Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First couple pizza cooks- getting the hang of it! *pics

Options
Man! Love the brick oven flavor the egg adds to pizza! My first two I learned on. Looked perfect on the counter, but hard to get on the peel, then egg without smoothing them up. Got parchment paper for last night- easy!
Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Definitely made progress. Nice job. I have a long way to go on Pizza.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Put some corn meal on the peel it will slide right off.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Cornmeal, or I just use flour. Give the peel a couple quick shakes on the way to the egg, don't open the egg unless the pie is free from the peel. Getting ready to do some now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice looking pizzas! Much better than my first ones.

I'm not a fan of parchment. Can never get the crust right, even when I pull it out after a couple of minutes. Peel for me, no question. As for what to put ON the peel, flour doesn't always work well, corn meal works, but is overly gritty. Semolina, on the other hand, is perfect! Like ball bearings, even with just a small amount. Here's all I ever put on the peel before adding the pie. Shake it after adding each ingredient. Haven't had one stick yet! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Your first  pies look better than my first 10 pies. I just kept trying and they got a little better each time thanks to the people on here!
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Thanks! I tried corn meal - kinda worked if I made the pie on the peel. Counter to peel not so much. Semolina I might try! BTW, the crust was nice and crispy with the parchment. I guess like brisket it can be different every time.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I always build the pie on the peel. Shape the dough on the counter (breadboard, actually... marble slab would be better) and then onto the peel where I add the toppings.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Build you pie on parchment paper..cook 2 minutes on paper, slide paper out. Always good!!
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Also, make sure to lightly oil your stone.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Tried that with parchment a couple of times. Not happy with it. Two strikes and you're out. Haven't tried it since. :) Never heard of oiling the stone. Not that it's bad, just that I've never heard of it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Those are some nice looking pies whether they are your first or your 100th. I am not ashamed, I use parchment all the time and love the results. I purchased 500 13" pre cut parchment rounds on line. The quality of parchment is IMO higher than what I was purchasing at the market and it is much thinner as well. I build on the parchment, transfer to the peel, and then to the stone. I pull the parchment after 4 minutes. My cooks using the AR and extender and two stones one high and one low with air space in between take about 8 minutes at 550. 
  • Tylerd76
    Tylerd76 Posts: 43
    Options
    Those pizza's look amazing, great combo of toppings!
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  • Cookbook_Chip
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Ah! Pull the parchment- great idea! @CarolinaQ where in CT are you?
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    ffffff that looks good!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    ...@CarolinaQ where in CT are you?
    'Bout 15 miles east of Hartford. Where are you? Sig line says Richmond? That's 50 miles from Fredericksburg where I grew up, but it's a hike from here. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    To me the egg adds a little smoke not much else. Oven for me 80% of the time, egg to be outside and change it up.
    Seattle, WA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great looking pies. What is on the crust, if I t might ask? Sesame seeds?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    @Griffin - yep!  Toasted garlic sesame seeds.  It started out going to be a veggie pie, but my wife says "hey, here's some pepperoni - add that.  Oh, and do some bacon!  And, how about these sesame seeds?"  So it had a lot going on!

@CarolinaQ - I am in Richmond, but am from Wethersfield (just south of Hartford)