when you get the food it makes perfect sense.  The cheesesteak with sharp provolone might be the best sandwich I've ever had.
    Southern California
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    All these Philly people coming out the woodwork! Great to see. 

The Philly Meat Trifecta:

John's for Roast Pork
    Jim's for steaks
    Nick's for Roast Beef
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Farbuck said:
    Pat's is the original.   It's not necessarily the best - right now Tony Luke's probably is.    But roast pork sandwiches are THE sandwich in Philly.   Nick's is great but in the suburbs [where I live] you've got weekend porchetta at Luigi & Giovanni's in Newtown Square.  It's worth the trip.

RIght there on St Albans circle... I know it well. You know they do not make it there, right? They actually order it from a place in Philly, and bring in each weekend. Excellent stuff though. Everything they have there is excellent. Their roasted hot peppers really vary though. Sometimes I can eat a whole one on a slice of crispy bread and some butter. Other times, I cut one in half, put both halves of the pepper back in the container, and wipe the knife on the bread; that is enough heat for me. I wish it was more predictable, because when you get it wrong - woweee!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • KiterTodd
    edited May 2014
    Options
    ....I was thinking of starting a new thread on how to make a perfect roast pork on the BGE for the authentic Philly sandwich.  There are a lot of crockpot and oven recipes online for recreating the Tony Luke sandwich, but no BGE links I could find.  Would have to be the right seasoning on the pork, and I suppose you can finish up by making the broccoli rabe in a cast iron skillet when the pork was done...and even toast the buns before final prep.

But if we started that thread I'd want to make it this weekend, and I have too much to do and not enough friends coming over to eat an entire roast pork.  :-O  
    But if folks are up for the challenge, I think it'd be a good thread.  :D

Recreating an authentic Philly roast pork sandwich on the BGE?   Hmmmm....
    LBGE/Maryland
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    ....I was thinking of starting a new thread on how to make a perfect roast pork on the BGE for the authentic Philly sandwich.  There are a lot of crockpot and oven recipes online for recreating the Tony Luke sandwich, but no BGE links I could find.  Would have to be the right seasoning on the pork, and I suppose you can finish up by making the broccoli rabe in a cast iron skillet when the pork was done...and even toast the buns before final prep.

But if we started that thread I'd want to make it this weekend, and I have too much to do and not enough friends coming over to eat an entire roast pork.  :-O  
    But if folks are up for the challenge, I think it'd be a good thread.  :D

Recreating an authentic Philly roast pork sandwich on the BGE?   Hmmmm....
    I had my first Roast Pork sandwich from John's Roast Pork three weeks ago.  Best sandwich.  Their cheesesteaks were also excellent.  I'd love to learn how to make that Roast Pork sandwich.  John's has spinach instead of broccoli rabe though.  Had to have the smoked provolone on it.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    The roast pork is basically Italian porchetta. The herbs vary; DiNic's doesn't use rosemary. Here's an oven recipe for it. This is a fantastic party dish: 

6 to 8 pound pork butt

FOR THE PORK:

½ cup lightly packed rosemary leaves

½ cup lightly packed sage leaves

cup olive oil

3 tbsp. fennel seeds, lightly crushed (optional)

2 ½ tbsp. coarsely ground black pepper

1 tbsp. crushed red chile flakes

14 cloves garlic

Process all the ingredients except the butt into a paste.

Make 1-inch deep slits all over the roast and stuff the herbs into them. Rub remaining paste on outside. Bake in 400 degrees for an hour. Flip roast. Bake another hour.

1 large onion

2 stalks celery

To the roasting pan, add two inches of water, one onion chunked and two celery stalks chunked. Cover tightly with foil. Turn oven down to 350 and cook 3 to 4 more hours. It’s done when you can stick a fork into it and it’s so tender it chunks.

Remove roast from the pan, and skim oil from drippings.

Let roast cool until you handle it. “Pull it,” dividing into chunks somewhat bite size or a little larger.

Put in a serving pan or back in the foil pan. Moisten with reserved drippings, making sure you get some of the black pepper in there. Refrigerate if serving the next day. Cover with foil and reheat at 350 for about an hour. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia