Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cranberry sauce

Options
dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm off to the store to get a couple last minute items. Discovered no one is making cranberry sauce so I'm picking up a couple of bags of fresh ones. Any one have a favorite recipe? Nothing to fancy or specialized with ingredients mind you. I will pick up a couple oranges and lemons as their zest seems to be a common item.[p]If it wasn't for last minute dashes to the store it wouldn't be Thanksgiving would it?[p]Dennis

Comments

• dhuffjr,[p]Never made a cranberry sauce or jelly but grew up with relish. The recipe I use is the one my parents taught me and, I think, their parents before them which takes us back to pre-WWI in Boston and Cape Cod. Curiously its almost identical with what's on the back of the Ocean Spray bags. The only difference is my folks used a meat grinder and I use a food processor - I preferred their texture but it took a whole lot longer. I usually make six bags of berries, freeze the extra in small containers, and use it with roast chicken during the year. Takes about 30 minutes including the cleanup.[p]So: grind up a couple bags of berries along with a sectioned granny smith or other non-sweet apple and a sectioned orange (including peel/skin but not the core or seeds for both apple and orange.) The berries have little juice by themselves at this point. You want to make it a fine grind but not a puree or mush. If you do more bags, repeat this and add them all into a pot, mix together, and run through the processor again. Once satisfied with the texture mix them in with a couple cups of sugar to taste. You definitely will need a fair amount since the cranberries are pretty tart. Its best to make it a couple days ahead and refrigerate so the flavors meld and you can adjust the sugar after a day or so.
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    if Ocean Spray Cranberrys there is a simple, yet very tasty recipie on the back - by memory:
    -one med orange quartered and seeds out (leave on the peel)
    -pulse 1/2 qty of the crans and 1/2 of the orange & put into a glass bowl
    -pulse the second 1/2 qty of the crans and 1/2 of the orange & put into a glass bowl
    -add 1/4 cup of sugar and put in fridge for a few hours - if satill too tart add more sugar to taste (recipie calls for 1/2 cup of sugar, but that is too sweet for my taste)[p]serve cold - afterall it's a cranberry relish! Enjoy! Joe[p]

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]I'm making this one. The person who sent it to me said, "You
    really need this recipe as well to go with the turkey. It was very delicious."

Fresh Cranberry-Mint Sauce

3/4-1 cup sugar
    l orange, zested and juiced
    1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
    1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    l bag fresh cranberries (12 oz)
    l bunch fresh mint

Dissolve sugar, orange juice, zest, ginger, and nutmeg in saucepan (on hob, in oven, or on Aga back). Add berries, bring to simmer, and let sit in Simmering Oven 30 minutes until berries have popped and sauce has thickened. Chop mint leaves and add just before serving.[p]Gwen

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Btw, buy extra cranberries and use them in a floral decoration. I put the cranberries in the base of a somewhat tall vase, sort of one that flares at the top but really you could use anything, fill with water, and then put in Christmas greens. It is simple, stunning, lasts *forever*, and is unique.[p]Gwen
  • Luvmyegg
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]I never even knew until I was an adult that there was such a thing as cranberry sauce that came in a bowl. We always had the canned stuff pushed out onto a plate, and you could see the can ridges on it. No wonder I never liked cranberry sauce as a kid.[p]Barbara