Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg carten

Options
This no longer available right?

XLBGE 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Hello???
    I know there's a lot of new guys but surely someone knows what this is.

XLBGE 
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Last we heard was that he was looking to re-source components and manufacturing
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Someone said last fall that he'd moved to Ohio I think and was trying to find someone to water jet new ones. Someone else started a thread to get a head count of possible buyers hoping to jump start him. Haven't heard anything since.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Who are you and what did you do to my friend MCN??   >:P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse‌ I emailed him last week about getting another eggcarten and never heard back.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Oh well. Maybe he'll come back. Surely it was a profitable side job for him. @cazzy‌ Just laying a little lower these days

XLBGE 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Options

@cazzy‌
    Just laying a little lower these days

These days...don't you mean the past year? :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    I made my own it's light weight all aluminium does not get hot at all. An it's very stable. If anyone wants dimensions let me know
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    jscarfo said:

I made my own it's light weight all aluminium does not get hot at all. An it's very stable. If anyone wants dimensions let me know

How can it not get hot on the bottom?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Its aluminum. I'm sure it gets warm but not really hot. I have cooked for hours in my mini in its carten directly on a plastic cooler with no issues.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Moved to Ohio and looking for a water jet supplier?  

I can help this guy.  I am an MFG REP in Ohio and have a few shops he can contact.  Could someone send me a DM with his name/email?  Thanks.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I just found this website and sent an email to the address listed on the site.  If anyone has better contact information, please let me know.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @NDG‌ Hope he gets back with you. He apparently has numerous emails to that address that have not been replied to. @cazzy‌ Man it's getting better every week. Life is great, girls are growing and so much fun, just a little busy these days. Still have to work full time and finish school full time, two more semester!

XLBGE 
  • jscarfo
    Options
    Yes it does get warm but you can put your hand on bottom and hold it there. I welded 3 pieces of aluminium angle iron to bottom then i bought gasket for large egg and cut pieces to fit on angle iron and on top where egg was close to sides to protect egg and help with heat. There's enough air flow under egg I guess cause after 2 hr cook at 500 degrees I would have no problem cooking on top of plastic cooler. I plan on bringing it on my boat this summer to a small island we go to so I wanted to make sure it wasn't crazy hot on return trip. It fits nice in carrier it's stable, I'm sure there's other ones out there. But I'm happy with this. This pic was before I added gasket
  • jscarfo
    Options
    I also waited for the egg carten but I needed a way to move my egg around so couldn't wait any longer sounds like he could have a good side bussiness if he wanted to
  • ktm101
    ktm101 Posts: 61
    Options
    I actually own a machine shop and could build something like these, not that I want to steal his idea. I have a little different way I think they would be better. Maybe it's time I make a few. .
  • jscarfo
    Options
    I agree I don't care what state you live in. There has to be metal supplier and machine shop to make them. A friend of mine is making one like mine out of steel, much cheaper than aluminium then he's having it powder coated. It's so convenient to put it in the car and go somewhere
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I thought he was selling them in a dealership too. I mean, there's at least a 30 people waiting here to buy one

XLBGE 
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options

look on Craigs list and find someone in your area with a CNC water jet, give them some dimensions and get it cut.  If someone has some extra aluminum hanging around a shop in your neighborhood  you could talk them into doing it this design is one piece bent.  once the minimaxx arrives I will make one up and post it up. 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Plasma cut is fine, and much cheaper than water jet, which is much cheaper than laser - which would be ridiculously wasteful.
    Options
    yes if you want to get technical about it, plasma is fine.  Water jets are common in our area and so much cooler   B-)
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options

side panels on my table were cut out with a water jet

side.JPG 113.5K
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • ktm101
    ktm101 Posts: 61
    Options
    I agree on the plasma being plenty good enough and cheaper, but also it is whatever you can find to get one made.  If waterjet is easier to find in your area and you are only making one it probably wouldn't be much different.  I might just have to buy a mini and a small to get the fit just right, now that is an awesome problem to have!!! :D
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Wow so I was just talking to a buddy earlier about where to get some metal fabricated and he reminded me he is a manager at a steel processing plant. He now has some plans and going to spend a few weeks piddling with scraps to see what he can come up with.

XLBGE 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Why not make your own out of plywood and studs?  Cost and labor is hard to beat.

http://www.wessb.com/Tips/smtransport/small_transporter.htm

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Thanks @Focker, I just bought a small and was hoping to get an Egg Carten but I will be making this instead.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @McStew‌ a CNC Plasma cut is precise with extremely little to no slag. The CNC Water Jet cut just as precise w/ zero slag. However the cost to operate the water jet cutter is high due to the upkeep and cost/waste of the abrasive media that is used and for a consumer that on average translates to approx double the cut cost (not always but, on average). Yep it's cool but, I like the CNC Plasma for my $$. Just my .02
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • McStew
    Options
    wow this place is amazing at times 

@focker nice job simple easy and gets the job done 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Focker said:

No problem @JRWhitee.  You could go a bit higher with the studs.

I cut the top piece wider to allow for handles using a 1" spade bit and jigsaw.  Also used two studs at each corner.  The birch plywood and premium studs I culled when I worked in the lumberyard.  The Sam bottle opener was a gift from a friend who visited Boston.  Nomex was scrap.  The most expensive part was the Sherwin Williams Ext Primer and Paint.  It was a fun winter project here in the midwest.  

thanks again @focker my buddy has a wood shop in his basement he can do just about anything.

Johns Creek, Georgia