Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron temp tolerance - Lodge

Terrebandit
Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
I emailed Lodge to inquire about their temperature tolerances for their cast iron products. This is what they said: Dave, 500 degree is the max temperature for Lodge cast iron Thank You, Amanda Gholston Customer Service Lodge Manufacturing. I know I've pushed mine to the 600-650 range without issue. Has anyone cracked a lodge CI pan? At want temp did that occur??
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I have not cracked mine. I did however forget my favorite deep dish fluted pie CI pan in my LBGE and forgot to close the bottom vent and it was around 800℉-850℉ when I pulled it with my trusty grill gloves (was probably like that 30 or so minutes and only reason it didn't get hotter is I was almost out of lump). Side note this is the only Lodge CI pan I currently own. The rest are 50-55 yrs old. None are cracked.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I inadvertently let my Lodge Dutch Oven reach about 750 for a while. No damage, but it wasn't on all that long.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    I have ended up with a couple of old pieces (wife got them from her Grandmother if I remember correctly) that were cracked when we got them. No clue how it happened.

I've never cracked anything and I've done some very high temp cooks. I always make sure that I done place any CI into anything hot - I allow the CI to come up to temp with the grill/stove/oven, and then I allow it to cool slowly.
    South SLO County
  • If your cast iron is set up direct in the BGE and the dome temperature says 750, the cast iron will be hotter, just an FYI.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I have cracked a CI flat griddle but it was because there was a temp difference between the two burners and they heat/cooled at two different rates which stressed the CI causing it to crack.  As long as it can heat/cool at the same rate all over, you shouldn't have much issues at hot temps (6-800)  Just do not try pour water over it to cool it - that is a sure-fired way of having cracked CI.
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    I did that once in my Boy Scout days.  Cracked a griddle clean in half.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I don't think you can say you have lived a full life if you haven't cracked a CI griddle in two yet.  :))

I'd worry more about thermal shock, so just be careful to let the item heat up slowly and cool slowly.

Point of reference, when I was testing the cast iron plate setter, when we had it in the cooker legs up at 380 degrees dome temperature, the temperature of the plaste setter itself was 480 degrees. 

When we had it in legs down at a dome temperature of 680 degrees, the temperature of the plate setter was 910 degrees.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Terrebandit
    All good information. Maybe the 500 degree limit is a CYA statement. I know I've had my Lodge 12" skillet up to 650, at least.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Maybe it was because if the temp in which the seasoning burns off.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Terrebandit
    Last question what is the best temp to bake pizza? Is it over 500 degrees ?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I bet it's the upper limit they guarantee quality(warranty) to.
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    @thenakedwiz
    Glad to know that I can check that one off my bucket list 
    :-*
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    jerryb78 said:
    I did that once in my Boy Scout days.  Cracked a griddle clean in half.
    Did the same thing at camp, too!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I have a feeling that you slowly bring up the temp of the cast iron pan it can go as high as you want. However if you have your egg blazing at 700+ and your pan is at room temp 70 or lower and you stick it in there chances are good it might crack.

The 500 I am sure like posted is what the factory is saying for warranty support. They have to put some limit on it or people would be going nuts lol.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Last question what is the best temp to bake pizza? Is it over 500 degrees ?
    Hijacking your own thread?  :D

There is no best temp. It depends on the style of pie and the dough you're using, mostly hydration IMO. I have recipes that bake best at 450°, 5-550° and 725°. Tried the 725° pies at 900° a couple of times, but no more. It's ok, but really no better than 725 - plus it's scarier and easier to burn the pie. For your generic grocery store dough or Pizza Hut style pie, 500° is fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186

This pan was written up in the Wagner Griswold Society member news letter.

This thing is almost bullet proof. It's heavy at about 7 lbs. It can be put under a broiler, grill direct.

I've had mine over 500.

Makes incredible grill marks too! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8SGP3-Pre-Seasoned-Square-10-5-inch/dp/B0000CF66W/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1399149969&sr=1-1

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I took a very cold 12" Lodge out of my deck box a couple of years ago and stuck it on an induction burner on high with boost. Split it right in half. That said, I've got a pizza CI that I've had to 1000* with no issue.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Terrebandit
    edited May 2014
    @Carolina Q‌ Thanks.
    Dave - Austin, TX