Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on Wild Turkey

My neighbor brought me a wild turkey he just shot and asked if I would cook on my egg. He's already cleaned it, and I have two breasts, two thighs and two legs. I know these are leaner than store bought so I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    As shots, neat, or on the rocks. I like it on the rocks myself. Oh, wait, wrong Wild Turkey...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

Rule of thumb, when lean, apply bacon.
    NOLA
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    I cooked a wild turkey once and yes it is much leaner. I would probably brine them to add moisture and give them a good deep seasoning.  Beyond that, smoke it with something light - apple or pecan??  And I go indirect at 350 for _____ ?  Sounds like they are separate pieces? If so you can monitor temp for each, and pull them accordingly at 160-165˚.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    buzd504 said:

Rule of thumb, when lean, apply bacon.
    Or submerge in very deep fat and fry at 350 degrees until done.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited May 2014
    I cooked a wild turkey on my smoker one time, It didn't turn out too good. But I don't like the taste of wild anything except rice. Anyhow we wrapped it in bacon and tried to smoke it. My friend thought it was good but I didnt care for it.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    I cooked a wild turkey once and yes it is much leaner. I would probably brine them to add moisture and give them a good deep seasoning.  Beyond that, smoke it with something light - apple or pecan??  And I go indirect at 350 for _____ ?  Sounds like they are separate pieces? If so you can monitor temp for each, and pull them accordingly at 160-165˚.

As CC said, Brine it. I did one years ago on my water smoker. I brined it and  smoked it with cherry. It was fabulous.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Polished off the last 3-4 fingers of a bottle in the last hurricane we had, that was some ride. 

Lean wild meat. No experience except a few wild hogs in pre-Eggin' days. But you have an Egg so you can try stuff like this. 

I would try; leave skin on, of course. Brine. Inject. And smoke it around 250F with something like pecan until reaching desired IT, maybe 160F on white and 180F on dark.

And opening a new bottle would seem appropriate. Cheers! 
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    @scooter759 do you have a sous vide?

I tagged another one this week and fried small strips. turns out really well. Without SV you find yourself at a loss with tough meat on the grill. I have 3 in the freezer and usually SV for 4-6hours at 160 then grill for minutes wrapped in bacon. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • BLDGMAN
    BLDGMAN Posts: 30
    Cut in small strips across the grain about 1" wide.
    Soak in buttermilk and a few eggs at least overnight, maybe 48 hours, the enzymes in the eggs will tenderize the meat.
    season flour with sage and cayenne pepper, & black pepper
    dredge in flour, fry in peanut oil that's at least 375 degrees until done.
    dip in ranch or honey mustard.

remove any shot that you fins when slicing.

• carolinakid
    carolinakid Posts: 16
    Brine 24 hours- coarse salt brown sugar rosemary thyme. Rinse dry well, apply evoo and favorite poultry rub. Cook 250 dome(225) grid. About 3.5 hrs. (depending on size). Slower is better and do not inject. Could baste or use a drip pan with apple juice and water. Slower is better! I like to smoke with apple wood.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    As everyone else said brine the daylights out of it. I would consider a butter based injection as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    I would brine it and roast it at like 350-375.. until that internal temp gets to 165 or 170 or whatever it is supposed to be.

I would coat it with some butter or oil and rub with fresh herbs... Some rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. Lemon zest. At some point during the cook i'd find a way to spray on some more olive oil or melted butter. If you want to do the leaner pieces on a rack sitting in a pan you can tent it in foil too.

That's just me, as someone who has never cooked a turkey let alone one on the egg.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Thanks for all the input. It was too late to brine by the time I finally made up my mind. It was a big turkey and I decided to cook white and dark separately. I injected with homemade chicken stock and cooked indirect at 275 to 300. Pulled dark at 182, took just over an hour. It was dry, but it did absorb some smoke. It was a little chewy but not as tough as I expected. Cooked the breasts to 162 in the thickest part. Those took close to two hours. The thick parts were tender and juicy, even after cooling. As you got closer to the edges it was obviously tougher but good if eaten right away. Rubbed one breast with Tsunami Spin and one with Raging River. Next time I would brine or sous vide.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN