Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Different tandoori

Whole Foods didn't have any Aurora Creations Tandoori mix, so I bought a jar of Patak's Tikka sauce and a jar of Frontier Tandoori Masala seasoning.  Mixed one cup of yogurt, 4tsp masala powder, 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, and the juice from a whole lime along with a few tablespoons of the Tikka sauce.  Marinated 5 leg/thigh skinless chicken pieces overnight.  Got the BGE up to 500, and on they went (raised indirect, PS legs up, woo2, ).  Midway through I let the temperature climb to 550.   About 40 minutes later chicken hit 165, and I ate.  Great.  No smoke chips added this time.  Subtle spice flavor, very moist, lime flavor refreshing.  Shared some with the cats, they are now taking a nap.  I had some wine with the dine so a nap for me too.
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• grege345grege345 Posts: 1,702
    Bookmarked
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 5,363
    Excellent! How did the rice wine vinegar help? As a tenderizer?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dave_MatthewsDave_Matthews Posts: 195
    caliking said:
    Excellent! How did the rice wine vinegar help? As a tenderizer?
    Actually I was just following the instructions on the Tandoori Masala Seasoning jar.  I decided to try the rice wine vinegar rather than the generic 'vinegar' in the instructions to see if I could tell a difference.  I think it made the taste a bit sweeter.  Your question caused me to do a bit of research, and read that the citrus and the vinegar do help to tenderize the meat.  Too much will cause the meat to become overcooked, tough and stringy.. or mushy.. depending.  The advice I guess is to keep the marinade time relatively short. An overnight marinade has always worked for me.  While doing the research that you prompted (thanks!) I discovered all kinds of new techniques and ideas.  This is gonna be a lot of fun!  Also, since the BGE is so excellent at keeping moisture in the meat, I think I will try a tandoori chicken cook at 600 degrees (f) next.  Soon I hope.  Namaste, Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR