Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Table Design

Attached are a couple ideas i have been throwing around in my as to how i want to build my outdoor kitchen for the XL BGE. The first one I would just have the Egg so it would go in the middle. The second one is if decide to keep my WMS and it would go on one end and the Egg on the other that is raised higher. I am thinking of making it out of treated lumber then skinning it with concrete board so I can attach a stone veneer. The doors and drawers would be SS. What are you thoughts and opinions?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    http://www.biggreeneggic.com/building-a-concrete-big-green-egg-table/ No I am thinking of building something like above. Its cheap and will handle a lot of weight.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Why not use metal studs instead of pt framing? That way it won't expand and contract.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    I made one that had metal studs with the stone exterior. It is really heavy. Had to put some extra heavy duty casters on it.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Have to watch for dome clearance in both those pics
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Tspud1
    This was one my first tables. The lid did clear but having the front closed was a hassle for the air draft control.
  • Ladeback69
    Tspud1 said:
    This was one my first tables. The lid did clear but having the front closed was a hassle for the air draft control.

I like the design, but would want a cabinet on both sides. I would love to make it with metal, its just that wood is cheaper and the wife doesn't want me to spend much. I am working on another idea a nd will post it soon when I get it drawn up. I do like the table you built.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • grege345
    Just leave enough room to add another. Mini, small, mini max?

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    What is WMS? If you meant Weber Smokey Mountain, I think you will use it less than you think, if at all. 

I like your idea of an open platform rather than the standard hole-in-the-table-top arrangement. If I ever build a table though, it will just be a table... a work surface. My egg will likely remain in the nest.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    What is WMS? If you meant Weber Smokey Mountain, I think you will use it less than you think, if at all. 

I like your idea of an open platform rather than the standard hole-in-the-table-top arrangement. If I ever build a table though, it will just be a table... a work surface. My egg will likely remain in the nest.

Yes I ment Weber Smokey Mountain and I think you are right and there are better plain smokers out there that would be better to have. I have thought of leaving it in the nest and build something around it. Thats what I am thinking about now, I just haven't drawn it up yet.
    grege345 said:
    Just leave enough room to add another. Mini, small, mini max?

I am thinking about the mini max after talking to the dealer about it which would be nice for 3 people. I bought the XL so I had room for big cooks.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 said:
    I found out there was a lot of wasted space and no storage. Replaced that with this
    I like the design, but would want a cabinet on both sides. I would love to make it with metal, its just that wood is cheaper and the wife doesn't want me to spend much. I am working on another idea a nd will post it soon when I get it drawn up. I do like the table you built.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Tspud1‌...hellava table! ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ladeback, you might want to check Craigslist (Searchtempest, actually. easier CL search). I just looked for a "stainless steel cabinet" within 100 miles and found this for $350 in Westchester NY. Just an example, but you might well find something reasonably priced that could be easily modified.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2014
    I like your first design, tons of table top space and storage.  I used a WSM for 8 years before I got my egg, they're great smokers, but not the best performers in cold Wisconsin winters/winds. 
    There's a lot you can do with concrete blocks and/or pavers.  My XL is still very happy in here all done with pavers and a couple concrete forms...image

Packerland, Wisconsin

• grege345
    That's awesome @ChokeOnSmoke‌ won't work for me but that is great!

• Ladeback69

I like your first design, tons of table top space and storage.  I used a WSM for 8 years before I got my egg, they're great smokers, but not the best performers in cold Wisconsin winters/winds. 

There's a lot you can do with concrete blocks and/or pavers.  My XL is still very happy in here all done with pavers and a couple concrete forms...image

That's what I was thinking using now. Thanks for the photo, I like that and could add on to it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ChokeOnSmoke

That's what I was thinking using now. Thanks for the photo, I like that and could add on to it.

If you're interested, I documented the whole process here:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Ladeback69
    ChockOnSmoke, I take it you glued them together, but what concrete mix did you use for the top and shelves? Can you drill holes in the pavers? I was thinking of adding shelves that would slide in & out and put doors on it. Its a great BBQ Island, about what did it cost if you don't mind saying?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • grege345
    If you hade that opening 30"w x36"h you could get a cabinet from lowes for 100$. Slide right in

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

Ladeback, you might want to check Craigslist (Searchtempest, actually. easier CL search). I just looked for a "stainless steel cabinet" within 100 miles and found this for $350 in Westchester NY. Just an example, but you might well find something reasonably priced that could be easily modified.

Damn it man! Now thats a big ass backsplash! Looks like it probably connected to the dishwash station at one point.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69

Here is what I may put in the opening if I build it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-27-in-4-Drawer-Base-Cabinet-27BC401BP-THD/202600944#customer_reviews

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited May 2014
    Drawers, I like it.  Will provide a lot of storage...

If you didn't see the link above (from another egg site), I documented the whole process and moved it here:
    ...picture didn't come over correctly though.  Should answer the questions you asked above.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    If you plug in the HD tool cabinet to your wood version, you should have room for a slot behind it to store some items on their side like the place setter, grids, etc.  It's not that deep and can't hold those items but is great for everything else.
    XL Owner
  • Ladeback69
    ElCapitan said:

If you plug in the HD tool cabinet to your wood version, you should have room for a slot behind it to store some items on their side like the place setter, grids, etc.  It's not that deep and can't hold those items but is great for everything else.

I know its not deep enough, I figured I would build an open shelf under the egg maybe or another side with shelves and a SS door. Now I am really getting up there in price. Right now its all in my head and may just build the island and top first and go from there. Its fun to dream and hope for things. Nice thing is I have great in-laws that would help.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Well, I know you are definitely thinking it through.  I'm just offering my thoughts because I've been simmering on building something too.

If it was me, I'd put the egg in the middle with a iron grate as the self that it sits on.  I'd slide my ash bucket under the egg and just scoop the ashes out through the grate.  I'd use the right for storage of the big things like the placesetter, woo, grid etc.  I'd use 1/4 plywood to make vertical dividers in that space so that I'm not having to hassle with unstacking those items.  I'd embed a tool cabinet like the one you are linking on the left and leave the slot behind it for storing lump.

XL Owner
  • Ladeback69
    ElCaptain, I like the thought of plywood to divide things and storage for the place for the lump. I have a 20 gallon trash can with a lid I use for lump, I'm thinking of putting on wheels if I do this. I have been pricing out materials for the island and making it out of treated lumber and concrete board is the cheapest tell I start looking for stone vinear to put on it. I was trying to build this for under $500, but I don't think it is possible unless I just stucco the outside with a concrete top. Now I'm thinking of using concrete blocks and brick on the outside now. Cheaper and will last a long time.

Kansas City, Mo.