Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

N.Y. strip, caveman style.

After the eggfest last week, I got curious to do a steak caveman style. Mine was an inch thick prime N.Y. strip. I wanted a leaner cut than a prime rib eye to avoid a complete fire.

Man, it cooked quick - 3 minutes a side and it was medium. I buttered right of the fire to break up any char.

Very good flavor, unique texture that is different from a reverse sear. Salty fo sho.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    imageimageimageimage
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I'm not big on sides, as you can tell. Drives swmbo nuts. This was actually yesterday's cook.. today was wings and chicken abts.

Tomorrow, celebrating cinco de mayo, someday I'll get a good record of that cook. Arrachara(sp? ). It's the best thing we do..

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Great idea...I like it!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    I have never thought of doing a steak that way...I won't let the wife see that pic as she will say I have bought to many grids and things.. Looks great..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Nice, I haven't managed to try that yet.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829

Great cook. 

They do go fast.  I usually do 2 minutes a side for my wife for filets that are the same thickness and it comes out to the rare side of medium-rare.  I go a little longer on my own steak to make it medium. 

They go especially fast when done in an egg because the ceramic holds the heat above them and they are cooking on all sides.  I've cavemanned (is it s verb?) in a variety of vessels (home firepit, campground firepit, wheelbarrow, XL BGE, Weber kettle, ProQ smoker) and the surrounding temperature can significantly affect cooking time.  For example, on a 35 degree night with the charcoal on the ground at a campsite, the steaks take 2 or 3 times as long to cook because the coals are not as hot (poor airflow from below) and the surrounding air is near freezing.   But, the steaks still taste great. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Foghorn... don't hear of many cases like your's where the wife prefers her meat less "cooked" than her husband. She sounds like a real "keeper".  ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @Foghorn... don't hear of many cases like your's where the wife prefers her meat less "cooked" than her husband. She sounds like a real "keeper".  ;)

Her dad was an MIT grad who had a subscription to Bon Appetit.  I grew up in a family where it was hard to tell the grilled meat from the briquettes that were used to cook it.  I've worked my way down the doneness scale over the years. 

And after 20+ years of marriage I'm definitely keeping her.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX