Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef

Options
2»

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I am going with the chuck blade
    Toronto
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    OK, I think that's basically the same as beef clod I think. Should be the same thing. Post a pic when you get it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    Options
    yeah i am cooking it for next Sat ,

how long do you think a whole clod would take ?
    Toronto
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2014
    Options
    yeah i am cooking it for next Sat ,

how long do you think a whole clod would take ?

Check this out, I did a 24 lb beef clod here, and it was awesome!:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• pantsypants
    Options
    Amazing !! thanks ,
    do you think that is enough to feed 35 people ? ?

Also I have a large , I will be able to fit that sucker on there ?
    I am suprised that it only took 14.5 hours ? I would have thought it would be about 20 ?

Toronto
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

Amazing !! thanks ,

I am suprised that it only took 14.5 hours ? I would have thought it would be about 20 ?

35 people, yes. I've been using this formula for a while (I saw it on a catering forum somewhere) and it seems to come fairly close:

# of people / 2.4 = raw lbs pork/beef

So 35 divided by 2.4 = 14.5 lbs of raw clod. Of course it's just a guess, depends what kind of eaters you have!

As far as fit goes, my 24 pounder was huge, but I probably could have tucked the ends in a little to make more room if I needed it. On a large, perhaps. I don't see why you couldn't cut it if needed to make a better fit. How bout rigging another grid above to make 2 levels, cut it in half, then it would be no problem.

From experience, when cooking relatively big meats (pork shoulder, clods, brisket), it seems like everything I cook takes 10-14 hours despite what a per lb formula tells you.
    They all seem to land in that sweet spot when cooked at 250 whether they are 8 pounds or 20 lbs. I know that shouldn't make sense but that's what I've found.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• pantsypants
    Options
    Amazing !! thanks ,

35 people, yes. I've been using this formula for a while (I saw it on a catering forum somewhere) and it seems to come fairly close: # of people / 2.4 = raw lbs pork/beef So 35 divided by 2.4 = 14.5 lbs of raw clod. Of course it's just a guess, depends what kind of eaters you have! As far as fit goes, my 24 pounder was huge, but I probably could have tucked the ends in a little to make more room if I needed it. On a large, perhaps. I don't see why you couldn't cut it if needed to make a better fit. How bout rigging another grid above to make 2 levels, cut it in half, then it would be no problem. From experience, when cooking relatively big meats (pork shoulder, clods, brisket), it seems like everything I cook takes 10-14 hours despite what a per lb formula tells you. They all seem to land in that sweet spot when cooked at 250 whether they are 8 pounds or 20 lbs. I know that shouldn't make sense but that's what I've found.
    This is great Intel !!  thanks so much I really appreciate it .

Toronto