Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

N.Y. strip, caveman style.

After the eggfest last week, I got curious to do a steak caveman style. Mine was an inch thick prime N.Y. strip. I wanted a leaner cut than a prime rib eye to avoid a complete fire.

Man, it cooked quick - 3 minutes a side and it was medium. I buttered right of the fire to break up any char.

Very good flavor, unique texture that is different from a reverse sear. Salty fo sho.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 850
    imageimageimageimage
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 850
    I'm not big on sides, as you can tell. Drives swmbo nuts. This was actually yesterday's cook.. today was wings and chicken abts.

Tomorrow, celebrating cinco de mayo, someday I'll get a good record of that cook. Arrachara(sp? ). It's the best thing we do..

• chashanschashans Posts: 409
    Great idea...I like it!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 1,065
    I have never thought of doing a steak that way...I won't let the wife see that pic as she will say I have bought to many grids and things.. Looks great..
    Greensboro North Carolina
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 852
    Nice, I haven't managed to try that yet.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 1,792

Great cook. 

They do go fast.  I usually do 2 minutes a side for my wife for filets that are the same thickness and it comes out to the rare side of medium-rare.  I go a little longer on my own steak to make it medium. 

They go especially fast when done in an egg because the ceramic holds the heat above them and they are cooking on all sides.  I've cavemanned (is it s verb?) in a variety of vessels (home firepit, campground firepit, wheelbarrow, XL BGE, Weber kettle, ProQ smoker) and the surrounding temperature can significantly affect cooking time.  For example, on a 35 degree night with the charcoal on the ground at a campsite, the steaks take 2 or 3 times as long to cook because the coals are not as hot (poor airflow from below) and the surrounding air is near freezing.   But, the steaks still taste great. 

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    @Foghorn... don't hear of many cases like your's where the wife prefers her meat less "cooked" than her husband. She sounds like a real "keeper".  ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Her dad was an MIT grad who had a subscription to Bon Appetit.  I grew up in a family where it was hard to tell the grilled meat from the briquettes that were used to cook it.  I've worked my way down the doneness scale over the years. 

And after 20+ years of marriage I'm definitely keeping her.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX