Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Bisquits advice needed

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried to bake some bisquits last night and they flopped. I baked them on a baking stone that I sat directly on the grill. I preheated the stone and place the bisquits on the stone. The bottoms burned and the tops did not brown but were done. Wondering if I should have placed fire brick on the grill and the stone on the brick raising it higher from the coals and maybe not preheat the stone or maybe put the bisquits in a pan and place it on the preheated stone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think I would like to try and bake a cake in it when I figure out the bisquit thing.

Comments

• Lumpy,[p]I've never done that before. [p]But I would try cooking them without the stone.
    Put your biscuits in a normal metal baking pan
    and place that on the grill in its normal position
    without a stone.[p]You probably don't need the concentrated heat of the
    stone for something biscuits.[p]thanks.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Lumpy,
    The setup for baking on the egg is straightforward. The easiest way is to use two pizza stones sitting on top of one another. Then, place the biscuits in a pan and put the pan on spacers on the pizza stones. The key is to allow air to pass between the bottom of the pan and ceramic mass. Also, when baking things on the egg, allow for an extra 50 degrees added to the baking temperature suggested.[p]Many people bake bread directly on the stones. When doing this, sprinkle cornmeal on the board (pizza peel) that you use to place the loaf on the stone. The cornmeal has a natural effect of air spacing for bread.[p]The last and most important point is to get your egg and stones to about 450-500 degrees and hold the temperature there for a half hour. This is done to make sure that the ceramic mass is sufficiently heated. [p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I'll second that on the spacer between the stone and the pan. If you get one of those cooling racks like you cool cakes on it will work perfectly. Just lay it on the stone and place the pan of biscuits on top of it. It will certainly make a difference.[p]Ashley

• Thanks Guys, this should help.[p]