Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size Egg do you have? If buying a 2nd- would you go bigger or smaller?

2»

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    @yemtrey I agree with you 100 % about the "scene" Me and my wife have found a way to go to shows now with out having to deal with anyone .
    I have been seeing Phish for over 22 years and there is no way I could do it the way I used to .

We will pick a 3 night run and bring our bikes , We are cyclists so we stay generally 45 minutes away from a venue and only go to places that have amazing cycling ,
    So we spend the days riding our bikes and then go to a show at night ,
    Never stay for the encore and try to be the first ones out .
    The people at the shows are the worst to me . It is a shame that the scene turned into what it did ,
    It really is gross.
    That said I really love the music still
    Toronto
  • Start out with the XXL, then go ever smaller until you have the entire lineup. It gives you way more options. You'll never regret it.

I'm almost tapped out myself, so my next egg is going to have to be made from an actual dinosaur egg I "found" at the museum of natural history. It should be perfect for those times when you only want to eat ONE atomic buffalo turd.

Keep Calm and Egg On brother!
    Gittin' there...
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    @yemtrey I agree with you 100 % about the "scene" Me and my wife have found a way to go to shows now with out having to deal with anyone .
    I have been seeing Phish for over 22 years and there is no way I could do it the way I used to .

We will pick a 3 night run and bring our bikes , We are cyclists so we stay generally 45 minutes away from a venue and only go to places that have amazing cycling ,
    So we spend the days riding our bikes and then go to a show at night ,
    Never stay for the encore and try to be the first ones out .
    The people at the shows are the worst to me . It is a shame that the scene turned into what it did ,
    It really is gross.
    That said I really love the music still
    Nice.  Thanks for the response, I feel the same exact way and it's nice to see that I'm not alone.  Been listening since early 90's and still love the music, just can't handle the "scene" anymore.  

Sounds like you have a great routine to enjoy the show and it's surroundings.  The last show I saw that I thoroughly enjoyed was Chris Robinson Brotherhood at a small theater.  It's all about the music for me anymore.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    I have an XL. If I would get another it would be a Mini Max, just for week night cooks.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • bigbull
    bigbull Posts: 4
    Although I'm new to posting on the forum, I've been trolling for years primarily for recipes, etc...I'm ashamed I don't know more about this MiniMax....
    Please keep it coming with the input! There's been a number of posts that have got my wheels turning...
    Grill Master by the Grace of God - Egghead by Choice
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    2 Larges and a well used Mini. In answer to the second question: NO
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    Added a small to my large because I wanted portability for tailgating. Use it on occasion to do second appetizer or app while large is full.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    I have all 5 sizes if I had to pick two it would be large and mini,but I'd wait on the mini max.Thats just what fits my needs everybody's got different needs.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    I started off with a large then realized that I needed an even larger than large grill. I tried to purchase the demo XXL during the past EggtoberFest at Stone Mountain park but was denied. 

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    I have a large. If I got a second would probably go for an xl for bigger cooks for family gatherings.

The large seems to be perfect for even my family of 6. When I get my AR, it should expand my cooks even more.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Why is the XL overkill for a midweek cook? I fire it up the same way if fire up any other egg. It gets to temp fast and I don't go through a ton of lump. I use the angle L brackets from ceramic grill store.

I may get the mini max if I have a little cash burning a whole in my pocket.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

A lot of people start with one Egg, usually the Large, (including me)  thinking one is enough.  But then they really get into cooking on the Egg and sooner or later begin to think 'second Egg' for a variety of reasons.  Took me about five years to get a second one (small), then a Mini at 7 years, and then another Large at 10 years.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably go with two Large's and a Mini because there's only two of us and I've pretty much got all the Large accessories that are available, including some very early EGGsperimental accessories from a number of sources.

The Large is the workhorse and can probably handle well over 50% of all your cooks, probably even 80% if they are planned well.  So what you are actually looking for is something to EGGspand your horizons into new cooks.  The Large will probably do it and do it well, but it all comes down to how many people you cook for, the frequency of those cooks, the type of food you're cooking and the time you have to cook it. 

You may need two XL's when you factor in all the variables.  So don't underbuy.  Better yet, buy what you can without financial strain.  No matter the size, it's an investment for your needs now and well into the future.

Spring "Indecisions Spoil The Fun Of Deciding" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I've had my large for about 7 years and added a small last summer. There are many times on any given weekend that both will be hot. The small will see 75-80% of the work around my house! mainly during the week nights. I should add there are just 2 of us here. I could prolly get by with the small most times but is is great to have both when you want to get crazy.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I'd only get a second one if it was portable. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger myself. I travel quite a bit and it might be nice to cook while I'm away from home or with friends
    Dave - Austin, TX