Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs without the foil wrap?

Options
2»

Comments

• Beach
    Beach Posts: 7
    Options
    Your ribs look great!!!!! I did ribs my first cook, Turbo ribs, no foil, no spritz! About two hours between 325 & 350, ribs came out great! I think removing the membrane was the best thing I did. It was actually said by my "tasters" removing the membrane was the best thing you did!
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    Looks great. After a few years of different methods, I have settled on ~225-250 for about 5 hours, no foil, empty drip pan. I'm not yet sold on turbo, but only did it twice.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Phred
    Phred Posts: 16
    edited May 2014
    Options
    So one day at work I was expounding upon the virtues of my BGE in the break room.  An electrician walks in and says "I've got one and if you put a switch plate on it it will come out moist and tender."  Amen  PS.  Just served some ribs which I slow cooked at 200 for eight hours.  They were so rich and without an ounce of fat.  Folks were crawling on the floor begging for more.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Nicely done. Any update on the yard chores?  ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Am i missing out on a new Technique? Please some tell me what is turbo cooking?
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Nicely done. Any update on the yard chores?  ;)
    Chores?  ...looks like they'll take longer than the ribs.  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great looking ribs!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
      I tried hard to find a corner of membrane to pull on this set of Costco ribs, but it looks like it has already been removed.   Any chance processing plants are starting to do this as part of their trim?

Maybe it is new found hot dog ingredient?

Gerhard
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I heard Costco removes the membrane.  Sam's does not.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Rebelst8
    Rebelst8 Posts: 36
    Options
    Here is how I can do up to 7 full racks on a large at one time. If I only have 4, I'll use the AR. 

Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Rebelst8 said:
    Here is how I can do up to 7 full racks on a large at one time. If I only have 4, I'll use the AR. 

Okay, thanks.  Both good options. 
    From reading that thread it sounds like people work a pizza stone into that setup to avoid any scorching from the three crescent gaps in the place setter. 
    Is that true or by the time you are smoking 6+ racks do you just deal with a little charring on the ribs which may directly see some glow?

In the setup I used (6 1/2 racks, pictured above) I was able to angle the rack so nobody was exposed.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited May 2014
    Options

From reading that thread it sounds like people work a pizza stone into that setup to avoid any scorching from the three crescent gaps in the place setter. 
    Is that true or by the time you are smoking 6+ racks do you just deal with a little charring on the ribs which may directly see some glow?

In the setup I used (6 1/2 racks, pictured above) I was able to angle the rack so nobody was exposed.
    I cover the areas of the grill with foil that are directly above the plate setter openings it keeps the ribs from charing. 

Gerhard