Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken Disappointment (Pics)

Options
GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first experience with a Turducken was a big disappoinment. Mrs. GrillMeister purchased a Tony Chachere's Creole Style Tur-Duc-Hen stuffed with CornBread & Pork Rice Dressing at HEB and we were stoked.[p]
turdressing.gif[p]When I sliced it down the middle, I was expecting to see layers of bird and stuffing in between. Instead, I found a small turkey with loads of cornbread and dirty rice crammed in it.[p]Turducken2.jpg[p]
So, I made another slice farther to one side. and finally found some dark duck meat and perhaps some chicken shoved way back in the cavity. So much for layers of bird with scrumptious stuffing inbetween.[p]Turducken3.jpg[p]
There was so much cornbread and rice, it was hard looking for the meat. The cornbread stuffing was so dense (from so much being packed in) that it could have been classified as a lethal weapon in the hands of Chubby.[p]Here's a shot of half Tony Chachere's Tur-Duc-Hen which I would call Tony's Turkey crammed with bland stuffing.[p]Turducken1.jpg[p]I'm sure Turduckens are not supposed to be this way. I've seen pics of the layers and read about the raves of this meat bomb, but this sucker exploded with deadly cornbread and rice. Normally, I would chaulk it up to a learning experience, but when you drop 50 bucks on a meat bomb and this is what you get, I'm a bit peeved.[p]On a positive note, the turkey meat was moist and had a slight smoke taste from the wicked good. That was tastey.[p]Has anyone else experienced this or are turduckens really supposed to have layers of meat and "SOME" stuffing in between?[p]Next year it's Mad Maxx's Turkey or Bust![p]Now, it's time for a Brisket.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
Austin, TX[p]Hook'em Horns[p][p][p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning GrillMeister:[p]I did one last year (click on link below) and it was very good. Unfortunately I don't have pictures as I didn't have the digital camera then, but I don't recall it being "overstuffed" with dressing. Each of the three meats was noticeable in just about every slice. If I remember correctly I first sliced it in half lengthwise, then cut slices from each half. HTH[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]Turducken Success?[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• GrillMeister
    Options
    SSN686,[p]Yep, I sliced it the same way and most of the folks got only turkey and stuffing.[p]I guess it could be the brand or maybe just a bad turducken.[p]Oh well, nothing a good brisket can't cure. :)

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    GrillMeister, Any more rice and fillers and it could be called "Tony's Veggie Bird". He should stick to cajun spice but even that is not one of my favorites.

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Charbon,[p]I agree. I should have ordered one from a specialty shop.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Yo GrillMeister, Fifty bucks? For that much I'd send a complaint to Tony and along with the photographs. Depending on how you word your e-mail, you might get a voucher for the price of the bird. :-)[p]Lager,[p]Juggy

[ul][li]Tony's[/ul]
  • Luvmyegg
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]I ordered a turducken once from Cajungrocer.com. Cooked it on the egg according to directions and it was just awful. Actually, it was not the whole turducken which fed about 50 people, but a roast for about 10. The outside turkey was okay, but the interior meat didn't taste very good. I spoke to the guy there, and he was very surprised. Said it was one of their top sellers. Someday hope to try a homemade one, but am off this dish for now.
    Barbara

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,[p]I actually took what was on the big platter along with these pictures back to HEB this morning and they gave me a gift card back for what my wife paid for it. They thanked me for the pictures, cause they want to show them to their vendor.[p]HEB has great customer service.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Good for you, GrillMeister! Since you have been reimbursed by HEB, now you can really tell Tony how you feel about "his" product. :-)[p]Lager,[p]Juggy

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,[p]Thanks. I'm sure HEB will let the vendor know. I think I'll drop him an email. Thanks for the address.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    luvmyegg,[p]I had 10 people and most did not want much after I cut it open. If it was mostly meat as I expected, it could have fed 20 folks, but as it was it would have only fed 10 as well.[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas