Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Prime Fillet

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
Not sure why my other thread won't bump. Anyway, thought I'd share a pic of my first experience with this type of cooking. It's probably the easiest thing I've ever done. Came home for lunch, un-boxed it and set it up. I couldn't find the ribeye in my freezer but I found some prime fillets. Put them in a bag with DP Red Eye and butter, vac sealed and cooked at 134* till I got back home, ended up being 5 hours. Took them out and seared on the CI. Very good and very easy. I love how it goes edge to edge, perfect medium rare. I would have taken a couple more pics but I didn't think of it until after I had begun to inhale it...imageimage
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Dammit...

If I didn't already spend $700 today on two sets of lenses for frames I already wear, one of those little food bathes would be in my basket on Amazon.

That looks awesome!
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Only reason I have one now is this forum. Someone, can't remember who, posted the other day that the Demi was on sale for $199. Money well spent. To think I'd never even heard the words sous vide before I came tho this place:))
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Looks great and I am sure you will get better and better with it.  BUT did you feel it was missing anything?  In other words, did you miss the smoke flavor you would have picked-up if you did a reverse sear, etc ?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @NDG Do you feel a steak needs smoke to be great?

What is the best steak you've ever had in your life? Mine was at Craft Steak in Las Vegas, and there wasn't a hint of smoke. It was a ridiculous Kobe Flat Iron steak.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Steaks via sous vide is the way to go in my opinion. Especially when having guests over. There is no time crunch and all the steaks come out perfect. The only issue has been when someone wants a "well done" steak. UGGGH.. so I just put that one on the egg for longer to torch it dry. Chicken and pork chops are also so moist and tender. It is a compliment to the egg, not a replacement at my house. I would recommend the Anova type over the Demi, just because of the tub size limitation of the demi-style.  I just clamp my anova style onto a cooler.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• NDG
    Options
    I hear ya Cazzy.  I worked at Mortons Steakhouse all 4 years through college and best steak I have ever had was not cooked over coals . . so it did not have smoke.   

Honestly, I think I am a little obsessed with sous vide right now and tryyyyying to talk myself out of the purchase because I have been getting awesome results with reverse sear recently. I think I will pull the trigger if the sous vide ( I am looking at the anova ) is easier AND more/better flavor & texture. 

So the real comparison I am interested in is not "the best steak I have ever had" vrs reverse sear, but instead a comparison of reverse sear VRS sous vide and sear. Ya smell me?

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    @raymont . . nice post.  I like your line "It is a compliment to the egg, not a replacement at my house".  Makes me feel better about another cooking investment.  I also like the idea of having a group of ppl over and the steaks are perfect in the middle - just need a sear . . brilliant!

@cazzy . . do you sous vide?
    Columbus, OH

• cazzy
    Options
    NDG said:

@cazzy . . do you sous vide?

Yes. I have a PolyScience Pro Chef Series. I don't use it as much as I should...lately it's being used for reheating food a lot.

I do love it though...great for poultry!

• NDG
    Options
    Ok cool.  Too much work to bring that polyscience unit on the Fam Vaca with you to compliment the small?  I am thinking about all those steaks you pumped out on the small egg for a group. 

I guess the time consuming / pain in the a$$ part would be all the vacuum sealing?  I am just trying to figure out when/how I would use this thing.  Sorry for all the Questions. 
    Columbus, OH

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    NDG said:
    Ok cool.  Too much work to bring that polyscience unit on the Fam Vaca with you to compliment the small?  I am thinking about all those steaks you pumped out on the small egg for a group. 

I guess the time consuming / pain in the a$$ part would be all the vacuum sealing?  I am just trying to figure out when/how I would use this thing.  Sorry for all the Questions. 
    I just have the cheap "dorkfood" SV that works with a crock pot.  You are correct that the time consuming part is the vac sealing.   I mean...it's not too bad for a couple of steaks but it definitely adds steps to the process.   It would be easier if I had a larger vessel because then you could put more steaks in one big bag.  With the crock pot I really have to steal the steaks individually.  It is fine for a couple of steaks, but I wouldn't want to do it for a crowd.  

I mentioned this in another discussion, but I would just start with getting a food saver and try the sous vide steak in a cooler method:

A food saver is handy to have anyway, so if you find the sous vide thing isn't for you it won't be a waste.  I love my food saver for leftover pulled pork/brisket, etc or for bulk purchases of meat.  

I have only used mine for steak so far and it does do a great job.  I haven't had one come out quite as perfect looking as @jls9595 did in this post.   Great job by the way!  I think I have been going too long on the sear.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    Options
    NDG said:

I actually was ticked that I didn't bring it. It definitely could have made things a lot easier. It won't be an after thought next time.

Vacuum sealing would have been pretty easy and the polyscience can easily handle an ice chest.