Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is This Brisket Worth Cooking?

I have never tried to cook a brisket before, but I keep seeing all of these posts and wonderful looking pics of brisket so I want to give it a try. 

I just went to my local grocery store and all I can get is a flat. I don't know if it is quality enough to even give it a try. 

I am hoping some of your more experienced guys will be able to offer some advice. I can drive an hour one way and get higher quality, but this is IT here in my little town! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited May 2014
    I'm far from knowing what I'm doing with a brisket but that seems really small. I'm thinking it will dry out quick and best used in chili, stews, ground down and mixed into burgers, etc

Save the money and pick up a Sams/Costco membership if you have one near you. You can pick up a packer around that price range. That grocery store is dreaming for $10 lb.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    For that price/pound you could almost be in to a SRF Wagyu whole packer delivered.

And that is pretty much the same price/pound as Creekstone Prime, shipping is included in their price.

If I was going to drop $9.98/lb on a brisket, it would be one of the above. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    IMO, a whole brisket is the only way to go. The flats seem to dry out by themselves. 

$9.98/LB??? I just bought that 18LB whole brisket for 3.49/LB. 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Try Bi-Lo if you have one in Asheville, I live in Lenoir and get mine from Bi-Lo in Morganton or Sams in Hickory
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Holy $#it balls $9.98 #!!! I'd pass. +1 @DMW‌ on at that price might as well get a SRF brisky. Just my .02
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    The label says that it should be removed "before microwaving". I assume, however, that you're thinking of doing it on the egg?  :D

I'd suggest getting a larger flat or, better yet, a whole packer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks guys. We get screwed here on our prices. I usually pay around $12.98 per pound for ribeyes and they are NOT top notch. What are you guys paying per pound? 

One of the negatives of living in Po Dunk! 

@TexanOfTheNorth Yes I was going to cook it on my egg.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I was just at our Wal-Mart and they had whole packer Select grade brisket for $3.28/lb. If I remember correctly, a couple weeks ago I got a Choice packer from Restaurant Depot for $3.87/lb or so. If I was going to egg the flat in your picture, I would probably go Travis style.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Thanks guys. We get screwed here on our prices. I usually pay around $12.98 per pound for ribeyes and they are NOT top notch. What are you guys paying per pound? 

One of the negatives of living in Po Dunk! 

@TexanOfTheNorth Yes I was going to cook it on my egg.
    hey buddy-

The New York Butcher Shop in Greensboro sells whole packers for $6.99/pound Certified Angus Beef in the cryo.  Occasionally see them go to $5.99/lbs on sale - worth signing up for their emails.  They do tri-tip too, on sale right now $8.99/lbs also CAB....

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Damn, the last choice brisket I bought was 2.99/lb.
    NOLA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    DMW said:
    For that price/pound you could almost be in to a SRF Wagyu whole packer delivered.

And that is pretty much the same price/pound as Creekstone Prime, shipping is included in their price.

If I was going to drop $9.98/lb on a brisket, it would be one of the above. 

Really eh? Briskets are expensive here but never seen that for a flat. Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat are cheaper.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    They are really proud of the "Best Meat in Town".
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    We have a Ingles in my area I should check to see what the price is in my neck of the woods. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I like living in a small town except in times like this. I can see now I am getting ripped off even more than I thought based on the prices you guys are telling me about!

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I had no idea that markets would charge that much. I don't know where you live but there must be a better place.  Around here Packer briskets are around $4/pound. RIbeyes and NY Strips (whole ones) are about $7/pound. Tri Tip is $6-$7 per pound.  Tell us where you live and perhaps someone will have some suggestions.

By the way, our Costco does not sell packer briskets, but some of them do.

I get most of my meat at Restaurant Depot.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • johnkitchens
    I live in the tiny town of Louisville, GA. Population is around 3,000.  Our nearest "Big Town" (Sams, Costco, Etc) is Augusta, GA which is about 50 or miles away. 

• johnkitchens
    @Shiff I just looked, and I am 153 miles one way from my nearest Restaurant Depot : (

• NPHuskerFL
    @johnkitchens‌ that sucks :-( Do ya roll into Augusta often (work etc)? If so maybe bring a good cooler with ice packs and transport it home to save some $$$
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Wow I thought $4.99 for Angus was high. 9.99 with a Swift sticker? No thanks
    Seattle, WA
  • johnkitchens
    edited May 2014
    I go to Augusta infrequently. Maybe once a month or so. All we have over there is the Fresh Market, Sams, Costco, and of course a lot of regular grocery stores. 

Maybe it is time for me to get that Yeti cooler I have been wanting. 

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Price is very high. I am on the Wet Coast of Canada eh. I have only done a few briskets but I paid around $5 per pound. Do try doing it, we love it and the leftovers are,,,,,,, YUMMY. Try making a Philly Cheese style sandwich with the leftovers. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • NPHuskerFL
    Ya John it wouldn't be a bad idea. That way if you are there you could stock up so to speak. And if ya have a large deep freezer at home you'd be golden.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    @Shiff I just looked, and I am 153 miles one way from my nearest Restaurant Depot : (
    That's too bad.  Our nearest RD is about 50 miles and we get up that way about once/month and always come prepared with coolers and ice to bring home a load.  Plan your trips to Augusta and try to find a store that has the type of meat you want and load up.  You'll probably save enough on each trip to pay for the gas and also eat better.  Maybe there are some people on here from the Augusta area that can advise.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I got my most recent flat at BJ's for 3.69 or 3.99 a pound.  it was almost 8 pounds.  I would wait until you make your next trek.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • johnkitchens
    I am getting a new garage built and part of the plan will include a new deep freezer. I knew I was getting hammered on the price locally, but this is just robbery. 

I will be able to pay for the freezer very quickly at the savings I can get by buying in bulk and going somewhere else. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    No butchers? I feel bad for you bro. That's robbery
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• johnkitchens
    Nope no butchers. Not anymore. We had a really nice mom and pop place that had been open forever. It was really old school, and I loved it.

The owner passed away and now the old shop is a bookstore. Books be damned! I want meat, and I want it cheap!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Not at that price. I paid $3.99 for 15.7 lb choice packer and it was very good. I would check Walmart, Sams or Costco. I got mine at Price Chopper in KC, Mo.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    I just got my packer from my local butcher for 3.49 lb, deals are out there, just go to know where to find them! It helps to have friends who know and sell meat though!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    I keep seeing all this talk about grades of meat, ie. select, choice, and prime. I'm in the same boat with @johnkitchens‌ with only one grocery store and its not a big name chain. I only can get "choice" meat due to only having one "choice", what they have.