Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT First all grain:)

Options
2»

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Done gravity 1.050 which is perfect!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    Nice. Was it ex or what?
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    BREWnQ said:

Nice. Was it ex or what?

No it was all grain no extract... First time brewing anything.

• BREWnQ
    Options
    Damn auto correct. I meant EZ.
    Orange, CA
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    BREWnQ said:

Damn auto correct. I meant EZ.

It wasn't that bad... The process is fairly easy but all the sanitizing is time consuming and tedious.Once I get a routine down it'll go faster. Now the hard part of waiting for it to ferment,

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    Big surprise this morning....it was bubbling away with a big krausen head in less than 12 hrs.I figured it would be at least 24 hrs before I saw that!

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Nope Nottingham will go fast. What temp are you at? Remember that the beer makes heat when it ferments so it will be hotter than the ambient temp. I'd want that fermenting between 65 and 68 F. If it gets too warm you can get some off flavours. Easiest way to keep it cooler is to wrap it in a wet towel. You may want to wrap it anyway so it doesn't get light struck while its fermenting. Plan on your next ne right away because this one will go so fast you won't believe it. Great to hear it went well. Lots of people ask me if they can make beer with me and once they see that 90 % of making beer is washing stuff, they start to find it less fun. :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    Well the top just blew off in my face and I had to put on a blow off tube....man it is fermenting like crazy!! As for the temp it is like 72 in my kitchen upstairs so I moved the carboy too the basement where the temp is about 65 or so and alot darker too:)

I figured id let it go two weeks in the fermenter then bottle for a week or two.

• gmac
    Options
    If you have a fridge big enough to put it in when its done fermenting, it can really help clear the yeast. It's called Cold Crashing and it helps the yeast flocculate. English yeasts are usually good flocculators anyway but if you can cold crash it for a couple days prior to bottling it will help get it clearer. There will still be more than enough yeast left in the beer to bottle condition.
  • BREWnQ
    Options
    When I've cold crashed it usually takes 3 weeks or more to carb up in the bottle not the usual 2 weeks
    Orange, CA
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    I did use some irish moss in the last 15 min of the boil do you think cold crashing is still necessary?

• BREWnQ
    Options
    Not necessary at all but yes will clear your beer more then Irish moss alone.
    Orange, CA
  • 0EggMan0
    0EggMan0 Posts: 17
    edited May 2014
    Options
  • gmac
    Options
    Irish moss coagulates proteins out of the wort, cold crashing drops the yeast.  Not necessary but helpful.  Of course since you are bottle conditioning, shaking the bottle will make it hazy anyway so it may not be worth the effort.  I keg everything now.  

When I bottled I found that the storage temp made the most impact on carbonation time (no reason to carbonate cold, room temps are fine because the majority of the fermentation is finished so warm doesn't impact things as much).
  • 0EggMan0
    0EggMan0 Posts: 17
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Congrats on your first all grain! It's hard to argue that there's a greater accomplishment than to go from grain to glass. I started brewing beer first, roasting coffee second and now I slow smoke meats. The once hobby has turned into an all out obsession on many levels. Pictured is an all grain Belgian style pale ale with a Carolina style pork butt smoking on the egg. Cheers!
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Congrats on the AG brew! like someone said keep it cold and clean! Where did you order the kit from? And for gods sake get a keg kit, bottling is a huge PITA! I hated waiting 2-4 weeks for a brew to be carbed up, kegging once the beer is done ferment ion and a. Little conditioning in the keg and drinkable that night.
    HFX NS
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    0EggMan0 said:

Congrats on your first all grain! It's hard to argue that there's a greater accomplishment than to go from grain to glass. I started brewing beer first, roasting coffee second and now I slow smoke meats. The once hobby has turned into an all out obsession on many levels. Pictured is an all grain Belgian style pale ale with a Carolina style pork butt smoking on the egg. Cheers!

Great pic bud !!! Eggin and beer what goes together more.that beer looks awesome!

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    Nsdexter said:

Congrats on the AG brew! like someone said keep it cold and clean! Where did you order the kit from? And for gods sake get a keg kit, bottling is a huge PITA! I hated waiting 2-4 weeks for a brew to be carbed up, kegging once the beer is done ferment ion and a. Little conditioning in the keg and drinkable that night.

Thanks.... Was thinking about kegs but I need a break from spending right now or the wife will divorce me ...lol.

Once the heat dies down kegs is the plan;)

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    Suppers almost ready ... BBQ chicken

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks great and congrats on your first brew. You need to get a pipeline going so you will always have homebrew on hand and ready to drink. Right now I've got a dark ale, a bourbon barrel porter and an Irish Red all ready to drink. Need to get started on another batch this weekend as the dark ale is almost gone and I really want to hold the porter longer to let it age and mellow more.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    Griffin said:

Looks great and congrats on your first brew. You need to get a pipeline going so you will always have homebrew on hand and ready to drink. Right now I've got a dark ale, a bourbon barrel porter and an Irish Red all ready to drink. Need to get started on another batch this weekend as the dark ale is almost gone and I really want to hold the porter longer to let it age and mellow more.

Thanks griffin:) I'm a little peeved now as I have since learned I may have fermented too warm and I may have to scrap this batch we'll see:(

Appearently nottinghamham yeast likes 60ish temps and I was low 70's at first till I moved to the basement.

• gmac
    Options
    Thanks griffin:) I'm a little peeved now as I have since learned I may have fermented too warm and I may have to scrap this batch we'll see:( Appearently nottinghamham yeast likes 60ish temps and I was low 70's at first till I moved to the basement.

Seriously. Don't sweat the temps at all. It may be a bit fruity but you've got tonnes of hops in there and some fruit esters is fine in that type of beer. You weren't likely high enough to make fusels or other hot alcohols. It will be fine. Don't get yourself doubting your beer before you even try it. I bet it will still be awesome. Just remember this for the next one and get brewing.