Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here comes the hate

Options
plumbfir01
plumbfir01 Posts: 725
So most of you know I just sold my LBGE all because i wanted a nest setup and got rid of table and ended up getting more then i asked for for the egg and table. I have since kicked around the KJ BIG Joe or Classic with the new cool designs and divide and conquer system they have it seems like lots of innovation for tonight at least, I can get the Classic (LBGE Size) for 854 out the door with cart and side tables. the BIG joe is 1350 for same stuff. I am lookinh at about the same for the LBGE at egg fest after driving to get it.. and about 300 cheaper for the XLBGE but it appears the divide and conquer system offsets the need for Adj rig (at least for some applications) 

So here is the question and dont be hateful guys. I really love the family we have here......regardless of how dysfunctional it is. 
I am looking at the steps kj is taking foward and the egg has not changed... ALSO##### the warranty issue is bothering me. I understand that if i crack my egg, i have to utilize dealer to get a replacement and its at their leisure because of shipping cost unless i want to pay them correct?  Well if you crack KJ, send a pic to warranty dept and they ship you one out directly no charge at all. This is a factor for me since my dealer is almost 2 hours away. 

help, ideas, pros/cons appriciated. 
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    So I take it you like your joe jr?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Oh The Horror

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Yah my dealer told me that today, base cracked and I would be getting a new one when they decide to order more eggs ( in about two months ) because they just received an order the day before.  I just about told him to go F himself but I restrained.  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2014
    Options
    You remind me of an egghead I used to know :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    yes, its a smokin little fool. Once I got the spark screen squared away with them, It was a win-win. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • grege345
    Options
    @plumbfir01‌ do you have problems with temps? I know its a mixed crowd of small owners that have problems. As for goin to a different ceramic I say whatever works for you. Good luck. Btw. That divide and conquer system with the extender would be pretty kick a$€

• plumbfir01
    Options
    no problems getting to temps or maintaining anything. I can be at 350 in 12min. I can hold any temp until i run out of lump. I can get it to 850 pretty easily as well. It will flat out cook. I am thinking the big joe as you can divide the lump or the lbge and another lbge down the road... However i like to cook butts and briskets and would hate to run two setups at same time when i could have a XL with adj rig cranking it out. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Pendejo
    Pendejo Posts: 22
    Options
    Also, this forum is paid for by the BGE Company.  To me, it seems rather unethical to spout a competitive product on their nickel.  You might want to join greeneggers.com .  They are not tied to the corporate website.
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
     However i like to cook butts and briskets and would hate to run two setups at same time when i could have a XL with adj rig cranking it out. 
    There you have it, get the xl.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Thanks for your kind hearted lovin' but i am not specifically speaking on just buying a kj...its trying to weight the options of kj vs bge. If it offends you, oh well. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    McStew said:
    Yah my dealer told me that today, base cracked and I would be getting a new one when they decide to order more eggs ( in about two months ) because they just received an order the day before.  I just about told him to go F himself but I restrained.  

McStew said:

Yep, exactly same here. Only help I got was from the distributor, and we will see if he delivers on his promise. As far as my local dealer, I'm over it.
    Kemah, TX
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Lifetime warranty is king. No clue what the kj is but having to wait is moot. You just find a dealer that is getting ready to order and there you have it. That is exactly what I did. Anyway, just pick what you want and start cooking. Sometimes this forum is like a bunch of women trying figure out what shoes to wear. :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks for your kind hearted lovin' but i am not specifically speaking on just buying a kj...its trying to weight the options of kj vs bge. If it offends you, oh well. 
    Just so you know I was kidding. Do what you think is right. My next buy will be a Big Steel Keg so I can travel to eggfests B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Options
    I am not sure why you are on an EGG forum asking about other brands?
    Why dont you go to their forum and ask questions.
    If this offends you, oh well. Bye bye
  • grege345
    Options
    I thought prices for demo eggs were priced better than what you stated. Even if the demo egg is cheaper that 2 hour drive for a warranty issue would really suck. I think you already made your decision. Your always welcome here IMO. Btw that other forum is like bein on a deserted island. Bbq brethren won't discriminate either. Hate to see you gone forever. Again, good luck

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I honestly think you'll miss the community. Not sure if Joe can offer that. Sure, you'll post here for a bit, but it will become awkward. You'll want to talk about your Joe and how much you love it, but you'll refrain cause the majority likely won't be interested. You also might need help that we won't be able to provide you. I'd hate to see you join the B team, but that's your decision. :)
    @plumbfir01 - when I was trying to figure out which ceramic cooker to buy in 2012, I came very close to buying a Primo XL. I liked the oval shape and  the ability to divide the firebox. I eventualy bought the BGE, because as I did my research, I noted that the BGE community seemed more active and offered a certain camarederie - forums, eggfests, eggcessories, kitsch, etc. Call me a Kool-Aid drinker, but I'm quite happy with my decision. 

Of course, go with what makes you feel best. Why would you really care what a bunch of folks on the interwebs had to say about your choice? Its not their money you're spending, nor are you buying a cooker for their home/family. I may have bought a KJ initially, if I had known about them, but the fact that I had never heard of them sort of illustrates my point. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    mrdnks said:
    I am not sure why you are on an EGG forum asking about other brands?
    Why dont you go to their forum and ask questions.
    If this offends you, oh well. Bye bye
    Its ok since your new on here ill fill ya in  ;)   I come here because these guys are informative and have more info to offer in multiple facets then any other forum anywhere. I ask here because i assure you that some on here have KJ or primo or other brands and can share the pro/cons. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I think there are a lot of guys on here who cook on multiple types of grills so asking about another grill vs BGE isn't bothersome to me. There have been several discussions about KJ grills over the last month again doesn't bother me. If it's not a topic you wish to add to move on. I hope whatever grill you choose you are able to build many happy memories through good food with friends and family! Isn't that what were are all after? LOL can't we all just get along!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • grege345
    Options
    + 1 @Foghorn‌ really well written. Punctuation. Grammar. Wish I had your skilz.

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I have only been on this forum for a month and already I have learned so much and enjoyed contributing to any topics I can. Obviously there is going to be lots of Egg talk on here, but I agree with what was mentioned above, that there are a lot of excellent cooks on here with a vast amount of experience that they are willing to share.  No matter the device, I think we are all here cause we love to talk about cooking, share our recipes and ask/offer help.  In my opinion, the more the merrier on here!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Buy what is best for you. Lots of folks have different cookers here. If someone has a problem with that just ignore them. Don't expect to get answers about your specific cooker but there are lots of good people here that will help you with any cooking related questions you have and maybe even learn a thing or two from you. 

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I looked at both when I bought mine and found them to both be very high quality and capable ceramic cookers.  I went with BGE because it was cheaper (at least what I found) and everything else being equal, I wanted the industry leader.   You will be happy either way.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Little Steven
    Options
    Second time. :))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Second time. :))
    No kidding!  Lately, i've been wondering who's been posting for him.   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Options
    He's really old Caz. Take it easy on the old fart. ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut