Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef

pantsypants
pantsypants Posts: 1,191
edited May 2014 in Beef
Going to do pulled beef for a party for 40
Is it right to just treat it like I would a pork butt ?
Toronto

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Not sure but I think you smoke it and then braise it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    edited May 2014
    I know that for Barabacoa you would , I was hoping that I could just slow cook the whole thing as my Dutch oven  wont fit all that meat in there and the bigger dutch oven  I have wont fit in the egg .....

Toronto
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i wrap it with foil at 180 and continue the cook up to 210 internal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I can lend you one if you want. I may be wrong about the braise as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    i have one that is big enough for the oven. I can just transfer it there .
    Brasing I know is for Barbacoa , not sure if its needed for pulled beef ,
    although i pulled a recipe off the old forum and it called for a braise
    Toronto
  • fishlessman
    edited May 2014
    heres a cook i did along time ago, if you add liquid to the foil keep it under a couple tablspoons or it gets potroasty, you really dont need the liquid but it does seem to help when you pull it. ive settled on 210 for an internal, 205 wasnt enough texture wise.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/103156/x/p1

fukahwee maine

• pantsypants
    @fishlessman

this looks great !! I am serving 35 people and thinking about 20lbs ?
    what are your thoughts on this ? and also what kind of cook time am I looking at ?
    Toronto
  • fishlessman
    its been a while but i think about 10 hours for a 7 to 8 pounder.  you need a big piece, if the chuck is cut in smaller pieces you would probably need to braise it like clayq's method. dont know how long a whole chuck roll would take but they are 22 to 24 pounds there abouts before timming off the outer flaps and you could get some sliceable meat as well as the pull. seems to me nature boy did a cook similar with the whole beef clod and could give you a better time estimate
    fukahwee maine

• pantsypants
    thanks ,
    I am thinking it may be smarter to do three 8 pounders than one big piece

Toronto
  • fishlessman
    heres a cook by olddave that used to post here years ago using the size pieces found in the regular supermarkets, would be easy to do a trial run with one of these. scroll down near the bottom

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Pulled Beef

fukahwee maine

• pantsypants
    this is helpfull thanks  !
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    Do you think you could do this "turbo " or should be low and slow ?
    Toronto
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This is a really great recipe:

It is basically a smoke and braise.  I use a little less liquid than called for in the recipe.  Basically I just cover the veggies and the bottom of the pan.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pantsypants
    oh that looks amazing

Toronto
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited May 2014
    Ya I'm gonna bookmark that @SmokeyPitt‌ chuck has been my nemesis
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    The pepper stout beef cook has been pretty popular here. If you search on Pepper Stout you'll get quite a few posts and see some variations in the beer and recipe.

I highly recommend it.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • pantsypants
    sounds great
    Toronto
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I've taken a section of beef clod, applied rub and smoked it like a butt with no foil, pans, etc. I find it takes a bit longer than a butt and you need to take it to a higher IT. I've also done ClayQ's pulled beef. Both are great.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    @DMW
     can you do this turbo do you think ? or would you recommend keeping it low and slow ?
    Toronto
  • DMW

@DMW
     can you do this turbo do you think ? or would you recommend keeping it low and slow ?

Sorry, not sure. I haven't tried turbo for beef. I would guess it would depend on how beef fat renders.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Low and slow........There is a pretty good tutorial with pictures on Virtualweberbullet.com  Go to your butcher and ask for a full Clod to feed a crowd.  
    Dearborn MI
  • pantsypants
    Thanks for the link .

thats some good info !
    Toronto
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2014
    Low & slow until 160-170 then wrap in HDAF then raise temp to 325-350, cook till 210ish or buttah tender.
    I have tried the 1st phase at 300-325 and I will not do that again. Texture was off, not nearly as moist and hard to pull. Will not do it that way again.
    This was with 2-4lb chuckies.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pantsypants
    Awesome thanks .
    Next question ...... Should I do 1 20lb chuck blade roast ? Or four 5 pounders ?
    Toronto
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have never done a blade roast so @DMW would be the guy on that. All of mine have been in the 3-4lb. That's about the biggest we get around here.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    edited May 2014
    Here's a thread on the beef clod I got:

And here's one of the cooks I did with a clod section and pork butt side by side:

And, these were before I learned how to properly insert images on the forum, so you'll need to click on the thumbnails.

I divided it to 3 sections, just because I had no need to cook it whole at once. In looking at the pic, the one "thick" section is fairly uniform, the "tail" is not as thick. If I wanted to do the whole thing at once, I would probably cut off the thinner section, as it will probably cook faster. The other whole thing would probably take as much time as if it was split in half. With these large cuts, the thickness will determine cook time more than weight.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pantsypants
    @DMW
    Thanks !! i am going to message you tomorrow i think to pick your brain,
    I have 4 lb chuck roast in the fridge as a test run this weekend ,
    Toronto
  • DMW

@DMW
    Thanks !! i am going to message you tomorrow i think to pick your brain,
    I have 4 lb chuck roast in the fridge as a test run this weekend ,

Sure, no problem. My advice tonight may be of suspect quality.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pantsypants
    @DMW
    So would you say to just cook the whole 20 lb piece or cut it up into 3 pieces like you did ?

my concern would be time I am sure that the whole piece would take about 20hours which is fine although if it went over that i would be stressed

Toronto
  • DMW
    @DMW
    So would you say to just cook the whole 20 lb piece or cut it up into 3 pieces like you did ?

my concern would be time I am sure that the whole piece would take about 20hours which is fine although if it went over that i would be stressed

If the whole piece is the same thickness throughout, it will probably cook in the same time as if you separated it, unless when after dividing it is not longer than it is high. It can't hurt to split it, you will get more bark. What cut are you planning to use? 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA