Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different tandoori

Options
Whole Foods didn't have any Aurora Creations Tandoori mix, so I bought a jar of Patak's Tikka sauce and a jar of Frontier Tandoori Masala seasoning.  Mixed one cup of yogurt, 4tsp masala powder, 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, and the juice from a whole lime along with a few tablespoons of the Tikka sauce.  Marinated 5 leg/thigh skinless chicken pieces overnight.  Got the BGE up to 500, and on they went (raised indirect, PS legs up, woo2, ).  Midway through I let the temperature climb to 550.   About 40 minutes later chicken hit 165, and I ate.  Great.  No smoke chips added this time.  Subtle spice flavor, very moist, lime flavor refreshing.  Shared some with the cats, they are now taking a nap.  I had some wine with the dine so a nap for me too.
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Bookmarked
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Excellent! How did the rice wine vinegar help? As a tenderizer?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dave_Matthews
    Dave_Matthews Posts: 204
    Options
    caliking said:
    Excellent! How did the rice wine vinegar help? As a tenderizer?
    Actually I was just following the instructions on the Tandoori Masala Seasoning jar.  I decided to try the rice wine vinegar rather than the generic 'vinegar' in the instructions to see if I could tell a difference.  I think it made the taste a bit sweeter.  Your question caused me to do a bit of research, and read that the citrus and the vinegar do help to tenderize the meat.  Too much will cause the meat to become overcooked, tough and stringy.. or mushy.. depending.  The advice I guess is to keep the marinade time relatively short. An overnight marinade has always worked for me.  While doing the research that you prompted (thanks!) I discovered all kinds of new techniques and ideas.  This is gonna be a lot of fun!  Also, since the BGE is so excellent at keeping moisture in the meat, I think I will try a tandoori chicken cook at 600 degrees (f) next.  Soon I hope.  Namaste, Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR