Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here comes the hate

Options

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    This thread should be fun.

And I agree with @Eggcelsior.

NOLA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited May 2014
    Options

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I agree with CQ. I personally couldn't care less what people use. This place is great because of the people, not the cooker. We make the cooker better with the advice you won't find anywhere else. I have perused other cooker's forums and they are desolate compared to this place. I guess that goes with the fact that the BGE has been around the longest and has the most cult members. You aren't going to find many other cookers that had entire businesses start because of them. Look at CGS, CGW, Dizzy Pig, Smokeware, etc, along with the dealer network. I prefer the egg business model because it creates small business opportunities for individuals that want to sell it. I can build a personal relationship with them and meet new people who share the same love of the egg. Lastly, tell me how many companies have a nationwide network of cooking festivals.
    I've been around for a while. Fishlessman, RRP, tjv, egret, Richard FL and a few others have been around these forums longer. Some of the best guys got peed with the old forum and went to Primo. Damned big loss for all involved. Who cares which ceramic or steel cooker somebody uses? You will find that the competitive guys and oracles like thirdeye use many.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• buzd504
    Options
    I agree with CQ. I personally couldn't care less what people use. This place is great because of the people, not the cooker. We make the cooker better with the advice you won't find anywhere else. I have perused other cooker's forums and they are desolate compared to this place. I guess that goes with the fact that the BGE has been around the longest and has the most cult members. You aren't going to find many other cookers that had entire businesses start because of them. Look at CGS, CGW, Dizzy Pig, Smokeware, etc, along with the dealer network. I prefer the egg business model because it creates small business opportunities for individuals that want to sell it. I can build a personal relationship with them and meet new people who share the same love of the egg. Lastly, tell me how many companies have a nationwide network of cooking festivals.
    I've been around for a while. Fishlessman, RRP, tjv, egret, Richard FL and a few others have been around these forums longer. Some of the best guys got peed with the old forum and went to Primo. Damned big loss for all involved. Who cares which ceramic or steel cooker somebody uses? You will find that the competitive guys and oracles like thirdeye use many.

Are you saying they adopted new cookers because of their online experience?  I find that odd.

(although changing cookers for more practical reasons doesn't faze me at all - to each his own and no harm no foul).
    NOLA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
      I personally couldn't care less what people use.
    . Who cares which ceramic or steel cooker somebody uses? You will find that the competitive guys and oracles like thirdeye use many.
    Excellent point and I agree 100 percent my friends. I love the egg as much as any one but have always tried to point out that its not the best at every thing. No one unit is as they all have a unique and intended purpose. If you limit yourself to one cooker and one method then you limit your over all cooking ability. Most people have more than one type if they really enjoy cooking unless money is a limiting factor. That goes for pros and novices alike.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Steve, what was the story with RTD? He was gone before I got here.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

I believe it involved Celtic Wolf and a moink ball recipe.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Options
    or a t shirt?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Options

Sad to see him go.  He helped me post pics.  I think he participates on the Brethren forum?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    RTD hasn't been active on the Brethren for years. I heard was he was so busy catering that he didn't have time for forums anymore. Not really sure why he deleted the majority of his pics. He sure took beautiful pics.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Carolina Q
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Brandon, we talking about the same guy? RTD was gone before I got here and you came along long after I got here. I think so anyway. Sad to see who go? RTD or Pete? :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited May 2014
    Options

Rick's Tropical Delight?  I was around, not too long before you.  My head was buried in med-surg books for a few years at that time.

Actually both. lol 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Gotcha. A sleeper. :) I don't think I ever saw one of RTD's posts. Not real time anyway.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Yeah, this forum is paid for by BGE. It's also inhabited by a buncha folks who know a thing or two about cooking. Not to mention some of the nicest, most helpful people you will ever meet. Whatever you wind up with, you'll get help if you need it.

Some will get their shorts in a bunch when you mention KJ, Primo, Weber, etc. Others will be more than willing to help if they can. Me, I have two eggs, two Webers, a flower pot and a kitchen stove. Some get used more than others. All are great cookers in their own way. But in the end, they are just products. I gave BGE some money, they gave me a grill. Beyond that, I don't owe them a thing. I'm sure the feeling is mutual (except the warranty of course :) ).

You are not looking for a MATE. You are looking for a GRILL. Pick the one that suits you best.
    Amen, brotha, Amen
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

Its the soup Nazi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • buzd504
    Options
    tjosborne said:
    Its the soup Nazi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    where?
    NOLA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I have never seen a KJ, so I don't have any performance experience to go off of. That being said I think the warranty issue is moot, and the reason KJ ships direct is likely because they don't have as many dealers.

I have had a platesetter crack, and had to wait until the dealer got one in. I was disgruntled, but in the end.. no biggie. I got over it.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    First kamado experience was with an early KJ. No dealers in my area so I bought a BGE. Would consider a KJ if I ever wanted a second kamado grill. My experience was very good and from latest looks, the KJ has improved considerably. I still use my Weber and gasser when the cook is better served by it. Given the number of kamado's on the market, BGE's market share must be declining even though I'd bet their over all sales are growing. Somebody is buying all those KJs, Visions and Brownings.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Options
    mrdnks said:
    I am not sure why you are on an EGG forum asking about other brands?
    Why dont you go to their forum and ask questions.
    If this offends you, oh well. Bye bye

Well, I have an egg and I consider it my right to post here.

BUT, my next ceramic cooker will not be an egg. The whole fiasco of shipping defective gasket -even after they knew the problem- was a such big turn off for me I lost my respect for this company.

And the OP is right about lack of innovation. They have this great community going for them and the brand name. But that's about it.

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Don't you think it's interesting that not one person has said don't buy a KJ as I had this problem or that problem and the company sucks so I bought and Egg but loads of people are happy to half knock something about BGE. Personally I had the choice in the UK to buy a KJ locally or an Egg on the net, I went for the XL mainly as the quality was better and there were more accessories available (which you probably won't need but that's a different story), my decision wouldn't be based on this forum, with the wonderful internet there is normally a answer for any questions you have, like on here it might not always be the right answer. I'm happy with my choice and would probably but it again, however in the UK the price is now a potential turn off so I will have to reassess. Whatever your decision make it your own. Good luck!
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    Oh by the way, to answer your question having seen and played with both set ups IMO the BGE nest, handler and shelves are far superior to the KJ version
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Bear in mind that KJ has been around for 5 years or so. BGE, many years longer. For something with a lifetime warranty, that difference can "possibly" become very important.

That being said, I own all three of the models you mentioned. You can probably guess which one I bought first.
    Gittin' there...
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Gadfly said:

mrdnks said:

I am not sure why you are on an EGG forum asking about other brands?
    Why dont you go to their forum and ask questions.
    If this offends you, oh well. Bye bye

Well, I have an egg and I consider it my right to post here.

BUT, my next ceramic cooker will not be an egg. The whole fiasco of shipping defective gasket -even after they knew the problem- was a such big turn off for me I lost my respect for this company.

And the OP is right about lack of innovation. They have this great community going for them and the brand name. But that's about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The KJ is a carbon copy of the egg, so who is lacking innovation? They have a lot going for them besides the community.

Sure, it would have been great to have a better gasket, but did they not make it right? Did they not fix the issue on the egg? You lost respect of a company for something they fixed for you and for future customers? I installed a Rutland when my non-nomex "defective" gasket fried after a year when I did a pizza cook.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Options
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • Little Steven
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Are you saying they adopted new cookers because of their online experience?  I find that odd.

(although changing cookers for more practical reasons doesn't faze me at all - to each his own and no harm no foul).
    No, they had several cookers but whenever anything but green eggs were mentioned there were flame wars.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Steve, what was the story with RTD? He was gone before I got here.

Michael,

Someone inadvertently used one of Ricks pictures in a post. All hell broke loose.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Thanks for your kind hearted lovin' but i am not specifically speaking on just buying a kj...its trying to weight the options of kj vs bge. If it offends you, oh well. 
    Just so you know I was kidding. Do what you think is right. My next buy will be a Big Steel Keg so I can travel to eggfests B-)
    Big Steel Keg of what? Bourbon? Cheap Canadian whiskey? Will you be at the NH fest this year or are you afraid He whose name can not be mentioned will show up?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I heard that person went through gender transofmation and is now properly referred to as she.

Steve 

Caledon, ON