Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr. BBQ Backyard Championship Ribs Cooking Time

Options
Rib-Rob
Rib-Rob Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought the Big-Time BBQ Cookbook and am trying the ribs. Total cooking time in the book is a little under 3 hours. I normally have to do spares 5-6 hours. Am I missing something? TIA.

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Rib-Rob,
    The Big Time Championship recipe calls for 3 hours, then another 1.5 hours in foil. I've tried the "Backyard" recipe as well but the championship version is extra special.

• Rib-Rob
    Options
    egret,
    I just looked at the "championship" recipe, and I see that that one is done at 275 degrees, which could account for the increase in cooking time. I'll try that one next. Now, I just have to rescue the backyard ribs. Did you follow the cooking times in the original backyard recipe?

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Rib-Rob,[p]I just looked at that recipe and it says this recipe is for grills that can't keep a low 275 temp, like gas grills. It also says three different times that you'll need to adjust the time for your grill. If you want to cook at 325 hot and semi direct like a gasser, you can probably do them in the three hours.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Rib-Rob
    Options
    drbbq,
    Well, I guess the confusion was on my part. I read the "prepare your cooker for indirect grilling at about 325°", and I did. I thought I had a "smaller smoker" as mentioned in the preface to the recipe. Indirect is indirect, and 325 is 325, I incorrectly assumed. Lesson learned. Thanks for your response. By the way the sauces in the recipe are absolutely "Aces".

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Rib-Rob,
    I follow the "Championsip" recipe to the letter with the exception of adjusting the dome temp. to 250 degrees, grid temp. at about 225-235. Also, I place the ribs meat-side up during the foil stage because I feel some of the rub and flavor goes into the solution and is lost if the meaty-side is immersed in the apple juice solution. I served these last week to some long-time eggers and they claimed these to be the best ribs they had ever eaten!
    "Nuff said.......

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Rib-Rob,[p]The main point is that they're done when they're done. I try to make that clear in all my recipes. You just can't time this stuff. If you use a plate setter and keep your egg at 325, thay may get done in three hours. Use the toothpick test I describe and then you'll know when they're done.
    Glad you like the sauces. Thanks.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ