Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size Egg do you have? If buying a 2nd- would you go bigger or smaller?

I've got a Large. I'm trying to decide if another L would be best move? OR am I kidding myself...just go for the XL? All input's appreciated!
Grill Master by the Grace of God - Egghead by Choice

Comments

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    For my wife and I, one large Egg is plenty for us!  But don't think for a second that I haven't got the urge to buy another Large or Medium for those days when I wanna cook everything in sight!  Also, that way the two eggs can keep each other company as well  ;)
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• SenorHuevo
    SenorHuevo Posts: 40
    So, I'm new to this, but this question has crossed my mind,  I have a large too.  Two schools of thought: get another large and be able to use all of my stuff in either egg or wait for the minimax which will be portable.  Two temps is cool, that's for sure.  I say same size if using at home only or smaller if looking for something complementary.
    I will never cook inside again.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    So, I'm new to this, but this question has crossed my mind,  I have a large too.  Two schools of thought: get another large and be able to use all of my stuff in either egg or wait for the minimax which will be portable.  Two temps is cool, that's for sure.  I say same size if using at home only or smaller if looking for something complementary.
    My thoughts exactly, two larges would allow me to use and share my eggcessories on both and two temps would be so nice on certain cooking days!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I have an xl. So could only go smaller. There is an Akorn at the local menards for 99. Trying to justify and how to explain the purchase to the wife.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    How many do you cook for on a normal cook and then how many and how often for a large group? It was just the two of us and we started with a large (XL wasn't in existence then) then in 4 months we bought a small after realizing the two extremes offered great possibilities. Now our small gets over 60% of my biz. If you cook a bunch and quite often then consider an XL but think it through on your own!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have the XL and right now don't see buying another one just yet, if I do and money wasn't an issue I would get the medium or large. Right now I am happy with the XL. I'm also waiting on the mini max to come out to check it out.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I went from medium to XL, if I had a large I'd probably not have got a second egg.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    My view is... how many grills did you have before you bought an egg? I had ONE. For my entire adult life. And it was just fine. Family of four, cookouts with friends and family. ONE GRILL. That's all my friends had too.

Shortly after I bought my large, I got a second egg (Mini) because I listened to everyone here. I haven't used both eggs at the same time...EVER! Think long and hard about buying a second egg just because everyone says you should. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I started with an XL for the wife and I but it is great when the family gets together.  Last fall I picked up a Medium and it will likely see more use for the 2 of us after I get the deck refinished.  I won't set it up until that job is done.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I've got an XL, and currently thinking about a second egg.  "Why?" is the one question that has haunted my decision.  I thought if I had a medium, I could maybe get going a few minutes faster for small cooks.  I could get a large - probably not much performance difference than the XL.  I am mainly cooking for 2.  I've never had a group I couldn't accommodate on the XL though.  Small seems interesting, but it is ... well, small.  The minimax looks interesting.  Anyhow, for me the second egg choice will most likely not be a shrewd, well thought out, incisive purchase.  More likely it will be an example of what the GFU calls retail therapy.  An emotional buy without any sound logical foundation.  With the XL, I can do small cooks and be up and cooking in less time than it takes to prepare most of the ingredients.  I use the CGS lump reducer ring, so don't really use excessive amounts of lump.  When I want to go big, I have that capability too.  The Vulcan in me is having a hard time with this second egg stuff. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121

I have a large. My next one will be bigger and another brand. Wife does not like the idea of mini. Her reaction a couple of times I brought up buying a mini: "You bought a hibachi that you have never used once."

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    I have an XL currently. It is great for a couple packer briskets, 5-6 racks of ribs, etc, but it is WAY overkill for a couple chicken breasts mid week. I plan to add a Medium in the next month or so. 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    My first egg was a large.  I followed that with another large so that I could share accessories between the two.  Next came the small and like RRP, with just my wife and I it gets most of our day to day use.  After that came the mini.  It's cute and somewhat functional, but hands down the least practical egg we own.  Last but not least is the XL.  Great for high volume cooks, but it really shines for cooking ribs raised direct over the coals.  I would love to have a medium for a dedicated "baking egg" and a minimax because it would be more practical than the mini, but the fact is, I've run out of room on my deck!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • SenorHuevo
    My view is... how many grills did you have before you bought an egg? I had ONE. For my entire adult life. And it was just fine. Family of four, cookouts with friends and family. ONE GRILL. That's all my friends had too.

Shortly after I bought my large, I got a second egg (Mini) because I listened to everyone here. I haven't used both eggs at the same time...EVER! Think long and hard about buying a second egg just because everyone says you should. 
    Well, now this is some sound advice -- and something that I need to consider too -- I've never had more than one.  While I like the idea of two temps and I have been hooked on not ever cooking inside again, how often would I really use two?  Sure, it would be nice to be able to bring one camping.  But when was the last time I brought a grill camping?  Never.  Sure, it would be nice to be able to bring one over to a less fortunate eggless friend's house.  But when was the last time I brought a grill to a friend's house?  Never. 

I like buying $#!+ that I don't need as much as the next guy, but it's nice to be reminded that maybe there is more value in learning to use the stuff you already have.  Nobody judges the meal on how many grills that you have, they judge it on how it tastes and looks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i have 2 larges that are a hundred miles apart and have only had them together once in 10 years, i have a small thats set up now at a friends lake house as i never used it, i have a mini vision kub that gets used all the time. the mini size was an eye opener for me once i learned to do big cooks on it, i can easily cook 30 wings on it, or 3 personally  sized deep dishes, or 3 personal sized meat pies, or a 5 pound pastrami, or a full rack of ribs, or a family sized meat loaf,  etc all with a ridiculously small amount of lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    I went through this a few weeks ago , I own a large but I knew I needed another egg (yes needed)
    I went with the XL as I would prefer to have to much room then not enough .  I am yet to pick it up as I am getting through the Toronto Eggfest but I  am thinking I did the right thing .
    I am sure I wont use it as much as the large ( we are only me and the wife ) but we always have people over .

Toronto
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Started w/ a large, for our Christmas we got a small. Have not used it traveling w/ the bus, but plan to. We have used both together but use the small once or twice a week for din-din. Just the two of us
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I currently have an XL and love it.  It's perfect for any type of cook I do. 

I do plan on buying the Mini Max when it comes out.  Not to supplement my cooks at home, but to be able to take it camping, tailgating, to the beach, etc.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    @Yemtrey have you taken it to any Phish shows ? ?
    Toronto
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    I have a large then went with small followed by mini. I guess that answers it - going smaller it is!  :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    my 1st egg was a Large and i love it =my 2nd egg is also a Large that I bought at Eggtoberfest and love it as well butt I wish that my 2nd was a XL their are times that I could use the extra space
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • dougengel
    dougengel Posts: 13
    I' currently have a large, and as several others have said, the next will be another large - to share accessories (and to grill veggies while the meat is cooking).
    Doug E. Charlotte, NC Cyclist, IPA fan, World Traveler
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Well, now this is some sound advice -- and something that I need to consider too -- I've never had more than one.  While I like the idea of two temps and I have been hooked on not ever cooking inside again, how often would I really use two?  Sure, it would be nice to be able to bring one camping.  But when was the last time I brought a grill camping?  Never.  Sure, it would be nice to be able to bring one over to a less fortunate eggless friend's house.  But when was the last time I brought a grill to a friend's house?  Never. 

I like buying $#!+ that I don't need as much as the next guy, but it's nice to be reminded that maybe there is more value in learning to use the stuff you already have.  Nobody judges the meal on how many grills that you have, they judge it on how it tastes and looks.

When camping, do you cook over the campfire for all meals?  Inside the camper?  Or do you backpack?

Have camped in various setups, tent, camper, 5th wheel, permanent site.  Along with shelter and hydration, a grill of some sort is a constant.  I'm curious, because I've never left the house without one.  Most times, we have several.  One dedicated to the BBQ cooks, often for supper.  And another for the quick grilling meals.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SenorHuevo
    @Focker -- only fire or MSR.  I used to be more of an avid backpacker, but now I'm prone to car camping.  Not saying a little BGE wouldn't be really fun at the site, but I rather enjoy using the fire as it allows me to plug into my primitive self.  If I had it, I'd make an excuse to use it and I'm sure I would like it but, for me, it's a solution without a problem.

But I'll probably buy a MiniMax anyway...
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Keep your eyes on CL and when one shows up at a price you can't pass up that will be the next size you get!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

If the booze flows hard enough, we too, plug into our primitive hardwiring by getting naked and making smores.

In all seriousness, I hear ya.  Playing with fire is fun.  A grill is convenient.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JPakaPope
    JPakaPope Posts: 32
    BOWHUNR said:

Last but not least is the XL.  Great for high volume cooks, but it really shines for cooking ribs raised direct over the coals.  

Mike
    Curious, what temp for direct ribs? I've been thinking of attempting, but wasn't sure on temp.

Thanks! JP
    Ames, Iowa
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    @Yemtrey have you taken it to any Phish shows ? ?
    @pantsypants, the XL hasn't left my patio since I bought it.  I'll travel with the Mini Max, but it won't be to Phish shows.  That scene has changed and just isn't for me anymore.

Got some property on a lake in KY, that I plan on taking it to, as well as Michigan games and Florida this summer.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have a large, and would probably do another large for a second. A mini, small or mini max intrigue me. I'd like to say I'd use it camping, but I prefer classic fire cooking with cast iron. Though not so easy in the rain...
    Dunedin, FL