Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MN Bone Daddy Cookoff

Options
Is anybody here participating in the Bone Daddy cook off in Shakopee this weekend?  I have never been and wondering if it is an event that I can bring my family to.  I have two girls (age 2 and 4) and the love BGE.  Looking to see some cooking ideas and meet more eggheads in the area.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated
Lakeville, MN - LBGE (August 2013)

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I was planning to go. My daughter's birthday is Friday and as luck would have it, SWMBO has decided that Saturday from 11:00 to 3:00 is the perfect time to have a birthday party for her little school friends. I suggested we have them for breakfast instead...  ;)
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited April 2014
    Options
    This will be my second year in the competition. I know a couple other eggers that contribute on both egg forums will also be competing. The family is more than welcome to come check it out. They sell ribs a long with brats, hotdogs, chips, etc. for local programs. Last year they had an inflatable bounce house for kids. My team is Lex Luger. Stop on by and introduce yourself. More than welcome to hang out with us.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    I'll be cooking there too for my third time. Team name is Smoke Em If Ya Got Em. Please stop by and say hello. I usually bring extra stuff to cook and share with the teams. It's a great time and a very well organized event.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • MNice
    MNice Posts: 2
    Options
    Be nice to those demo eggs you're using!!  I'm picking one up Saturday!!!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @MNice - congrats on the new egg. I bought a demo egg from Dan last Fall - he's a great guy. 

@WeberWho - good luck to Team Lex Luger! How long does the cook go? Will there still be something going on at 3:00? That would be about as soon as I can make it.

@scooter759 - good luck to you guys too! 

If I can get there, I'll look all of you guys up. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @minniemoh‌

Team deadline for rib turn in is at 3 I believe. People will start to pack up after turn in but prizes won't be handed out until later. Think awards were handed out around 4 last year.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CheeseheadInMN
    Options
    I hope to see you all there. I hope the weather is decent, well at least dry.

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    Had a great time at the Bonedaddy on Saturday. Enjoyed seeing the returning teams and meeting some new ones. A special shout out and thank you to @WeberWho? for sharing some of your stash of Ozark Oak. Can't wait to try it. Enjoyed chatting with you and Kayla. Look forward to seeing everybody again next year.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I hope you like it. Very nice neutral flavor. Superior lump compared to anything we can get around here. I thought Wicked Good was good until I was introduced to Ozark Oak. Dump your old lump from the egg and start fresh with Ozark Oak. You will see the night and day difference with good lump.

I think we might try to hit up the Mankato competition in a few months. Maybe catch you at the comp if you're around

Minnesota
  • CheeseheadInMN
    Options
    I had a great time as a non-competitor and my family enjoyed it as well (mainly the bounce house).  It seems like a very well run event and I hope to try and participate in it next year.

It was great meeting you and chatting with you for a while.  I feel horrible, but I forgot the guys name that we were also chatting with from Iowa.  Could you tell me what his handle is again?  Thank you!  I really want to see a picture of what he uses as a rain cover that we were talking about.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options

@CheeseheadlnMN - here is a picture from last year that has the vent top that I was telling you about. Glad we didn't need it this year. It was nice meeting you and your family. I bought this at Lowes or Menards for like 10 to 15 bucks.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• WeberWho
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @CheeseheadInMN‌

Nice meeting you and your family. Ben is Brisket_Fanatic‌ from the forum and his teammate was his brother Adam. I'm not going to ruin anything if he decides to post here but let's just say he should be called Rib _Fanatic from here on out. :-$

* A few minutes late to the party. Just noticed Ben posted

Minnesota
  • CheeseheadInMN
    Options
    Thank you Ben! I will be looking for one of those. I have been trying to look to see who won so will either one of you let me in on who won, please?

• Brisket_Fanatic
    edited May 2014
    Options

@weberwho? said:
    @CheeseheadInMN‌ Nice meeting you and your family. Ben is Brisket_Fanatic‌ from the forum and his teammate was his brother Adam. I'm not going to ruin anything if he decides to post here but let's just say he should be called Rib _Fanatic from here on out. :-$ * A few minutes late to the party. Just noticed Ben posted
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. My cooking partner was actually my wifes cousin that lives across the river. Not sure I can change my handle yet but I am begining to believe in my recipe.

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

Team Bone Collectors won!image

NW IA

• CheeseheadInMN
    Options
    That is awesome! Congrats

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    That is awesome! Congrats
    Thanks!

NW IA

• WeberWho
    edited May 2014
    Options
    "Thanks for the vote of confidence. My cooking partner was actually my wifes cousin that lives across the river."

First I thought cousin, than brother, and now wifes cousin. I wonder what I'll make him next year. Did he live in Iowa at one point? That's maybe where I got all twisted up. I swear it wasn't the beer. :))

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

Congrats on the call Ben!  Not bad.....for an Iowa boy. ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @weberwho? said:
    "Thanks for the vote of confidence. My cooking partner was actually my wifes cousin that lives across the river." First I thought cousin, than brother, and now wifes cousin. I wonder what I'll make him next year. Did he live in Iowa at one point? That's maybe where I got all twisted up. I swear it wasn't the beer. :))
    He and I are from the same area of Iowa, except I grew up in town and he is a farm boy.

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Focker said:

Congrats on the call Ben.  Not bad.....for an Iowa boy. ;)
    Thanks...... I think!  :D

NW IA

• Focker
    edited May 2014
    Options

Adam is gonna love this!  He hates Iowans! Can I have permission to talk sh!t for you at Frozen Fest next year?  hahahahaha

Seriously bud, nice job bringing home the hardware. :)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Focker said:

Adam is gonna love this!  He hates Iowans! Can I have permission to talk sh!t for you at Frozen Fest next year?  hahahahaha

Seriously bud, nice job bringing home the hardware. :)

We can tag team him, he was at the competition and I think had a good time. 

NW IA

• Focker
    Options
    LOL, I can't wait!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• CheeseheadInMN
    Options

@CheeseheadlnMN - here is a picture from last year that has the vent top that I was telling you about. Glad we didn't need it this year. It was nice meeting you and your family. I bought this at Lowes or Menards for like 10 to 15 bucks.

Thank you Ben! I found one at Menards for $7 and will be using it for lunch today as the storms look to continue to come.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @CheeseheadInMN‌ Glad you found it and cheaper than I remember.

NW IA