Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked potatoes on BGE

Let's hear it....prep, setup, temp, time. Looking for any and all suggestions.

Comments

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    If i'm already cooking indirect, just toss them straight on the grate, no foil or anything, how long depends on temp.  1 hour@ 375-400 or 2.5 hours @ 250.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    If I can, raised direct. ~400 deg. Most importantly is the it temp of the potato. 212 is commonly considered perfect.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    There are several ways, but what I use is foil and then I drive one of these 3.5" long aluminum nails through leaving a bit of the head exposed. They may look like common box nails but are made for this purpose. They assure the center of the tator gets cooked.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    I wash them down with vinegar then roll them in coarse salt and just put them around randomly on the grate and cook indirect at 350F for about 1 1/2 hour...The skin will be good and crisp with the inside soft and mushy..I use Russet potatoes..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Here's how I do them, although I usually don't brine them anymore.  No nails.  1 hour at 400 degrees on a raised grid on a pizza stone in a small Egg does the trick.  Baked Potatoes
    The Naked Whiz
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Pierce their skins (so they don't explode during the cook) then rub bacon grease on their skins. Then wrap in foil and bake as usual. Yukon Gold's are to die for!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I do them quite a bit.
    Clean and dry spuds.
    Pierce the skin in a few spots.
    Rub with EVOO.
    Lightly dust with kosher salt and coarse grain pepper.
    I like them directly on raised grid direct at 350℉-400℉ (it gets the skin nice and crispy).
    I pull when deep brown in color and skin is crisp.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    RRP said:
    There are several ways, but what I use is foil and then I drive one of these 3.5" long aluminum nails through leaving a bit of the head exposed. They may look like common box nails but are made for this purpose. They assure the center of the tator gets cooked.
    I have some of those, 2-1/2" long, hold my cedar siding to the house. Aluminum nails can be a PITA to drive. Never thought about using them to pierce and conduct heat in a potato. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    edited May 2014
    These have been sold for decades as kitchen wares. I remember my A & U store way back in the 50's when they were selling them wired to a piece of cardboard. I even found a set of them less than 10 years ago in a local "carry everything mom & pop store".
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    If you use this method please don't forget to take them out your mother in law's tatter...
    :-O
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RRP
    If you use this method please don't forget to take them out your mother in law's tatter...
    :-O
    and to use gloves or a fork - that nail is HOT!!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    @RRP, I literally just saw those last night in the Firecraft catalog.  Thought about picking some up and giving them a try.  Do you see that they help much?  TIA.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    yes they work - like I said I leave a bit of the head protruding which takes the heat inside the potato. Also if they are large potatoes I drive one in each end. Granted you can live without these, but I'll assure you the inside will be cooked using them!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Thanks.  One can never have too many toys and gadgets.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    YEMTrey said:
    Thanks.  One can never have too many toys and gadgets.
    WHOA - you mean these for $9.99? That is a rip off! I think I paid $1 for 8 nails!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    As often as not, I use a microwave. Poke some holes with a fork, then 5-8 minutes on high. Stop when they're soft. Or 200°-ish. It's the only thing I cook in a microwave. If I'm egging/ovening something at 400 or so for an hour, I'll throw the potatoes in there too. If not, they get nuked.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    chashans said:
    Pierce their skins (so they don't explode during the cook) then rub bacon grease on their skins. Then wrap in foil and bake as usual. Yukon Gold's are to die for!
    Point of order, your honor!   :)  If you wrap them in foil, they are steamed potatoes.  My father taught me that at an early age.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Every once in a while I like to cook them like my Dad did back in the 60's and 70's on the old backyard charcoal grill for the family cookout. Cut an X in the spud, place a pat of butter on top, salt liberally and wrap in foil. Grill direct or even on top of the coals for about an hour. The skin turns black, and is absolutely delicious. Being wrapped in foil, it was the only thing on the grill not tasting like lighter fluid. Great times.
    allsid Posts: 492
    Wow-  you folks sure are intricate-

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!

Wash, poke, raised direct if you are doing direct, indirect if not.  375 for an hour or until squeeze tender.

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    A couple weeks ago I shoved a few whole cloves into a spud before tossing it on. Pulled them out before I dug in, added some nice flavor.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    DMW said:
    A couple weeks ago I shoved a few whole cloves into a spud before tossing it on. Pulled them out before I dug in, added some nice flavor.
    That sounds good! 
    :-c
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited May 2014
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    For a change of pace try twice baked potatoes. A little extra effort but oh so good!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I do them quite a bit. Clean and dry spuds. Pierce the skin in a few spots. Rub with EVOO. Lightly dust with kosher salt and coarse grain pepper. I like them directly on raised grid direct at 350℉-400℉ (it gets the skin nice and crispy). I pull when deep brown in color and skin is crisp.
    I agree with @NPHuskerFL.  This is exactly how I do them.... Although sometime I do with the pepper and sometimes without. Depends on mood. This potato method will always get raves...

Long Island, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Rub with EVOO and kosher salt, indirect until it feels right. My wife is the official tater feeler. Usually about an hour at 375.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I rub them down with light coat of melted butter and sprinkle on some Kosher salt. Bake them until they are soft. No nails, no thermometer necessary.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Tjcoley said:
    Every once in a while I like to cook them like my Dad did back in the 60's and 70's on the old backyard charcoal grill for the family cookout. Cut an X in the spud, place a pat of butter on top, salt liberally and wrap in foil. Grill direct or even on top of the coals for about an hour. The skin turns black, and is absolutely delicious. Being wrapped in foil, it was the only thing on the grill not tasting like lighter fluid. Great times.
    I loved the fact you brought this up, my father did the same thing and I quite often like to do this method as well.  I have updated the recipe a bit and added some fresh herbs and garlic to the inside of potato for that extra touch of flavour!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Coat with oil, salt and pepper.  Wrap in foil and place directly on coals near the side.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    I like to take the baby dutch taters, drizzle oil, and add course salt, and fresh pepper. Wrap in foil and throw on direct. I only have one egg, so sometimes I'll throw them on the gasser while I'm cooking low or high heat on the egg. They come out great. Everyone can take as many as they want, then smash the left overs and throw them in an omlet!!