Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here comes the hate

Options

Comments

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i think it's fine to ask any type of question when searching for grills, smokers etc.....like it was mentioned above, if the topic has no interest for you then simply move on and dont post.

I have an XL egg, I'm having a XL cooking station/island shipped to me next week that cost nearly 3x what the freaking egg did.......with the egg, the station and my accessories I have invested over 5k in the Egg way of life......BUT with that said, I also have 2 gas grills....one regular and on infared..so it's all good.....my buddy has an offset stick burner, a medium egg and a gas grill.  that's all good too.

i have learned a ton over the past year on this site and I think it's wonderful to have so many people willing to help each other......I for one am not going to try to run people off from here because they want to use another type grill or if they want to supplement their cooking expeirence with different types of grills.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I joked with the "No soup for you", but who cares what rig HE uses? It's all about what ends up on the plate. That's why that photo is the money shot. Que on brother!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    FYI, I think they only ship parts if you are international.  If you are in the states, their warranty states you have to go through the dealer as well. 

Do you have a KJ dealer close to you?  If the closest egg dealer is 2 hours away then I think that is a valid concern.  I sure as hell don't want to drive 4 hours if I need a part or to deal with a warranty issue.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    FYI, I think they only ship parts if you are international.  If you are in the states, their warranty states you have to go through the dealer as well. 

Do you have a KJ dealer close to you?  If the closest egg dealer is 2 hours away then I think that is a valid concern.  I sure as hell don't want to drive 4 hours if I need a part or to deal with a warranty issue.  
    Driving four hours for me would be a lot cheaper than having to pay for the shipping for ceramic parts. 

"This warranty does not apply to labor, freight, or any other cost associated with the service, repair or operation of the grill."
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Driving four hours for me would be a lot cheaper than having to pay for the shipping for ceramic parts. 

"This warranty does not apply to labor, freight, or any other cost associated with the service, repair or operation of the grill."
    That's a good point.  I'm assuming you just have to go through the dealer.  It may be the exact situation as the warranty claim process for BGE.   If you wait for a shipment they will put it on the truck, if you want it "now" someone has to pay the freight.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    True. I just checked and there are 2 KJ dealers within 50 miles of me. 8 BGE dealers, 5 closer than either KJ dealer. Saturation wins again. 
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Yeah I see that now but im looking at same issue with dealers for here. I was told by the KJ office, they will drop ship if a warranty must be met. Oh well. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    I took some time looking at both KJ and BGE about 2 years ago when I started down this road of Q. I ended up with BGE. Like everyone said, it's the people and forum that draws me in and I never regretted that decision. Plus, somehow, in my area, KJ and BGE is not much different price-wise.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    However, if you decide to go with KJ, we'll support you. Someone has to fund the company to keep it going and come up with more innovative things to challenge the BGE. We probably wouldn't have mini-max coming out if not for KJ Joe Jr  :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    True. I just checked and there are 2 KJ dealers within 50 miles of me. 8 BGE dealers, 5 closer than either KJ dealer. Saturation wins again. 
    Interesting to find out if you bought a KJ at ACE Hardware, will they ship warranty parts to the local store? Only one I've talked to is in Blaine Washington, they indicated they can get any grill in less than one week, including repair and warranty parts. No idea if they can deliver. ACE has a big distribution network with stock arriving 2 or 3 times a week. Not sure if you looked at ACE in the KJ dealer list. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Interesting to find out if you bought a KJ at ACE Hardware, will they ship warranty parts to the local store? Only one I've talked to is in Blaine Washington, they indicated they can get any grill in less than one week, including repair and warranty parts. No idea if they can deliver. ACE has a big distribution network with stock arriving 2 or 3 times a week. Not sure if you looked at ACE in the KJ dealer list. 

No Ace places popped up on the Zip code search. One of the better Egg dealers in the area is an Ace Hardware. I would never ask about KJ because I will never buy one. 
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    plumbfir01,

I don't know what to tell you other than I think you will be pleased with whatever you get. I was in the same predicament not too long ago and decided to go KomodoKamado as my second tool and have not looked back.

I now have a perfect combination for my household/entertainment needs.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    nolan8v said:

plumbfir01,

I don't know what to tell you other than I think you will be pleased with whatever you get. I was in the same predicament not too long ago and decided to go KomodoKamado as my second tool and have not looked back.

I now have a perfect combination for my household/entertainment needs.
    You're the man! Post pics of that Cadillac!
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    holy cow, which one did you get? I dreamed about one awhile ago but slowly let it leave my mind. Now you brought it up. the wife might kill me yet
    Beaufort, SC
  • nolan8v
    Options
    Let me try to post a snapshot of them together. Stand by.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I don't have time to care if the man buys a KJ vs a Big Green Egg. They are just about identical. I looked long and hard at the Primo XL before buying the egg. In the end, the egg won because it had more accessories. I liked that primo was made in the US where Big Green Egg is made I Mexico and KJ is manufactured overseas.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolan8v
    Options
    I'm trying to upload a photo that is less than 1Mb in size but it is taking a long time to upload.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Chris Rose 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    nolan8v said:

I'm trying to upload a photo that is less than 1Mb in size but it is taking a long time to upload.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Try to attach it again. This happens to me from time to time on mobile.
  • nolan8v
    Options
    I've been trying to upload the photo (it is a .jpg). However, it seems to get stuck with the "Uploading" message at the bottom.
    Chris Rose 

• plumbfir01
    Options
    email? plumbfire01@gmail.com
    Beaufort, SC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Get what you trust and know. That said you already know you love the BGE. Not hating whatsoever but, to me even though they are both similar style cookers they are still an apple vs an orange. What's your plan @plumbfir01‌?image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolan8v
    Options
    plumbfir01,

Email sent. Subject is KK32 & BGE Lg

Thanks
    Chris Rose 

• plumbfir01
    Options
    @nolan8v you sure have a beautiful rig 
    Beaufort, SC
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @nolan8v‌ Wow, that KK looks really impressive next to the LBGE. SWMBO would surely serve me papers if a crate from Indonesia showed up. Nice.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolan8v
    Options
    What was I doing wrong with trying to post the photo?

I clicked the "Attach a file" link below, then selected the photo, then it would start scrolling the message "Uploading" indefinitely.

Thanks again!

P.S.: The Green Egg is a large but it looks like a small next to the KK Big Bad 32 (official name).

I've had my large egg since 99 (or 98) and just replaced the original gasket. 
    Chris Rose 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I need me a KK. I wish I had the space.
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Space....wish i had the cash and the understanding SWMBO. lol
    Beaufort, SC
  • nolan8v
    Options
    @DMW,

We were visiting Nusa Penida and saw a KK 23 in use and also met Dennis Linkletter (KomodoKamado owner). While discussing the KK 23, he informed us that the Big Bad 32 was coming to the states. Since we could not purchase the XXL at the time, we decided to get the 32.

So far, we are enjoying every aspect of the KK and have no issues.  It is truly an over-engineered tool that we are glad we invested in.

Chris Rose 

• Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Options
    cazzy said:
    mrdnks said:
    I am not sure why you are on an EGG forum asking about other brands?
    Why dont you go to their forum and ask questions.
    If this offends you, oh well. Bye bye

Well, I have an egg and I consider it my right to post here.

BUT, my next ceramic cooker will not be an egg. The whole fiasco of shipping defective gasket -even after they knew the problem- was a such big turn off for me I lost my respect for this company.

And the OP is right about lack of innovation. They have this great community going for them and the brand name. But that's about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- The KJ is a carbon copy of the egg, so who is lacking innovation? They have a lot going for them besides the community. Sure, it would have been great to have a better gasket, but did they not make it right? Did they not fix the issue on the egg? You lost respect of a company for something they fixed for you and for future customers? I installed a Rutland when my non-nomex "defective" gasket fried after a year when I did a pizza cook.

Did I say I am going to buy a KJ?

Also, when I bought my egg I burned my gasket on third cook. I came to this forum and found out that the issue has been known for at least a couple of years if not more. I am not sure what you are blabbering about when you say they fixed it. why wasn't this fixed when I bought mine??

Drink the coolaid all you want. You know, it really gets me how religious people get on this forum about BGE. Go to -any- other forum of users of a product and you will see many posts on complains people have about the said product. Here in this forum it is not kosher to complain about how badly BGE is handling something. Are you paid by them to defend them or something?

And what the hell about moving this to OT?? I think they don't want negative impressions to be on the first page.

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    edited May 2014
    Options
    All the kamado companies are based in Atlanta. Bge kamado joe grill dome and primo. . All of them worked at bge and left to start their versions. More or less they are all the same. Buy what you want post where you will there are not internet police and you are the one that has to decide what is best for you.

LBGE Atlanta, GA